howfast dop you type/?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
KTC says he's the fastest typist in the entire world who's ever lived on earth. Then he mooned me (I could swear). How fast do you type? At my peak I was around 100, but now I'd be lucky to hit 75.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can reach speeds of 100. I'm officially clocked at 95, but typically come in around 80.

I just wish I could compose and write that fast.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I can probably do a 100 with less accuracy. I think my official score is about 70 with 100% accuracy.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
My husband tried timing me the other night but it was so distracting (one...two...three...wow...that's...fast...seven...) I had to stop. I type faster in email when I actually know what I want to say. :)

I have no official time on record.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
last officialy tested, which includes accuracy in the score - I type about 70 wpm. that's no typos.

if I wasn't being tested and not worried about typos, it would be much faster.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I never learned how to "type." I was in that generation where they were phasing out typing classes because the computer was on the horizon (or maybe it was just my funding-strapped high school not wanting to spring for new typewriters). So I made up my own thing, which involves looking at the keyboard much more often than real "typing," and my hands and fingers are all over the place. I'm pretty quick at it though. And deadly accurate.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
RLB, I am also self-taught, although I no longer have to look at the keyboard. Apparently I don't use the "correct" keys, though. When my mom sees me type she always says, "That is SO weird." ;)

Although the reason I had to teach myself to type wasn't because we didn't have it in high school... I was just on the computer all the time way before that. :)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use the right keys/fingers either. I had a computer teacher who decided that "computers are all going to be voice-activated in a few years" so we never learned. What a jackass.

I shall consult google and see if I can make some program tell me how fast I type.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Remember Johnny in Airplane? I wish I could type like that.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok story time...

So one time, I was testing at a staffing agency my accuracy and speed on the keyboard.

The F and J keys didn't have those little bumps on them so you're fingers knew where to be....Somehow, my fingers got on the wrong keys and I typed the entire document, twice I think in the alotted time completely in code. However, the woman told me that she could tell by the spelling of the words I'd typed that had my fingers been on the right keys, I would have scored a 100% (or really really close to that).

I was like, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum. I'm good. lol.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
The F and J keys didn't have those little bumps on them so you're fingers knew where to be....

There are bumpy keys?!

*checks laptop keyboard*

By George, you're right! How have I never noticed that before? I told you I was a no-wit when it came to typing.

ETA: My keys don't have "bumps" so much a single horizontal line at the bottom. Almost imperceptable, really.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Officially, 85 wpm. :)

I was taught how to type in school, but I didn't start to get really fast until I got addicted to the internet. Most of the other kids in my school can't type at all. Every time I go into the library, the librarians comment on how fast I am. It makes me giggle.

I could never do 100 wpm. I think my fingers might explode.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
There are bumpy keys?!

Isn't it great!

ETA: My keys don't have "bumps" so much a single horizontal line at the bottom. Almost imperceptable, really.

Yea, lines or bumps. I've had both. I currently have the little lines.

Jaws drop when I use 10Key. With a pen in hand. Toot toot.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first job I had was telex, many many years ago. I learned to make the teletype tape slightly faster than the outgoing machine's speed of 125 so I could feed it directly from my machine to the outgoing one.

However, if you add numbers into the mix the speed drops by half.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Haven't taken a test in awhile, but when I worked at CSD as a relay operator it was 112 wpm with 98% accuracy. Unfortunately, that meant I got all the conference calls. LoL.

Edit: Also self taught here. I taught myself to type by listening to music and typing along with the lyrics. I use the right keys, but it's just because it happened that way for some reason. I guess the right places just worked for me to type the fastest.

Last edited:

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Hate to brag, but when I type, people stop what they're doing and stare! True! At school I was about 70 wpm with 100% accuracy. But that was a million years ago. I'll find a test and update. I'd be interested to know what I am now.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
KTC says he's the fastest typist in the entire world who's ever lived on earth. Then he mooned me (I could swear). How fast do you type? At my peak I was around 100, but now I'd be lucky to hit 75.

KTC lies. I type the fastest, just look at my post count. Only the world's fastest typist can do that...

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
When on top of my game, probably 70-80wpm. With current broken arm, around 40wpm. When having to use shift with any of the number keys...I freeze like I've a gun to my head.

Lyx

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Haven't taken a test in awhile, but when I worked at CSD as a relay operator it was 112 wpm with 98% accuracy. Unfortunately, that meant I got all the conference calls. LoL.

No way! My wife and I were relay operators for CRS (California Relay Service) back in like 92/93. I bet we could swap some horror stories!