Do you talk to strangers on the airplane?

Do you talk to strangers on the airplane?

• Total voters

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I am the consummate airplane recluse, but I'm trying to be less anti-social about it as I get older. I just have no desire to talk to strangers on a plane, though.

And you?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Only if she's hot or looks like she's not going to eat her entire meal.

Reaction score
I've never been on a hairyplane.

So I'll just answer as if you'd asked about trains or buses. I carry a book with me wherever I go and if anyone interrupts my reading, I give them 'the look'. They never try it twice.

Katol

Yeh, right!
Registered
Reaction score
The most I say is "excuse me, excuse me" must learn to stop asking for a window seat.

Cath

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I talk to people everywhere. How else are you going to get their stories?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I never talk to strangers on a plane, and they never speak to me (more than once). I give off an aura or something.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sociable, but I despise small talk. So if you're going to strike up a conversation with me, it better be interesting. :D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't make small talk in any situation, whether on a plane or at work. Happy to be anti-social, I guess.

I'm sociable, but I despise small talk. So if you're going to strike up a conversation with me, it better be interesting.
A/S/L?
A/S/L?
A/S/L?
A/S/L?
A/S/L?
A/S/L?
A/S/L?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I do sometimes i Don't. I always greet people, I feel less awkward even if we don't speak anymore. I chose the 'if they start it' option.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I will always say hi with a smile but in my mind I'm screaming "DIE! DIE! DIE!"

Ok, not really. Actually the last 50 or so times I've been the one flying the plane when I've been on one so I don't have any recent experience.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I will always try to engage other people in conversation - it's all part of my intel training. And I use *everything* in my writing. A plane is just a big short story incubator. But if people don't want to talk, then I don't bother them. I always have audio books to enjoy on long flights.

I fly about 6-12 times a year, usually on business. I've met some very interesting people on planes.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am the consummate airplane recluse, but I'm trying to be less anti-social about it as I get older. I just have no desire to talk to strangers on a plane, though.

And you?

You'd talk to me, buddy. IF I ever flew.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just can't take you seriously with that poor lady falling to her death right next to you.

She spoke to me on a train.

I arranged for her to meet with a nasty accident.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got over all that shy/recluse stuff years ago. I'm often a vendor at art shows, and find myself having to talk to customers and fellow vendors all the time. While I haven't flown in . . . 5 years (?) and usually don't fly alone, I have no problem talking to strangers. Usually they have to start it, or they and I have to make eye contact in reaction to something, so you know they're willing to talk.

Recently I was at a Scottish Highland Games exhibition, and sat down with some lunch to listen to a band - the woman next to me gasped, then said she was a vegan and horrified by the sight of my bbq pulled pork. I apologized and offered to find another place to sit - she said it was okay, I could stay, she just couldn't look at my food (well I didn't ask her to look at me while I ate, did I?). I did eat quickly, and tried to turn away from her out of respect, but that woman ended up talking my ear off !

She never shut up.

I finally caught some pork between my front teeth and left it there.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Planes

I talk to people everywhere. How else are you going to get their stories?

Proper airline travel requires two steps:

1) get drunk
2) be very helpful

so.......

Get drunk and save your fellow passengers from confused thuggish "business men" and then your newly rescued fellow passengers will buy you drinks and tell you how things really work
out there in crappy company land. You'll be amused.

Or you can talk about cars. Or children. Or statistics. Or talk to soldiers about what can go wrong. Or somebody's aunt who looks just like
Patricia Highsmith when she was young:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Beautifulshadow.jpg

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Proper airline travel requires two steps:

1) get drunk
2) be very helpful

so.......

Get drunk and save your fellow passengers from confused thuggish "business men" and then your newly rescued fellow passengers will buy you drinks and tell you how things really work
out there in crappy company land. You'll be amused.

Or you can talk about cars. Or children. Or statistics. Or talk to soldiers about what can go wrong. Or somebody's aunt who looks just like
Patricia Highsmith when she was young:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Beautifulshadow.jpg

I want to fly with you.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't start conversations, but if someone starts chatting with me, I'll respond. I'm not rude. In the past 10 years I've flown close to 1000 times and it's inevitable that I had to talk to someone once in a while. Once, actually, Robert Duncan McNeil (from Star Trek Voyager) sat next to me and I didn't know who he was. He was reading a script titled Infested and I thought, "Cool, an actor." So I started talking to him about acting and stuff and made a total fool of myself. I had no idea who he was until I IMDB'd him. He must have thought I was an idiot.