PDA

View Full Version : howfast dop you type/?

III
09-07-2007, 01:27 AM
KTC says he's the fastest typist in the entire world who's ever lived on earth. Then he mooned me (I could swear). How fast do you type? At my peak I was around 100, but now I'd be lucky to hit 75.

MidnightMuse
09-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I can reach speeds of 100. I'm officially clocked at 95, but typically come in around 80.

I just wish I could compose and write that fast.

maestrowork
09-07-2007, 01:30 AM
I can probably do a 100 with less accuracy. I think my official score is about 70 with 100% accuracy.

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 01:31 AM
My husband tried timing me the other night but it was so distracting (one...two...three...wow...that's...fast...seven.. .) I had to stop. I type faster in email when I actually know what I want to say. :)

I have no official time on record.

Stew21
09-07-2007, 01:33 AM
last officialy tested, which includes accuracy in the score - I type about 70 wpm. that's no typos.

if I wasn't being tested and not worried about typos, it would be much faster.

JoNightshade
09-07-2007, 01:39 AM
I clock in officially (as Stew said) at 70wpm.

RLB
09-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately, I never learned how to "type." I was in that generation where they were phasing out typing classes because the computer was on the horizon (or maybe it was just my funding-strapped high school not wanting to spring for new typewriters). So I made up my own thing, which involves looking at the keyboard much more often than real "typing," and my hands and fingers are all over the place. I'm pretty quick at it though. And deadly accurate.

Dawno
09-07-2007, 01:45 AM
around 70 now - have been as high as 90

JoNightshade
09-07-2007, 01:51 AM
RLB, I am also self-taught, although I no longer have to look at the keyboard. Apparently I don't use the "correct" keys, though. When my mom sees me type she always says, "That is SO weird." ;)

Although the reason I had to teach myself to type wasn't because we didn't have it in high school... I was just on the computer all the time way before that. :)

Hillary
09-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't use the right keys/fingers either. I had a computer teacher who decided that "computers are all going to be voice-activated in a few years" so we never learned. What a jackass.

I shall consult google and see if I can make some program tell me how fast I type.

jennifer75
09-07-2007, 02:10 AM
about 80.

Cassiopeia
09-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Officially, 126. Unofficially, depends on how accurate you would like me to be. ;) +

RumpleTumbler
09-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Remember Johnny in Airplane? I wish I could type like that.

jennifer75
09-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Ok story time...

So one time, I was testing at a staffing agency my accuracy and speed on the keyboard.

The F and J keys didn't have those little bumps on them so you're fingers knew where to be....Somehow, my fingers got on the wrong keys and I typed the entire document, twice I think in the alotted time completely in code. However, the woman told me that she could tell by the spelling of the words I'd typed that had my fingers been on the right keys, I would have scored a 100% (or really really close to that).

I was like, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum. I'm good. lol.

RLB
09-07-2007, 02:23 AM
The F and J keys didn't have those little bumps on them so you're fingers knew where to be....

There are bumpy keys?!

*checks laptop keyboard*

By George, you're right! How have I never noticed that before? I told you I was a no-wit when it came to typing.

ETA: My keys don't have "bumps" so much a single horizontal line at the bottom. Almost imperceptable, really.

Esopha
09-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Officially, 85 wpm. :)

I was taught how to type in school, but I didn't start to get really fast until I got addicted to the internet. Most of the other kids in my school can't type at all. Every time I go into the library, the librarians comment on how fast I am. It makes me giggle.

I could never do 100 wpm. I think my fingers might explode.

jennifer75
09-07-2007, 02:40 AM
There are bumpy keys?!

Isn't it great!

ETA: My keys don't have "bumps" so much a single horizontal line at the bottom. Almost imperceptable, really.

Yea, lines or bumps. I've had both. I currently have the little lines.

Jaws drop when I use 10Key. With a pen in hand. Toot toot.

AceTachyon
09-07-2007, 03:20 AM
Officially clocked at 85wpm.

ishtar'sgate
09-07-2007, 03:24 AM
My official time is 110 wpm without spelling errors.
Linnea:D

BardSkye
09-07-2007, 03:32 AM
The first job I had was telex, many many years ago. I learned to make the teletype tape slightly faster than the outgoing machine's speed of 125 so I could feed it directly from my machine to the outgoing one.

However, if you add numbers into the mix the speed drops by half.

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Haven't taken a test in awhile, but when I worked at CSD as a relay operator it was 112 wpm with 98% accuracy. Unfortunately, that meant I got all the conference calls. LoL.

Edit: Also self taught here. I taught myself to type by listening to music and typing along with the lyrics. I use the right keys, but it's just because it happened that way for some reason. I guess the right places just worked for me to type the fastest.

Mandy-Jane
09-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Hate to brag, but when I type, people stop what they're doing and stare! True! At school I was about 70 wpm with 100% accuracy. But that was a million years ago. I'll find a test and update. I'd be interested to know what I am now.

maestrowork
09-07-2007, 03:37 AM
KTC says he's the fastest typist in the entire world who's ever lived on earth. Then he mooned me (I could swear). How fast do you type? At my peak I was around 100, but now I'd be lucky to hit 75.

KTC lies. I type the fastest, just look at my post count. Only the world's fastest typist can do that...

Lyxdeslic
09-07-2007, 03:44 AM
When on top of my game, probably 70-80wpm. With current broken arm, around 40wpm. When having to use shift with any of the number keys...I freeze like I've a gun to my head.

Lyx

III
09-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Haven't taken a test in awhile, but when I worked at CSD as a relay operator it was 112 wpm with 98% accuracy. Unfortunately, that meant I got all the conference calls. LoL.

No way! My wife and I were relay operators for CRS (California Relay Service) back in like 92/93. I bet we could swap some horror stories!

reigningcatsndogs
09-07-2007, 03:45 AM
On an old IBM Selectric typewritter I do about 90 wpm -- doing court documents, you couldn't make any errors. Have no idea how fast I am on a computer, but I would assume at least that.

III
09-07-2007, 03:47 AM
KTC lies. I type the fastest, just look at my post count. Only the world's fastest typist can do that...

Or a mod who can adjust post counts. But since you're everywhere on AW I'm more inclined to believe you're actually triplets posing as one person. Is "Ray" our equivalent of Tony Orlando's "Dawn"? Enquiring minds wanna know!

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 04:00 AM
No way! My wife and I were relay operators for CRS (California Relay Service) back in like 92/93. I bet we could swap some horror stories!

Oh boy could I ever. LoL. I HATED that place. The things I liked the most though were internet pranks. Everyone always blushed, but I'd curse up a storm, and with feeling! It's the only job where you can say the dirtiest shit in the world and be praised for it! Well... that and comedian. ;)

benbradley
09-07-2007, 05:22 AM
RLB, I am also self-taught, although I no longer have to look at the keyboard. Apparently I don't use the "correct" keys, though. When my mom sees me type she always says, "That is SO weird." ;)

Although the reason I had to teach myself to type wasn't because we didn't have it in high school... I was just on the computer all the time way before that. :)
I didn't have typing in high school, but I ended up learning typing on my own in college on computer terminals (does anyone remember those?), including an ASR-33 (likewise???). So I have over three decades of self-taught typing.

Did anyone find an online typing speed test? Someone said they'd look and I'm too lazy if someone else already found one. I have little clue of my typing speed, it might be anywhere from 30 to 90 wpm. But my typing speed has always been plenty good enough for computer programming, as long as I don't do COBOL.

rubarbb
09-07-2007, 05:25 AM
It's not how fast you type, but what you type...about 45 wpm...

rhymegirl
09-07-2007, 05:36 AM
djkdklsneicneduncjehsm[sm sncueptm amoicmny] akotjkl amvoierhj

kdithou jfojihf lhjiehto l ihieht8iyhto joejg l ghioela thioelgih llw itoll

With or without errors?

Shady Lane
09-07-2007, 05:45 AM
About 90 WPM. But my accuracy is not good.

Mandy-Jane
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Here's one. There are millions.

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I'm not as good as I used to be. I only got 69% accuracy! I gotta' practise more.

Elincoln
09-07-2007, 06:56 AM
In High School I was up to 75wpm w/ no errors. I remember my teacher having a fit because I outdid her. And this was on a real typewriter (you know? Where you have to use whiteout or that white filmstrip to correct errors. Don't look at me. I'm not that old!).

In college and while I did programming, I did 95wpm nightly with little errors.

I refuse to know what I am now. Just let me wallow in my glory days.

dclary
09-07-2007, 06:58 AM
80 WPM, untrained (using 2 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand).

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 07:04 AM
80 WPM, untrained (using 2 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand).

What happened to the rest of your digits?

Billytwice
09-07-2007, 07:05 AM
free typnig rutot:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/199152#MoreInfo

I thnik ti wroks ubt hvan't tdire it yte.

benbradley
09-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Here's one. There are millions.

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I'm not as good as I used to be. I only got 69% accuracy! I gotta' practise more.

I got 41 wpm and only one error. It obviously didn't count all the backspacing I did. If it weren't for that I could perhaps do 50 or 60 wpm.

Not bad for a non-typist...

dclary
09-07-2007, 07:26 AM
What happened to the rest of your digits?

They're lazy bitches! Just sit there tickling my palms.

I am trying to recruit them. For instance, my ring finger on my right hand has one job: he handles the backspace key.

And I think, (let me check) Ah yes, the pinky on my left hand is responsible for capitalization events. Ooh, and my left-hand ring finger tabs, whenever I tab.

But 99% of my typing is done by left and right prime, birdy, and thumbo.

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 07:32 AM
They're lazy bitches! Just sit there tickling my palms.

I am trying to recruit them. For instance, my ring finger on my right hand has one job: he handles the backspace key.

And I think, (let me check) Ah yes, the pinky on my left hand is responsible for capitalization events. Ooh, and my left-hand ring finger tabs, whenever I tab.

But 99% of my typing is done by left and right prime, birdy, and thumbo.

Now that you explain it, I think that's how I type too! For a moment I was afraid you'd had a terrible accident and refused to give up the dream to write. :)

dclary
09-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Now that you explain it, I think that's how I type too! For a moment I was afraid you'd had a terrible accident and refused to give up the dream to write. :)

Yes. I type with my nose.

:p

I just like to qualify it, because for a hunt-and-peck typist (as opposed to a classically trained homerow typist) 80 wpm is considered quite impressive.

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I just tested myself on one of the sites someone listed and I S-U-C-K! I thought I would kick asphalt and I can't break 70 wpm. Although I keep fixing my typos, so maybe I should go for speed and not accuracy. I will try again tomorrow when I'm not, um, sleepy. Yeah, that's it.

fgthjk - that's me typing with my nose.

dclary
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I just tested myself on one of the sites someone listed and I S-U-C-K! I thought I would kick asphalt and I can't break 70 wpm. Although I keep fixing my typos, so maybe I should go for speed and not accuracy. I will try again tomorrow when I'm not, um, sleepy. Yeah, that's it.

fgthjk - that's me typing with my nose.

I corrected for typos, but still had 3 that I missed. Super speedy backspacing ringfinger! :D

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 08:29 AM
I corrected for typos, but still had 3 that I missed. Super speedy backspacing ringfinger! :D

You win, for now. I must go to sleep. :)

Joe270
09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I still have an IBM selectric. I clocked in somewhere in the mid-80 wpm count in the seventies.

I still figure I'm running about that because I backspace to correct. Accuracy is 100 percent, 'cept for the misspellings, but the checker is quick.

I wish I could write that fast, but I can't. Speed doesn't matter when I'm writing. I pause too much.

dclary
09-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a selectric II in my garage. It is my most valuable pre-internet piece of technology.

EriRae
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
80-90 wpm...don't think I've ever clocked 100.

ErylRavenwell
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
My keyboard features a customized "On Fire" button and is equipped with an inbuilt mini extinguisher. Road Runner has got nothing on me.

Seriously, I'm about 70, and not very accurate at that.

Deirdre
09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Officially? 85wpm.

Back when typing tests were given on actual typewriters, I remember taking a typing test with a legal secretary who could do 150wpm complete with changes of paper.

I was totally intimidated by her mad skillz.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I can type fast, but I tense up when I'm being tested. More so when I'm copying something I'm reading. Then I pause when I make mistakes and stop when it won't let me backspace (on some tests, at least). So I clock it at approx. 70wpm, but I know I can type faster when I don't have all that baggage. XD

I like this test, personally:

http://www.typingtest.com/

III
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I like this test, personally:

http://www.typingtest.com/

That's a cool test. I tried it three times and got around 88 wpm each time with 100% accuracy so I guess I'm not quite as rusty as I thought.

akiwiguy
09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Presentlym, about 1 word per min. K?

III
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Why hasn't DavidS posted in this thread yet? He's gotta be able to crank out at least 200 WPM in Lobsterspeak.

rhymegirl
09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Seriously, I don't know how fast I can type.

And I HATE taking typing tests when I go on interviews. So, if it's a male interviewer, I just smile a lot.

dclary
09-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Seriously, I don't know how fast I can type.

And I HATE taking typing tests when I go on interviews. So, if it's a male interviewer, I just smile a lot.

Cheater!

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Ha! I just tried again and got 83 words per minute with something like 40% accuracy. I was laughing so loudly at my bad typing skills that my husband came in to see what was going on. I guess I only type the words from my head fast.

maestrowork
09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
The trick is to let go of what you're reading and to try not to interpret the words you're reading. Instead just type the letters as you see them...

Cassiopeia
09-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Cheater!No, Rhymegirl is clever enough to make the most of what she's got. :D

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Maybe my fingers are too short. I measured - middle finger is 3" and the rest work their way down to 2" (thumb & pinkie). No wonder I hit all the wrong keys!

jennifer75
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.calculatorcat.com/typing_test/ gave me 104 wpm

http://www.onlineconversion.com/typingtest.htm gave me 84 wpm

go figure.

III
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Cheater!

Look at her all dolled up in her Avatar. I doubt those poor interviewers even notice her smile.

dclary
09-07-2007, 10:35 PM
The trick is to let go of what you're reading and to try not to interpret the words you're reading. Instead just type the letters as you see them...

"Let go, Luke! Trust your fingers!"

"His Spell-check's off! Luke what's wrong?"

"I'm ok!"

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Please, mods, can you help me? Nothin' against ya, III, but I need this thread topic fixed. Every time I read it, with the first two words scrunched together (read urgency) and the dop afterwards I read "How fast and deep." Every. Frickin'. Time. My guttered brain cannot handle this. I'm getting distracted. LoL.

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Please, mods, can you help me? Nothin' against ya, III, but I need this thread topic fixed. Every time I read it, with the first two words scrunched together (read urgency) and the dop afterwards I read "How fast and deep." Every. Frickin'. Time. My guttered brain cannot handle this. I'm getting distracted. LoL.

Thanks. You have effectively changed the title for ALL of us now. :)

Be free, use the force, what are you people trying to do to me here?

JLCwrites
09-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't know how fast I type, but my fingers rarely keep up with the images and voices in my head. (which is why I reach for the caffeine!)
I just keep getting ahead of myself. :)

dclary
09-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Bad kitty! Bad kitty!

And... mmmm, I like where you're mind's at.

Bad kitty!

III
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM

It's called subliminal advertising and it's really the only way to keep a thread going these days. AW has become as doped up as MLB. That's why ScarletPeaches has such popular threads, she puts subliminal pictures of naked camels in her titles. If you highlight the words, you can totally see them!

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks. You have effectively changed the title for ALL of us now. :)

Be free, use the force, what are you people trying to do to me here?

I do what I can for the ones I love. ;)

KTC
09-07-2007, 10:59 PM

I'm not sure if those were my exact words...but I'm very fast. I can throw down thousands of words an hour. I've written novels in 2 days. My fingers smoke. It's crazy. But I've never timed myself.

And what's this about mooning? I do not remember mooning anybody in the past 3 days?

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I can throw down thousands of words an hour.

If we're going off that, I wrote 2500 in two hours last night. I just can't do those stupid tests.

KTC
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
okay i just took that test. i dont think its a good way to judge your true word count. its copying. when it comes right from your mind to your fingers you can go way faster...i'm talking WAY faster. but doing the timed test, copying the words i was given, i just scored 88wpm. not impressed. i could even feel the slowness from having to read the words i was typing.

Cath
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
On a UK keyboard I can type comfortably at around 80 wpm. On a US keyboard, I'm still hovering around 60 wpm. Gah!

Cassiopeia
09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
If I were to be timed when I am writing or posting on the forum or in a chat for example, I would be even faster than 120 wpm. Over the years of talking to family and friends overseas using the IRC chat program I have come to be such a fast typist that I can type faster than I can talk. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Yeah hope that made sense.

KTC
09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
my accuracy wasn't 100 % on that test, by the way. I should time myself when I'm working on my WIP...just for the hell of it.

Cassiopeia
09-07-2007, 11:15 PM
On the best of days I tested at 126 but I average on bad days at 90-110.

KTC just HAD to type WIP and now I feel guilty for not writing. Right, time to go clean and pack up the garage :D

melaniehoo
09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
If I were to be timed when I am writing or posting on the forum or in a chat for example, I would be even faster than 120 wpm. Over the years of talking to family and friends overseas using the IRC chat program I have come to be such a fast typist that I can type faster than I can talk. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Yeah hope that made sense.

Makes perfect sense and I totally agree. I communicate with friends and family mainly through email & IM so I'm crazy quick.

my accuracy wasn't 100 % on that test, by the way. I should time myself when I'm working on my WIP...just for the hell of it.

I may try that tonight.

Azraelsbane
09-07-2007, 11:26 PM
On the best of days I tested at 126 but I average on bad days at 90-110.

KTC just HAD to type WIP and now I feel guilty for not writing. Right, time to go clean and pack up the garage :D

Yeah, speaking of which...back to editing Hell. *sniff*

III
09-07-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure if those were my exact words...but I'm very fast. I can throw down thousands of words an hour. I've written novels in 2 days. My fingers smoke. It's crazy. But I've never timed myself.

And what's this about mooning? I do not remember mooning anybody in the past 3 days?

Fine, I'll never grossly misquote anyone or make up lies about them mooning me again. Let's just all live in Kev's little "reality world" where everything is as it seems.

And I do agree - it's much slower to type something you're reading rather than typing straight from the brain.

KTC
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
You ARE living in my little reality world. Who do you think created this haven you so blithely call EARTH!

KTC
09-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Every time I'm in New York I say a little prayer when passing the Empire State Building. A good friend of mine died up there.

So true, Fay. So true!

KTC
09-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I must caution you. Experimental brain surgery on these creatures is one thing, and I'm all in favor of it. But your behavior studies are another matter.

So true, Dr. Zaius. I couldn't agree more.

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 12:46 AM
I refer you all to my signature. :D

III
09-08-2007, 12:48 AM
I refer you all to my signature. :D

Uhh, that's all you could type in a minute? That's kinda sad...

jennifer75
09-08-2007, 12:55 AM
when it comes right from your mind to your fingers you can go way faster...i'm talking WAY faster.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! When I'm writing, or typing:), the words come out waaaaaaaaaaay faster. And I'm more aware of my mistakes for some wierd reason. My finger just knows something is wrong with a key when I strike the wrong one. It's odd, I can hit backspace the required number of times and correct myself all while still in the correct place in my mind....did that make sense???

Timers suck arse.

Cassiopeia
09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Uhh, that's all you could type in a minute? That's kinda sad...
oh forget it..you didn't even get it...it's been my signature for a bit and you said that bit about KTC"s world. sheesh *stomps off in a snit*

Shane Fitzsimmons
09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Depends on how you count words. Most word-counting programs count a word as five characters, including spaces. But when you're counting words in a novel, you count a word as six characters, including spaces.

With six characters, I do about 98 WPM, but with five I do about 118. I technically type slightly faster than that, but I have a good habit of correcting all typos as I go, and I usually make one or two per minute when I type fast, so I lose precious seconds going back and fixing the mistakes. So I'd probably be able to type closer to 104/125 if I didn't have that issue.

Either way though, typing speed is basically irrelevant when it comes to writing novels. Anybody who's consistently writing 90+ words per minute would be able to put out a small novel (~80,000 words) in about 15 hours. Nobody can do this, however. Obviously being able to type 90 WPM is more useful to a novelist than being able to type at 3 WPM, but past like 30-40 WPM it just doesn't make that much of a difference.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-10-2007, 02:13 AM
I think I type at roughly 48 wpm. I can type faster, but with a lot more errors.

Kentuk
09-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Typing is so twentyth century, don't do analogue anymore, totally digital now. Don't even know where the keyboard is, just let my mind caress the thought and the mispelled words pop up on the screen like magic.