Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

True North

Chief Servant of Queen Lilo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a short story that I hope to get published at some point. It is based very loosely on my own experience with my dad and learning about my biological father. I was told at 10 years old that my dad who had raised me since I was 3 months was not my biological father. I've always wondered if I would have react if I had been told at 20 or 30 or whatever rather than 10 that my dad wasn't my biological father. So, I'm writing a story about a girl who finds out that her dad is not her biological father, only she finds out at 21 and the reason she finds out is because her father is dying. Her parents did not intend to tell her (which I have been told my parents would not have, had circumstances been different.), but her father had requested that she come and see him. She has to decide to meet him.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either being adopted or having adopted a stepchild or anything like that. I really don't even remember how I was told. I remember being sat down and talking about it. I remember asking questions and stuff, but I don't remember hearing the actual words that told me that I was my dad's by choice, not biology. I was also not legally adopted, I was just always his. I am not sure how I would feel if I had been told later on. When I was told, I wasn't angry, I wasn't sad, I accepted it without even batting an eye and thought "cool, more people to love". I've been told several times that everyone was amazed at how I took the news.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Other children seem to feel the same way. I have an adopted son and have known quite a few adopted children, and if told when they are young, they seem to be more curious than anything.

I don't know anyone who wasn't told until they were 21, though I know that it does happen.

My uncle had a child with his first wife, and in the divorce, she got full custody. She pushed my uncle totally out of my cousin's life, then told my cousin that his father didn't love him and chose to leave. The boy was very young, and it was the last time he saw his father.

That is, until about a month ago.

He was traveling and would be going through the town my uncle lives in. I have no idea how he even knew where my uncle lived. Anyway, he called and basically said, "I don't know if you even care, but I'm going to be in town if you want to see me."

My uncle was thrilled, and asked him to come stay at his house. His son agreed, but informed him that he wasn't traveling alone...his wife and two daughters would need a place to stay, too!

My cousin and his family stayed with my uncle, his new wife, and their daughter for several days, getting to know one another. They plan on staying in contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.