PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy books at airport?

maestrowork
09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Finally, a literature-related thread in office party! :)

Do you buy books at airport book stores? If so, what kind(s) and why? And where do you read them? Do you finish them?

I've flown over 1000 times and I've only bought one book at an airport. I was bored and had nothing to do and I decided to read a MM paperback on a 4-hour flight. I didn't even finish the first chapter. There were better ways to spend $6.99 + tax.

Sarita
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Once. Howard's End by EM Forester, when I was unexpectedly trapped in Atlanta for 10 hours, 11 years ago. I finished it there and then.

I always have a book or a draft of mine with me when I fly.

Marlys
09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Sure, I buy books everywhere. If the book turns out to be a keeper, I keep it. Otherwise, I leave it on the plane or in the airport.

What kind? I tend to go for genre on flights: mystery, thriller, horror, romance, romantic suspense. But that tends to be what's available in airport shops anyway.

If I plan ahead, though, I'm more likely to pick something up used so I don't spend as much money. I try not to bring library books because I'm afraid I'll lose them on the trip, but I have occasionally.

Where do I read them? On the plane, in the airport, at the hotel if I'm traveling alone. And unless they're utter crap, I finish them. Heck, sometimes I finish even the crappy ones, if I don't have anything else to read.

Dawno
09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
All the time. More often than not I finish the "airplane" book I brought with me and face a long leg on my flight with nothing to read. I usually pick up something I've been meaning to get but now and then I find something by an author I've never read. It was one of those purchases that got me reading Robert Crais a couple of years ago.

III
09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I always bring a book to the airport, but if I finish it on the trip and don't have a spare, I'll buy one at the airport for the flight home. I think the last one I bought was Caleb Carr's The Alienst which I thoroughly enjoyed.

EriRae
09-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I hate to pack books, so yes, I buy them at the airport. That way, I don't bring a whole bag of books with me; otherwise, I would spend the whole vacation w/ my nose buried in a book.

ETA: I don't travel often. I've bought a couple of Danielle Steele books in the airport. A Mary Higgins Clark. A Jude Devereaux (sp?). I think I bought my first James Patterson at an airport, too. Pretty covers, I recognized the names, I liked the titles and whatever blurb they had. Airport reading=entertain me and get me there without thinking of falling out of the sky and exploding into a million pieces upon impact. Yes, I finish them at home if not on the plane.

Elincoln
09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Never. They never have anything I would consider a good read on a trip, so I've been known to bring atleast two or three books with me.

The one time I was left without something to read, I had bought a notebook and started writing quick stories to entertained some kids with.

RLB
09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh yes. If I have forgotten to pack a book, I'll do it. But I usually wait until I'm connecting in an airport with a bigger bookstore. Some of those have a pretty decent selection, as opposed to the little soda and magazine newstands. If it's a short flight, I'll go for a meaty magazine.

dclary
09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
On the rare occasions my laptop/ipaq/ps2 is out of juice and I've somehow forgotten to bring my own, I've often bought a sudoku book, but never a novel.

Adam Israel
09-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I've bought several books at airport bookstores. I usually bring one or two books with me when I travel but if I finish with those, or if a book catches my eye, I'll pick it up. I've always finished them, too.

I'm picky about the books I buy, though. I don't buy it just because I'm traveling or in an airport. It's always a book I would have bought elsewhere.

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I try not to. Really. This is because my suitcase is usually packed with books, and I don't need to carry anything else! Still...bookstores are my bane. Or the bane of my bank account rather. I think the last thing I bought from a bookstore was some Harlan Coben book, when the US T&F coach told me they were college roomies. Thought I'd try him out, but we were in an airport. Foiled again!

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Only if I've finished the ones I brought along with me, and like someone else said, only something I would've also bought at home. I try not to buy the popular mystery/suspense because my mom buys all of them then donates them to the family library and I can never remember what she has

I'm more likely to buy a magazine or sudoku.

notpc
09-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes. The last one was "The Razors Edge".

But I also like to write when I'm flying. You have so much time before the flight, in-flight and catching joining flights that a person could write War and Peace. (OK maybe just read it.)

zahra
09-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I always bring a book to the airport, but if I finish it on the trip and don't have a spare, I'll buy one at the airport for the flight home. I think the last one I bought was Caleb Carr's The Alienst which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I bought that one, too, but am luke-warm towards it, which is a bummer when you're on a long flight. I also got Stephen King's 'Cell' for one flight, and I hated it. My best airport buy was probably 'The Cases that Haunt Us', by John Gray, about famous unsolved cases.

Books on the plane are such an essential to me that I try and buy my books at regular shops and save them up for the flight if I have one coming up (there's a couple of Ruth Rendell/ Barbara Vine ones I've got my eye on for my next trip in a couple of weeks; I broke down and read 'The Boleyn Inheritance' last week, whoops). I don't like leaving myself only the choice of what's available at the airport. Suppose there's absolutely NOTHING I fancy?

Claudia Gray
09-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Sure, sometimes. I'm more likely to bring my own, but I've always been open to picking up something new (particularly if delays look likely -- I'm a quick reader). In the past two years, I've shopped at airport stores more often, because I want to look at what kind of book gets sold there, and see what they're doing.

I've also rented books at the airport -- anybody else seen this? About 20 airports are on a network that lets you buy a book and then return it to a participating bookstore in the chain for all but $4 back. This was how I read The Da Vinci Code.

maestrowork
09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Rent a book? Somehow the idea kind of irks me. Irrational, I know. But how do I know people didn't read the book in the airport toilet? Like, in Minneapolis or something?

JoNightshade
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I will do almost anything to stave of the mind-numbing, horrifying limbo of the airport.

So yes, I will buy a book at the airport. Generally airport bookstores have a smattering of classics and I'll usually pick one I haven't read yet. I think I got Frankenstein this way.

I usually do take a book with me, but I'm pretty sure that all airports generate a kind of mental-stasis field that makes me unable to do more than sit there staring at other people or flip through a magazine. The book I bring myself usually goes unopened. So if I stumble into a bookstore, and something catches my eye, I will buy it. Purely out of desperation.

III
09-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Speaking of airport books, I flew from San Antonio to Minneapolis last week (insert bathroom joke here) and in both airports the bookstores had a big display out front stocked completely with "Lottery" by AW's own Patricia Wood. I swear, it was like a Harry Potter release. I had to email her, it was so neat. I actually had my own copy I bought at B&N and brought to read on the trip.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-08-2007, 01:40 AM
I buy a book in every airport I land in. It's kind of a hobby.

veinglory
09-08-2007, 02:23 AM
I do and it always bugs me that I didn't get one at a full sized bookstore earlier as the selection, it sucketh. I normally scounge up something in the fantasy or pop science genre.

KTC
09-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Wherever I may be and books may be, I will buy. The last book I bought at the airport was DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM by the incomparable David Sedaris. I was not boarding a plane. I was sitting in arrivals with a notepad writing the arrival happiness. It's a writing exercise I have done a few times. I can't go by a stand of books without walking away with at least one. And I always read while flying anyway.

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Yes, while in the Heathrow Airport, I bought the Bourne Trilogy.

zahra
09-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Yes, while in the Heathrow Airport, I bought the Bourne Trilogy.
And if your experience of 'Hell's Row' airport is anything like mine, you probably managed to read the whole thing by the time you got to the front of the check-in queue. :)

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 05:07 AM
And if your experience of 'Hell's Row' airport is anything like mine, you probably managed to read the whole thing by the time you got to the front of the check-in queue. :) LOL...fortunately, I have never had any problems at Heathrow or Gatwick. Mostly have nightmares in Johannesburg but not often. The worst airport I have been in was Miami, Florida. I avoid it like the plague now.

Danger Jane
09-08-2007, 05:22 AM
I've also flown a lot (not 1000+ times, but I'm a wee babe) and I've only bought one book because I only HAD one to get me through the 16 hour flight to Italy. Got Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz.

I just save my Vogues for plane rides.

Shady Lane
09-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Nope. I read magazines at airports. Usually Allure. I love magazines almost as much as I love books--and they're better for certain occasions.

maestrowork
09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
And if your experience of 'Hell's Row' airport is anything like mine, you probably managed to read the whole thing by the time you got to the front of the check-in queue. :)

Tell me about it. It took me over 3 friggin hours just to get to the gates (no time to shop either). Hell's Row is right. What's wrong with that airport? I thought JFK was bad enough...

The_Grand_Duchess
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
LOL...fortunately, I have never had any problems at Heathrow or Gatwick. Mostly have nightmares in Johannesburg but not often. The worst airport I have been in was Miami, Florida. I avoid it like the plague now.

I have never had any luck in Frankford. Every single time I fly through that place something happens. I freaking hate that airport.