Question for people with kids about medicne. . .

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
So my older daughter has a cold or something with a bit of a temputure. I've already called her doctor, I'm waiting on them to call me back. In the meantime I want to give her some meds to help with her temp.

I only have children's Tylenol. I usually give her infants. She's 22 months and weighs 30 lbs. Is it safe to give her the lowest dose since she's just two months shy of the age and well within the weight? I think it will help her feel better. . .

Anyone know if it's alright?

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I think medicine like that is mainly about the weight of the child in terms of dosing and such. I babysat a LANKY 3 year old and I always gave her a dose according to her weight, not her age, because she was a full dosing bracket lower in terms of weight.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure the weight is the way to go.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, my son was always heavier than the "norm" of his age. So I just went by weight. I do worry still about giving him medicine. I've noticed sometimes the behavioral changes while on OTC meds and it's scary.

Having kids is a nightmare.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Here are a few links with dosing information ala Dr. Sears. A very helpful site ;)

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp for tylenol

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp for motrin

for all other meds with links for dosing : http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089900.asp#T089902

Also, if you are concerned about the correct dosage you can call your doctor and speak with his/her nurse or talk to your local pharmacist. Always read the labels correctly to make sure you are giving the proper dose for the proper medication. Infant Tylenol and Children's Tylenol are significantly different, so never use a dropper from one med for another. Use the designated dispenser utensil to avoid overdose errors.

I hope your little one feels better. Unless your child has a history of febrile seizures, doctors don't recommend treating a fever unless it is 101, but you know your child and what will make her comfortable.

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone. Go by the weight. My daughter is smaller than most kids her age, which means we can't use the standard dosing instructions. I almost always call the pharmacist to see how much to give.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! After reading through your responses I gave her a dose of children's tylenol. Her temp is 100.7 rectally which isn't high at all. I think it's just a little bug, nothing to be worried about really. She just isn't feeling well.

I think she's also getting one last tooth in which may be causing all these problems. Having kids is stressful! But I love them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Just to add my thoughts on this: I don't treat low-grade fevers. The fever is part of the immune response. The viruses that make us sick thrive at 98.6, but falter at higher temperatures. So, unless my kids have a specific ache, I let the fever go and give them popsicles or cool drinks.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! After reading through your responses I gave her a dose of children's tylenol. Her temp is 100.7 rectally which isn't high at all. I think it's just a little bug, nothing to be worried about really. She just isn't feeling well.

I think she's also getting one last tooth in which may be causing all these problems. Having kids is stressful! But I love them.

My 18 month old has been pushing her canines in for a few months now, and once in a while she goes through a bad spell with lots of fussing, and drooling and a temp around 101-102. Wish those little teethies will come in already!

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
My 18 month old has been pushing her canines in for a few months now, and once in a while she goes through a bad spell with lots of fussing, and drooling and a temp around 101-102. Wish those little teethies will come in already!

It is a canine! The last one! She was also a little whiny so I thought why not give her some meds? Maybe she's having some discomfort. She's still rolling around on the floor trying to get to sleep.

Sigh!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Just to add my thoughts on this: I don't treat low-grade fevers. The fever is part of the immune response. The viruses that make us sick thrive at 98.6, but falter at higher temperatures. So, unless my kids have a specific ache, I let the fever go and give them popsicles or cool drinks.

I agree with Perks too. Unless the munchkin is feeling awky or is in discomfort, I will hold back on the meds. I believe 103 or higher is when the DR. wants you to call her. (or him)

BTW, apparently there is some controversy on cold medicine for kids. There have been some bad reactions on it, and more research needs to be done. I'll see if I can find the link.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
It is a canine! The last one! She was also a little whiny so I thought why not give her some meds? Maybe she's having some discomfort. She's still rolling around on the floor trying to get to sleep.

Sigh!

Awww. poor wittle one! Dont you just hate it when you feel so helpless? Give her some extra cuddles from Turkey! :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, I only give any sort of decongestant at bedtime, and only if it's really bad stuffiness that will keep them from resting. Other than that, it's fruit tea and ice cream and watching movies on the sofa.

I think a lot of the concern is over cough medicine and especially the combo drugs for 'multi-symptom' relief.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Perks too. Unless the munchkin is feeling awky or is in discomfort, I will hold back on the meds. I believe 103 or higher is when the DR. wants you to call her. (or him)

BTW, apparently there is some contraversy on cold medicine for kids. There have been some bad reactions on it, and more research needs to be done. I'll see if I can find the link.

I've heard about that. I threw out my tylenol w/cold meds after that report and for this time I just gave her the plain kind. I wouldn't have worried about her temp but she just seems so uncomfortable!

I don't think her doc is too concerned as they haven't called back so there's that.