Taking Advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the point now of my love scene, and I'm having trouble whether the way I am going with it if it comes off as taking advantage of one's character's emotions.

The situation is....my hero just found letters he's deceased wife had written him before her death, blaming him for all these things he's been so blind to see. And he's heartbroken, shattered, completely numb when it comes to terms that he is the real one to be blamed for her death. Well, my heroine (MC) comes into his bedroom, sees him crying, and immediately tries to comfort him. And it takes off from there...

Is that taking advantage? When the MC is quiet, controlled, willing if he is, and he's just numb, on the verge of a breakdown, and she tries to put his mind on something else?

Any ideas would be awesome.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Reverse the roles.

If a girl is crying and vulnerable over a personal tragedy a guy offering comfort that results in nookie can be seen as a total a&&hat taking advantage of her when she's emotionally weak.

Some of the strongest scenes happen when characters don't have sex.

Think how the scene will go if your girl figures out where he is emotionally and just keeps to offering emotional comfort over physical distraction, (however tempted she might be). The guy is in a bad place and has to process some really horrible information. A hop in the sack with another woman is not going to improve things for him and he might go guilty over it afterwards.

I'd suggest playing the scene without them having sex, but leaving them at a point where they can, when things are better, take it to the next level. In that scenario your girl does something admirable to help the guy, and isn't seen to be taking advantage of a situation. If they have sex, then the dead wife is going to be in bed with them, too. (Ick.)

When they are past their baggage and choose to be together it's much better and healthier for the relationship.

Mixing love and sex with grief and guilt ain't romantic to me. ;)

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thank you for pointing in the right direction then. :) I was deciding thinking about how I could change the scene up a bit, but the way you put just to make the scene emotional, her offering support, him taking it. The love scene can come later, if not a few scenes away.

Having the dead wife in bed with them....sick image in my head! :( Because that's exactly how it would have come off, too.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Then would you consider having the love scene after the drama scene the next morning? After my hero's calmed down, and she's making sure he's okay. Both thinking clearly. Then? Because I want to still have some emotion in their lovemaking, plus extreme passion.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The next morning might be a tad too soon, for the same reason. Easy fix, though--just insert one more day. Have her check on him the next morning and maybe bring him over some food later on (after work or after running errands). A bucket of KFC or a tub of his favorite ice cream will go a long way toward just "being there for him." Yeah, guys eat when they're sad, too, if there's food available. Otherwise, they tend to forget to eat for days and days.

Comforting him, followed by the niceness could easily result in him wanting to go to the next step--and also wanting not to screw it up this time, so he'll have learned something in the process of his grief. :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Sometimes I seriously wonder if I'm lacking some sort of emotional sensitivity gene that everyone else has, because I didn't see the original scenario as taking advantage.

*shrugs* Getting laid makes people feel better.

Honestly, is something wrong with me?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with DecemberQuinn on this one. lol I just didnt see the badness of the situation. Either way you write it would be fine, it's all in how you handle it, I guess. A lot can be said of the emotional ramifications of them having sex at that specific moment. The dead wife could indeed come between them, guilt can rear it's ugly head the next day, the realization that it never felt that way with the wife and what was he really upset about? But the other way could work really well too.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...after reading over what you all are saying, I have the perfect idea how to make the love scene come up this.

Since my MC is living with the hero in this point of the story, just temporary, she could comfort him that night, and then the next morning I'm going to build as much tension, passion, and conflicts all mixed in on why they haven't so much as kissed yet. They've come close, but no icing yet. And then later on in the day, or so, my hero won't be able to take it anymore, he's thinking clearly, and.................oh, this is good. Only I wish I could explain it better to you all, but I guess the most important thing is I now know where I am going....

THANK YOU ALL!!! It was really bugging me.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Gooood!

Sexual tension the next day is the way to go. They're aware of each other.
icon10.gif

Good ol' sexual tension has been the mainstay of many a successful TV series from Moonlighting to Fraiser--I love the Niles & Daphne romance story arc. When those two finally DID get together it was extremely memorable because of all they'd been through to get to that point.
icon12.gif

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see the original scenario as taking advantage. Honestly, is something wrong with me?

No, you've likely had better luck in relationships than others.

I was once with a less than sterling partner who would offer comfort when I was emotionally vulnerable, just to turn it into sex. When the dog died the a&&hat wanted nookie! :rant:

God, I miss that dog.
icon9.gif

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I was once with a less than sterling partner who would offer comfort when I was emotionally vulnerable, just to turn it into sex. When the dog died the a&&hat wanted nookie! :rant:

God, I miss that dog.
icon9.gif

What a disgusting, miserable example of a waste of human life he must have been. Didnt he understand the trauma of losing a dog? What a pig.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I think the original scenario sounds H-A-W-T hot. I can see the advantages of just providing emotional comfort, but you know what? I freaking LOVE emotional-wreckage-leading-to-hot-sex. I don't care who is emotionally wrecked--it's a bullet-proof kink for me.

So I guess I'll join December in the "emotionally insensitive" corner. That's okay. We've got Simon Pegg movies and chocolate over here.

AndiB

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see anything wrong with it either in original form either. Of course, I wouldn't have found it offensive if the roles were reversed either. I would have seen it more as an act of comfort than love but that makes it all the more believable to me. Guess I'm insensitive too.

Even if I didn't agree I might be tempted to sit in the corner that has the chocolate (though I must admit I'm not sure I've ever seen a Simon Pegg movie)...but that's just me.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
He actually thought nookie would make me feel better about the dog.

What a disgusting, miserable example of a waste of human life he must have been. Didnt he understand the trauma of losing a dog? What a pig.

And those were his good qualities!

It's okay. After we split the male stripper I dated was the best revenge. I'm gonna do a movie script about HIM. (Woof!)
icon10.gif

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
WELL!! I LOVE the whole idea of as my MC is comforting the hero, not only is he shocked and shattered from the devastating letters, he becomes aware of her. Even through the tears.

And I love it even better that one scene I had to write was sort of a black sock in a pile of white socks. So, after thinking it over a bit during my crazy work day this afternoon, the scene I can't wait to write will fit PERFECTLY in with the love scene. And it's been a whole 24 hours from the time I "thought" they were going to make love.

Oh, I'm happy! Very, truly happy! And it flows......which is even better.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I just can't get the idea of the dead wife/best friend being in bed with them when my characters make love for the first time. Otherwise, I would have gone with the original scene, but.....that's just a sick image. :(

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sick or not, that's where his head is at if he's in the middle of a grief-filled guilt trip about having caused her death. His arms might be around the new girl, but chances are good (if he's got any kind of sensitivity and if he's crying you've got that in place) he's going to be thinking about the dead wife.

There was a scene in an episode of Dead Zone where the hero sees ALL the people both he and his partner had ever slept with--that was a real mood-killer! It was strangely hilarious too, and I'd have given much to have been on the set to see the out-takes.
icon10.gif

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have to put some action in between these scenes. As long as they are aware of each other...all will be good from then on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.