PDA

View Full Version : What branch of Paganism is everyone here?

TsukiRyoko
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Just wondering.

I'm an eclectic witch (Wiccan denomination), and I usually practice green magicks.

Your turn.

PattiTheWicked
09-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I've sort of evolved over the last twenty years. I started out as a moderately-fluffy kitchen witch, and have transitioned into a Celtic-flavored eclectic something-or-other. I do belong to a Wiccan coven, but I consider myself Pagan first and foremost, because not all of the rules of Wicca fit into my worldview. I honor gods of the Celtic pantheon, but lately I've been getting nudges from some Roman deities, which I'm investigating further.

I wouldn't call myself a Celtic reconstructionist, but more of a Celtic traditionalist.

sunna
09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Solitary eclectic Wiccan

C.bronco
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
McDonalds but sometimes Arby's.

Sorry I couldn't resist

TsukiRyoko
09-07-2007, 11:55 PM
"Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"

"I'm a Manwich."

http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/252870.jpg

She_wulf
09-10-2007, 01:18 AM
I've sort of evolved over the last twenty years. I started out as a moderately-fluffy kitchen witch, and have transitioned into a Celtic-flavored eclectic something-or-other. I do belong to a Wiccan coven, but I consider myself Pagan first and foremost, because not all of the rules of Wicca fit into my worldview. I honor gods of the Celtic pantheon, but lately I've been getting nudges from some Roman deities, which I'm investigating further.

I wouldn't call myself a Celtic reconstructionist, but more of a Celtic traditionalist.
I didn't realize there was an actual designation as that.

Huh, I'll admit doing the research for my last work put me onto the 'Celtic traditionalist' path. Mostly because my MC's story was set in AD 62. There is a bit of 'Dis Pater' cult influence in the story too. (Which later morphed into early Christianity) I had to weed out all the eastern influence from my reference material before I could glimpse what the real religion was like.

BTW I was a dyed in the wool Protestant up until about 10 years ago. Too many myths began to overlap and I began to rip apart all the notions I'd grown up with and boil them down to which mythology they sprang from. Which is why I'll not profess to be Wiccan. There is too much cross culture contamination for my taste. Gardner channeled too many other religions IMO.

PattiTheWicked
09-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Heh. I'm not sure there's such a designation as "Celtic traditionalist" either, but it's the nearest thing I can think to describe what it is I do.

I've found that while I've got a lot of Celtic influence going on, I'm also quite drawn to the Roman pantheon and the Norse as well. It's partly the warrior culture, I suspect, but since both of those groups merged in with the Celts of the British Isles, maybe it would be more accurate to call myself a "British traditionalist"... but then people assume I'm talking about BTW, which I'm not.

It's a conundrum, I tell ya.

Carole
09-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm unaffiliated. :D

DeleyanLee
09-10-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm a Heathen, not a Pagan ;=) --I'm Asatru (Norse).

plaidearthworm
09-10-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm open-source pagan, kinda like Linux for the soul. The kernel gets rebuilt every few years, and new apps come along to make life better.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-10-2007, 03:32 AM
Casual eclectic unaffiliated solitary ... doin' as I will when it causes no harm and doin' as I must when it does.

She_wulf
09-10-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm open-source pagan, kinda like Linux for the soul. The kernel gets rebuilt every few years, and new apps come along to make life better.

Is there Firefox for ceremonies too? Just funnin' with ya.

plaidearthworm
09-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Is there Firefox for ceremonies too? Just funnin' with ya.

Absolutely! It provides a smoother, more interactive ritual than Microsoft covenware. And I use Mozilla Thunderbird to receive those Divine emails (messages from the ether);)

PattiTheWicked
09-10-2007, 06:40 AM
If you close your circle with Ctrl-Alt-Del, you might just be a technopagan...

TsukiRyoko
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
If you close your circle with Ctrl-Alt-Del, you might just be a technopagan...
I wonder what F10 does....

Deirdre
09-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Druid (Celtic)
Wiccan (Celtic)
Orisa (the West African flavor more than the new world sort), I'm omo (child of) Olokun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olokun).

Nice thing about being a polytheist is multiple ways of looking at the world.

HeronW
01-26-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm sort of a calico witch, a little bit of everything: drawn to the triple Goddesses in several cultures, hit on the Egyptian pantheon a lot, (close to home here), and not afraid to place a curse to rectify a wrong done to my partner. Said curse lifted as soon as the recompense came.

truelyana
01-26-2008, 03:32 AM
I used to be like a white magic witch once, but now I'm just an uknown alien.

Shweta
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm sort of a hindu heathen with shamanic tendencies; no idea what to call that.

Mr Flibble
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Odinist.

Jenan Mac
02-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Hillbilly hedgewitch.
I suppose I could call it fam/trad, in the sense of looking at my sister and my aunt at various times and saying "dayum, you too?", and raising the short people Pagan. But that has overtones of "I learned it at my Welsh Granny's knee", which I didn't. And anyway, I like the alliteration.

Atlantis
02-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm a druid. Noboby in my family knows that though. My sister's a born again christian who has managed to drag my parents into her religion. My three other siblings don't give a hoot about religion. They all think I believe in nothing and hate all religion. I do really, really dislike organized religion but I don't hate "all" religion. I just like to keep a safe distance from it. The reason I haven't told them I'm a druid (well my mum knows) is because I don't want to explain it to them (its private) and I don't want them to whisper behind my back that they think I'm in a cult or something. Buggar that.

Matera the Mad
02-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Eclectic heretic

I have been the head Pope of the Church of the Universal Solvent since around 1980

My family were mostly Lutheran, Hypocryte Synod

donroc
02-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Forelock in my wasted youth, now a Lockless.

Death Wizard
02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm a Buddhist, but more in the psychological sense than the ritualistic sense.

Straka
02-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Curiously enough I've never meet a person in person who openly admitted to worshipping pagan gods. (besides Indians)

Are there people out there who still worship gods like Odin?

Shweta
02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Curiously enough I've never meet a person in person who openly admitted to worshipping pagan gods. (besides Indians)

Seems so (http://www.odinsvolk.ca/O.V.A.%20-%20ASATRU%20INTRO.htm) :)

We have a couple right here, I believe.

Unless you're part of a "major world religion" (and even to some extent for a Hindu) it's easier just not to admit it in person. We get condescension, lack of understanding, and far too many evangelicals. Easiest to follow our faith in private.

Medievalist
02-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm sort of a hindu heathen with shamanic tendencies; no idea what to call that.

Indo-European? :D

Shweta
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Indo-European? :D

:D
...Except I can make a case for some of the gods I look to being more likely to have been Dravidian or other-tribal in origin.

Medievalist
02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
:D
...Except I can make a case for some of the gods I look to being more likely to have been Dravidian or other-tribal in origin.

Indo-Europeans stole acquired from every group and place they met . . .

Mr Flibble
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Well I said I was an Odinist, so that would be ....yes?

Plenty of 'em round these here parts. No, not Scandinavia.

And yes, as Shweta says, not always advisable to advertise it - Christians always think I'm in mortal peril for my soul and try and convert me. I quite openly admit it to anyone who isn't of a converting frame of mind though.

Death Wizard
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Unless you're part of a "major world religion" (and even to some extent for a Hindu) it's easier just not to admit it in person. We get condescension, lack of understanding, and far too many evangelicals. Easiest to follow our faith in private.

Though I am a member of a major world religion, I still agree with everything you just said. Wish I didn't have to, but I do.

Jenan Mac
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

IME, most people know way more Pagans than they think they do. Not all of us run about wearing pentacles the size of a dinner plate, and looking like rejects from an off-label Renfaire. And many Pagans are wary of getting into religious discussions. The suggestion that they'd have to "openly admit to" it sounds a bit like they're about to confess to torturing small creatures under the light of the full moon or something.

Jenan Mac
02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Though I am a member of a major world religion, I still agree with everything you just said. Wish I didn't have to, but I do.

When we lived in SC I was advised that, if I wore a pentacle, many people'd assume I was Jewish. <thud> Since I didn't wear a pent, and Mr. Mac is Roman Catholic, people just assumed I was, too. It was easier not to elaborate. Sometimes you just don't feel like being the Pagan Poster Child. :D

Sarita
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM

When I lived in South America (Peru,) I met entire communities who still worshiped lesser known Inka Gods. Very interesting stuff. They actually put on a Catholic face when their local missionaries come to town, but the minute they move on, they're back to the Inka traditions. Even their local churches had removable decorations.

I'm not even talking middle of the amazon or secluded mountain tops. The town I lived in had a pop. of 40,000. Different families would have shrines that they would hike to, to worship in private.

sunna
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
When we lived in SC I was advised that, if I wore a pentacle, many people'd assume I was Jewish. <thud> Since I didn't wear a pent, and Mr. Mac is Roman Catholic, people just assumed I was, too. It was easier not to elaborate. Sometimes you just don't feel like being the Pagan Poster Child. :D

When I lived in VA I got that a lot! Then again, I get it up here in ME, too. About as often as I get people grabbing my pentacle - which is not at all dinner-plate-sized ;) - and dragging it (and by consequence, me) into their faces for a closer look, then telling me how cool they think all 'that stuff' is.

Admittedly, I do prefer this to being told I'm going to burn in hell.

Mr Flibble
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM

I always get a giggle when I'm told that, because I always answer: 'How am I going to burn inside the goddess Hel? I didn't realise she was on fire.'

I wear a rune, but no one has even asked what it is, let alone commented on it.

The one that really get sme is 'Oh you're a pagan, so you worship the devil'

No, I don't even believe in him, why would I worship him? Beside he doesn't sound very nice.

PattiTheWicked
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM

There are a lot more of us out there than most people realize. We just tend to not advertise. No one knows exactly how many Pagans there are in the US, but I'm willing to bet you know a few.

:::snorple:::

My 86-year-old Greek Orthodox neighbor thinks I'm Jewish because there's a "big star" on my front door. I don't even want to begin having the "what is a pagan" conversation with her -- it's just not worth the effort.

On the other hand, I lived openly Pagan in Charleston, SC, for ten years, and never ran into a lick of trouble. My biracial-couple neighbors had a much harder time with the locals than I did.

Jenan Mac
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
When I lived in VA I got that a lot! Then again, I get it up here in ME, too. About as often as I get people grabbing my pentacle - which is not at all dinner-plate-sized ;) - and dragging it (and by consequence, me) into their faces for a closer look, then telling me how cool they think all 'that stuff' is.

LOL! Yeah, my older sister (who has been born a couple times now, so maybe she's my younger sister?) mentioned how pretty she thought my necklace was last time I visited. It's a very simple vertical triple moon, also not dinner-plate-sized. (note to Pattithewicked-- there's a metaphysical shop in Clintonville that has gorgeous jewelry)

sunna
02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't even want to begin having the "what is a pagan" conversation with her -- it's just not worth the effort.

That's always a fun discussion. My grandmother, who is very devoutly Catholic and determined to be "hip" (and having discovered the wonders of email is convinced she can convert me through thousands of forwards), asked me about Paganism once. I got perhaps five words into the answer before she asked, very seriously, "Do you howl?"

"Howl??" say I, while my sister has quiet hysterics in the back seat.

"Yes, you know. Like --" <insert sound of 71 y/o woman howling in a compact car, in stalled city traffic, with windows down>

What could I say? I told her yes.

Jenan Mac
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
she asked, very seriously, "Do you howl?"

"Howl??" say I, while my sister has quiet hysterics in the back seat.

"Yes, you know. Like --" <insert sound of 71 y/o woman howling in a compact car, in stalled city traffic, with windows down>

What could I say? I told her yes.

Oh. My. Gods. :ROFL:

Sarita
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Every time my parents have Finn stay over, my dad says that he and the little guy stayed up all night so that they could howl at the moon. And I reply, "What a good little pagan..." :)

Death Wizard
02-13-2008, 02:37 AM

So ..... true .....

Shweta
02-13-2008, 05:23 AM
Indo-Europeans stole acquired from every group and place they met . . .

Oh fair enough. So I'm a good little Indo-European.
If that isn't a contradiction in terms. :tongue

Though I am a member of a major world religion, I still agree with everything you just said.

Uh huh, I get this just from saying "I'm Hindu", never mind the rest. :rolleyes:

I always get a giggle when I'm told that, because I always answer: 'How am I going to burn inside the goddess Hel? I didn't realise she was on fire.'

Well, there's an online comic in which she's hot...

No, I don't even believe in him, why would I worship him? Beside he doesn't sound very nice.

Yeah, though of course it's not like Odin is sweetness and light.
...And we'll leave aside discussions of Kali, here...

Straka
02-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Very cool. In high school there were a few goth ladies I spoke with who talked about various things but they came off like they did it for attention rather than truely believing it. Maybe I missjudged them.

Straka
02-13-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm not even talking middle of the amazon or secluded mountain tops. The town I lived in had a pop. of 40,000. Different families would have shrines that they would hike to, to worship in private.

Thanks for sharing, that is pretty cool. In a way though, all the various Catholic saints almost seem like pagans. Patron saint lost things. I even heard there was a patron saint of the internet.

plaidearthworm
02-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I wear my pentacle all the time; it has a Celtic knotwork moon surrounding it, so if people ask, I can tell them what it is, or just say it's a Celtic symbol since I have some Irish heritage in the family. Makes it easier to pick and choose my battles. ;)

PattiTheWicked
02-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Very cool. In high school there were a few goth ladies I spoke with who talked about various things but they came off like they did it for attention rather than truely believing it. Maybe I missjudged them.

Oh, it's entirely possible that you didn't misjudge them at all :)

The "weekend Wiccans" are a phenomenon I encounter on occasion, and while they're out there -- and are typically far more visible than the rest of us -- they're usually the exception in Paganism rather than the norm. They're probably just going through an exploratory phase, which they'll outgrow eventually when they realize there's some Actual Work and Study involved, just like in any other spiritual path.

People like me and Sara, however, look like your next door neighbor. You've probably met Pagans just like us and it never clicked in on the radar, because they weren't covered in gobs of black eyeliner and wearing a sparkly pentacle the size of a steering wheel.

joyce
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I am a mix of so many belief systems I would not even know how to label myself. I guess I'm a true Heinz 57 of the religious world. I do agree that sometimes it's easier to just not get into religious discussions because so many people think you are some sort of freak or a devil.

Kallex
02-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Shamans seem to make the best sense of things.

StephanieFox
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
My favorite holiday is Sukkot where you built a hut in your back yard to eat, welcome the harvest and invoke the Goddess to bring rain (or in our case, snow.) Traditionally, you should sleep back there, but it's usually too cold here in the Northland.

On Yule, we light the candles on the menorah, an additional one each day, to welcome back the sun God.

At Passover, we annoint the door posts with lamb's blood (we eat lamb, so it's available), clean the house and do purification of ourselves, chasing away any 'bad vibes' hanging around.

But, of course I do celebrate the traditional holidays like Imblc, Beltain, Samhain and Yule, along with the solstices and equinoxes. (The holidays seem to fit exactly with our climate, except we're much more extreme.)

Basically, there are a lot of holidays around our house.

Michael
03-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Actually, when I was in college, I was a member of the Pagan Student Union, and everyone there admitted to it. I suppose that's unusual, though, because outside of college very few people admitted to it.

Mr Flibble
03-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Yeah, though of course it's not like Odin is sweetness and light

Yeah and Jehovah is like so nice to everyone. *cough* Old Testament *cough*. Actually *cough* New testament *cough*. At least Odin didn't get anyone else crucified, he did it to himself. Never ask others to do what you aren't prepared to do yourself. :)

Sarita
03-08-2008, 03:22 AM
I remember, quite vividly, having a conversation on a date with this guy named Adam. I was like 19 or 20 (so a good long time ago) and we were talking religion. He said, "Don't go telling me that Jehovah is some god of mercy. Jehovah of the old testament was one bad ASS GOD, all full of fury and vengeance." And then we went to see Raisin in the Sun. Fun and light, just the way I like first dates. We didn't have a second.

LOL. Sorry, just had to share a memory.