What was the first piece of writing you sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
What was the first piece of writing you ever sold, and how much did you get for it?

When I was... um, I guess about 16, I sold a short story to a little Christian devotional magazine called Evangel. It's one of those little pamphlet thingies they put out on the "literature" tables at church, if you know what I mean. The story was a parable about how nobody is good enough to get into heaven on their own.

I got $40 for about 300 words. I was thrilled. I framed my acceptance letter. :)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
A game review for DailyRadar.com. I think it paid about $100, but it also opened the door for reviews from one of the head corporation's print magazines, Next Gen. Capsule review of the same game. I think it paid about the same.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it didn't "sell," persay, as it wasn't published anywhere yet, but I did win a $1,500 scholarship for one of my short stories.

Still working on the novels...

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean, "sold"? Never heard such a word.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sold a short story about a woman who gets what she wishes for, with disastrous results, to a weekly magazine that comes with the newspaper in Indiana.

I would not have made that sale were it not for an online critique group, and the member who did illustrations for the magazine coming to her editor's rescue when its slated story was pulled by the author last-minute.

I think I made $50.

Maryn, saddened to realize how long ago that was

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I sold a "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" story to Pocket's Strange New Worlds 8 anthology. It sold for $250.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't sold anything, but a short story won first place in my college's literature competition my senior year. No money involved, but it felt pretty darn good.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sale

A story called "The Ordeal" to Far West Magazine for $450, which was a month's wages at the time.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Didn't sell anything until I sold my novel to a small literary press in 2005. The money is still coming in so I don't have a figure to give you although my first cheque was for $3,650 or thereabouts.
Linnea

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd won writing competitions and a writing fellowship in grad school and those kinds of things, but my first sale for a particular work was the novel that's coming out in February.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
A short essay in a magazine for $50 plus copies of the mag.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
$275.00 for a story sold to Algis Budrys’ old TomorrowSF magazine. He also threw in a lifetime subscription to the magazine. Then it immediately went from a print magazine to an electronic one on the www, then it crashed and burned out of existence, which merely bode ill for the existence of the next many rags to which I sold stories, almost all of which also went promptly out of business.

The sale, by the way, was in 1994. The story didn’t finally appear until 1997. As far as I know, no one except Algis read it, and it vanished without a trace.

I also promptly lost the secret info he sent along with the check, info I needed to log onto the magazine’s electronic site, and never saw that one in all it’s electro-printed gloy.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I am a beadwork artist, and I wrote up some directions for how to do a particular stitch. I sent it into a beading magazine, thinking they would take my idea and rewrite it "professionally". I didn't even think of them taking my writing at all. Not only did they take it, they printed it pretty much "as is" and even paid me $225 for it!! I was thrilled!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I sold a poem to the now-defunct Cedar Rock Magazine when I was 12 or 13. Got paid $4 for it, which back then (early 80s) was a tidy little sum for a kid. :)

My first "real" sale--that is, my first sale as an adult--was an article about marketing wool to Sheep! Magazine in 1998 (or 1999, can't remember now). $80 was a very welcome addition to my budget that month!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My first was a short story, first person, present tense, and the narrator dies at the end. Got $100 for it.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I never sold my work. I never tried. I most likely never will either; try or sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.