May I have some advice, please

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do I do here, please? I want to submit my poem.

Do I say: (Do I need a small cover letter?)

Dear Blank, Blank,
For your review and submission, TITLE is enclosed.

Thank you for your consideration.

hugs
kimmi

Do I expand on the poem, because if I have to, I sure as heck do not know what I've really written.? See that thread--

Then, what type of envelope, my poem is 4 pgs.? Do I fold it or just get the priority 8 by 10 mailers?

Thank you

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

Dear Blank, Blank,

hugs
kimmi

Do I expand on the poem, because if I have to, I sure as heck do not know what I've really written.? See that thread--

Then, what type of envelope, my poem is 4 pgs.? Do I fold it or just get the priority 8 by 10 mailers?

Thank you

I would say: Yes on the cover letter, and that is all you really need, except, maybe a more professional close ;).

4 pages... eeeeyah.. That's right at that magic breaking point where you can't really fold it with sharp, crisp folds anymore. But it's still short enough that a big envelope might seem pretentious.

Tough call. I'd probably go with regular letter envelope.

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com

Dear Blank, Blank,

hugs
kimmi

Thank you

Unless you are on really friendly terms with the editor I would skip the "hugs" part.

If this is your first submission to them you might mention a little background information - "I am a steel drivin' man who began writing poetry after being forced out of work by the invention of the steam engine. Other poems of mine have been published or are pending in "Locomotive Quarterly", "Ozarks Journal of Folk Literature", and "Silent Hammer Review".

Don't forget to include a SASE for the rejection notices. My wife and I need to wallpaper our guest bedroom and just in time, too! Because many poetry journals only accept submissions during the school year and I have a RAFT of new poems to submit! Wallpaper, here we come!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I am 1000% certain that kimmi is not a steel-drivin' man.

Though she may have one at home.

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
I am 1000% certain that kimmi is not a steel-drivin' man.

Though she may have one at home.

... metaphorically-speaking, of course. Anyway, someday she might want to play one on TV. Or she might want to adopt a nom de marteau. I'm hoping to submit some work someday under the name Mark V. Shaney or some relative of his, for example.

But she could just as easily say in her cover letter, "I recently returned from a whaling cruise under a maniacal single-minded captain in pursuit of one particular whale, and was so shaken by the experience that I've decided to devote myself to writing. I hope you'll accept these offerings ..." I think it's important to say something about yourself in a cover letter so the editor sees you as a real, genuine, actual human being, even if it's all a pack of lies.
:)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
teehee, ;) I got it though!!!! Big thanks

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi, be sure to check guidelines for where ever you plan to submit. Most places, unfortunately, have a line limit on poetry. I've read "60 line limit" a lot in submission guidlines.

You're on the right track for queries. Here's an example of an email query I sent out recently:
Dear Mr. HXXXX

Attached is a document containing several poems that I'd like you to consider for publication. Your magazine has a fresh voice and I have enjoyed reading it. It would be an honor to work with you.

Sincerely,

Sara Spock
sara's email address
State College, Pennsylvania