Mystery/Thriller/Suspense SYW Challenge

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Following on from a suggestion or two on the SYW boards, I would like to suggest a similar type of SYW challenge that the Historical board is running.

So we pick a theme for a month and post a scene from our WIP matching the topic.

Before I go and make up some ground rules, how many of you would be interested? Any suggested topics?

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Some suggested guidelines. Feel free to comment and make suggested changes.

I think it would be good to start our first post with the first chapter of our work up to a max of 2000 words so we can get a feel for your WIP. From then on will will do scenes on a certain topic.

If you post a piece for critique, it would be expected that you critique another's work within the same challenge month.

SYW critiquing protocols apply. Keep it nice and value add. Line by lines are not necessary but encouraged.

We need a word limit. Any thoughts? 2000 is a good number for me.

Any suggested topics?

JJ

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi JJ - If a historical can hop in here ... I don't think it's necessarily good to set a word limit, but I do think it's good to ask participants to post the number of words at the top of the post. We ran into a few problems when not quite enough was included in the post and you don't want to make readers cut something that could have been very helpful.

Suggested topics for your forum might include: fear, love, death, intrigue, the moment of truth, deception, fight or confrontation, chase/get away, covering up/red herrings, the law, etc. Since two of my WIPs are semi-thrillers, I'll be watching for your topics. Puma

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, this might be something I'd be interested in too.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I think for the rest of this month we should start off with the opening chapter of our WIP. Over the next few weeks we can come up some some topics like Puma has offered up for the October challenge.

The thread title for your post should be - M/T/S Challenge - (Month) - (Theme)

I'll go post mine soon.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted my first chapter for the challenge in SYW. And I note that Puma has posted for the challenge as well. So don't be shy, come on over and post your first chapter in SYW.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I see that Bardskye has posted a first chapter in the challenge.

Even those of you who do not wish to post your first chapter, perhaps you could lend some support by providing some honest feedback to those who have.

Drop into the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense part of the Share Your Work Board. See you there.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
So callalily and Narnia have joined in by posting their first chapters for the challenge. Not too late for anyone else to post theirs. Have a look at some of the quality critiques that have already been offered up.

It doesn't matter if you've finished your novel or are still working on it. Even ones you may have shelved or have posted in SYW before. You will get some quality advice if you post.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't want the Historical people to take all the glory, do you?

Just to let those who critted my chapter know: I haven't been around for a day or so but I'll be on later tonight to read through everything. (I wouldn't want you to think I'm ignoring you.)