PDA

View Full Version : Land Crabs Have Invaded My Garage!

joyce
09-07-2007, 04:49 AM
For the past two nights I thought I would go insane with the land crabs that have taken shelter in my garage. There is a system off the coast so the crabs have started running from the beach heading my way. The other day I was mowing the grass and one got in, so I left the door up just a crack so it would leave. Later that night I almost have a heart attack when I open the kitchen door and there are like 16 of them running all around. Between my husband and me we thought we got them all out.....wrong. Later that night the dogs are going crazy and we get up and there are more crabs. Now they are scratching on my kitchen door. Last night the same thing happens. The rest of the gang that was hiding comes out and the dogs start barking again. Well to make a long story short, the dogs are at it again. There must be more crabs hiding in my garage. At this point we've removed almost 30 of them. How did so many get in so quickly? Though they were running in herds like cattle. You've got to love Florida.

Haggis
09-07-2007, 04:50 AM
For the past two nights I thought I would go insane with the land crabs that have taken shelter in my garage. There is a system off the coast so the crabs have started running from the beach heading my way. The other day I was mowing the grass and one got in, so I left the door up just a crack so it would leave. Later that night I almost have a heart attack when I open the kitchen door and there are like 16 of them running all around. Between my husband and me we thought we got them all out.....wrong. Later that night the dogs are going crazy and we get up and there are more crabs. Now they are scratching on my kitchen door. Last night the same thing happens. The rest of the gang that was hiding comes out and the dogs start barking again. Well to make a long story short, the dogs are at it again. There must be more crabs hiding in my garage. At this point we've removed almost 30 of them. How did so many get in so quickly? Though they were running in herds like cattle. You've got to love Florida.

Wow, Joyce. That's about the worst case of crabs I've ever heard of.

davids
09-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Wow, Joyce. That's about the worst case of crabs I've ever heard of.

That calls for a rather loud HIC!!!!

Perks
09-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Holy hell! That's wild. I have bears in my back yard. I've never seen one yet. I can't see a bear.

I'd better not hear one scratching at my kitchen door either!

joyce
09-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Tell me about it! These ones have just one huge claw they wave in the air at you and they stink soooooooooo bad.

davids
09-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Holy hell! That's wild. I have bears in my back yard. I've never seen one yet. I can't see a bear.

I'd better not hear one scratching at my kitchen door either!

Or pray to God the bear is not a rather large crab or even a lobster right?

Perks
09-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Yeah. Sea bugs are worse.
-shudder-

davids
09-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Tell me about it! These ones have just one huge claw they wave in the air at you and they stink soooooooooo bad.

Hey watch out who you are insultipating that might be me uncle George

Perks
09-07-2007, 04:55 AM
You sound like Tigger, davids.

Rolling Thunder
09-07-2007, 04:56 AM

You don't have a cat in the house that hasn't showered, do you?

davids
09-07-2007, 04:57 AM
You sound like Tigger, davids.

Well Perks lovely lady do not forget what they so often do say: The wonderful thing about Tiggers is I'm the only one! Tigger Q. Lobster person at your service.

joyce
09-07-2007, 05:13 AM
You don't have a cat in the house that hasn't showered, do you?

If I had a cat I'd be afraid to let it loose in the garage, the crabs would probably gang up on it and kill it. It's almost like an episode of the Twilight Zone is filming in my garage. Now I've been given an idea.......to shut the dogs up I could let them in the garage. The crabs would probably silence them for good.

Unique
09-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Film at 11.

Seriously. Save it. Get out the cam corder. Maybe horror isn't your genre - but that has the makings of a good story. (After they've gone ... )

Haggis
09-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Film at 11.

Seriously. Save it. Get out the cam corder. Maybe horror isn't your genre - but that has the makings of a good story. (After they've gone ... )

Unless they...never leave.

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 06:54 AM
There was a story on CNN recently about some island (in the Caribbean?) that is overrun with crabs every year. They showed footage of the street literally alive with crabs, it was freaky!

I would google it but I'm afraid what might pop up.

MattW
09-07-2007, 06:58 AM
And so the prostitute says: "What did you expect for $5? Lobster?"

dclary
09-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Take pictures.

As my drill instructor said as he saw another platoon run past ours, matresses held overhead in shame, "Look gentlemen, Seafood!"

Namatu
09-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I want to see pictures! Once they're gone, it will be a great story. How are you getting them out?

C.bronco
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
If I had a cat I'd be afraid to let it loose in the garage, the crabs would probably gang up on it and kill it. It's almost like an episode of the Twilight Zone is filming in my garage. Now I've been given an idea.......to shut the dogs up I could let them in the garage. The crabs would probably silence them for good.
I'll bring butter and lemons. Get a nice big vat for boiling and call it a block party.
:partyguy:

The_Grand_Duchess
09-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Whenever there is something I don't want to deal with in a part of my house that has a door I just shut the door and pretend its not there. Like that rat that one time.

In anycase, I really need to see a picture of this. It just sounds so National Geographic. Like when the crabs cover Easter Island.

Bmwhtly
09-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Now they are scratching on my kitchen door.I smell a really bad script coming on.

MidnightMuse
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
That is just creepy! *shudders* I'll keep my fighting (and mating, and patio furniture-chewing) raccoon problem, thank you.

*shudder*

Unique
09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
:rolleyes:birds. just birds.

{wow - i wasn't the only weirdo}

auntybug
09-07-2007, 06:35 PM
We lived in the keys for 2 years - they are ugly bastards but I hear they are good eatin'!

I still prefer them to snakes....watch out for the holes they make though. I knew of 1 broken ankle & 2 bad sprains from them.

Kate Thornton
09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Are they edible?

I mean, I have eaten snails and crawdads...

Garlic & lemon renders nearly anything edible. I said "nearly", you perverts!

Joe270
09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Joyce, I recommend explosives for this problem.

The explosives probably won't make much difference, 'cept to blast greenish crab goo all over the walls. More land crabs are bound to pour in to take the place of those you blasted to kingdom come.

Explosives are a great solution to most any problem.

dclary
09-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Are they edible?

It renders that edible too!

joyce
09-07-2007, 08:43 PM
My computer is acting stupid or I would put a picture of one up. If it gets happy I will do it.

Gravity
09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Take a large kettle of boiling water and drop one of them into it. Preferably a big, tough one. Let the others hear him scream; they'll get the idea and beat feet...er, claws. That should solve it.

Oh yeah, then eat the one you boiled. Waste not, want not.

NeuroFizz
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Befriend the seagulls.

Mine . . . Mine . . . Mine . . . Mine . . .

Unique
09-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Are they edible?

...if it smells like bread, don't eat it; if it smells like fish, throw it back ...

er, do land crabs smell like fish? where's Del? Where's Haggis? Wait! Get Rllg to try it - he'll try anything (!)

Joe270
09-08-2007, 03:45 AM
My computer is acting stupid or I would put a picture of one up. If it gets happy I will do it.

I highly recommend explosives for the computer, too.

joyce
09-08-2007, 05:13 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g133/firenole13/371127402.jpg

Here is one of the lovely things! To me they do not smell like fish, more like a really stinky crab with a social disease. People do eat them but it is against the law here. I've heard you collect them and put them in cages and feed them grain to clean them up and out. Then after a week they are suppose to not smell so bad. I had so many problems getting this picture up.......I wish I could have posted one where they are really running in herds like cattle. There are hundreds and hundreds of them running through the lawns, streets, everywhere you look. If you don't here from me again, well the crabs have got me. To think I'm allergic to them.

Unique
09-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I wish I could have posted one where they are really running in herds like cattle.

Against the law to eat nature's bounty? What kind of custom?

JJ Cooper
09-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow. I can't believe you live so close to the beach.

JJ

Bmwhtly
09-08-2007, 05:35 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g133/firenole13/371127402.jpgYup. I definitely smell a bad script coming on.

People do eat them but it is against the law here.
There are hundreds and hundreds of them running through the lawns, streets, everywhere you look.That seems rather bizzare.
Why, pray, is it illegal to munch them?

joyce
09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
They are on the protected list of endangered species the last time I heard. Hundreds of years ago when I first got my license to drive my friends & I would drive beachside, which was pretty void of people back then, and there would be thousands it seemed like, crossing the road on maybe a 1/2 mile stretch. Now that was like being in a horror movie. Some of the imigrant people who have moved into the area try to corral bunches of them and take them home to eat. I guess that got to be so bad, there are now signs all over AIA saying it's illegal to take the sweet little things. My lab tried attacking one yesterday and ended up with a bloody nose. They are still roaming all around, but not in the great cattle herds of the past few days. For such a little creature, compared to man, they are pretty brave waving their big claw in the air at you.

CACTUSWENDY
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, I would catch them and eat them. Crabs are great. If they choose to come into my 'home area' then I get to eat them. (my rules)

Fire up a big pot of water and go for it.....yummmmm

joyce
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I wish I was not allergic to shellfish, but I am. Though I don't know about these guys.......they smell so damn bad! It's like they are the walking dead...zombie crabs.

ALLWritety
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
The crabs are getting frisky!! They do this either just before mating or just after i can't remember which. Anyway some thing like that! I did some research on crabs a while ago. I have a script idea AND I HOPE IT ISN"T A BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD SCRIPT!!!!!

I would do what everyone has said. COOK UP. I am sure the Gov won't miss a few ...er hundred crabs!!

Kevvers

The_Grand_Duchess
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Ah Joyce! You make them sound so poetic and brave! I love nature, its weird.

Maryn
09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey, how big are these guys, anyway? For some reason, I'm envisioning dinner-plate-sized bodies, but that's just the bad horror movie in us all, I bet.

Maryn, well inland, thank you very much

joyce
09-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Hey, how big are these guys, anyway? For some reason, I'm envisioning dinner-plate-sized bodies, but that's just the bad horror movie in us all, I bet.

Maryn, well inland, thank you very much

They are like 6-7 inches across (not counting their walking legs) and some of them have a big claw that is probably 3"wide by 4-5 inches long. They are really fat, not like a flat crab. They are so funny standing in the middle of the highway waving their claws at the cars running by them. Honestly, for such a little creature they have courage of steel. It does not do them much good though, big claw against a 65mph vehicle though. Car wins everytime. I have heard of friends who have had their tires punctured due to the crabs though.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-09-2007, 01:07 AM
6-7 inches? That's um, way bigger than I thought they were. They just went form kinda cute to scary.

Leva
09-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Man, and I thought the colorado river toads gathering under the lights in my yard were bad ... the toads are the size of softballs but at least they don't have pinchers that could take your fingers off!