Need to Kill Someone, Stage it as an Accident

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My situation is this. A young, otherwise healthy woman is in an increasing domestic violence situation with her husband. He probably doesn't hit her regularly, and if he does it's in a "clever" way so bruises won't show. (This was in the 1850s where clothing covered most of the body--so he theoretically *could* hit her quite a bit.) She's afraid to leave because he's rich and powerful, family members are dependent on work from him (he's ruined others in business and would ruin them if she left) and she has a minor child. He would chase her down at any amount of trouble and expense and take the child--so she "hopes for the best."

One night an argument gets out of hand. Perhaps she finally threatens to really leave. (I don't know--only the two involved do and I'm writing from the POV of the child.) He kills her, accidentally because he's so mad or intentionally to get rid of her and keep the kid for himself. By the way, the victim should either die instantly, or at least without regaining consciousness--because if he did do it, and she told, or even muttered something in delirium--it would be revealed as not an accidental fall. With a brain lesion it might take awhile to die. (Princess Grace being a tragic real life example who could have been saved had proper help been summoned in time.)

He CAN'T do anything openly recognizable as murder--shooting, stabbing, hanging, poisoning--or he'd be found out. Throwing down the stairs is right out as a number of children and servants are present who would hear a noise. So that leaves me with a head injury, internal injury from a blow, or strangulation if it could be done without telltale bruises (no finger marks--but maybe crushing the whole neck in the forearm/elbow wouldn't leave such marks.) This was "back in the day" when a doctor would be called to the house, say she's dead, and that's it. No autopsy to determine cause, so the staged cause of death could be different than the real cause.

There could be telltale indications it was abuse--such as, a family member wanted to dress her for the funeral, but her husband was quite insistent servants do it--as he had them intimidated into silence. Years later, her son, a child at the time, has gained a lot of medical knowledge and puts two and two together that the accident didn't occur the way it was staged.

So I'm dealing with two things here. The actual cause of death, and the staged cause.

Actual cause, things I want to avoid: Flinging the victim across the room so her head strikes the marble top of a dresser. Very effective, but I saw it on a TV show so it's out. Hitting the victim in the throat and crushing the windpipe. Saw it in a book but never heard of it in real life and hard to make look like an accident. Also keep in mind it takes two minutes to really strangle someone. People can be rendered unconscious in real life as quickly as seen on TV, but they don't die that fast.

Things I'm leaning towards: head, internal injury, or broken neck from being flung against a wall or piece of furniture. Have also heard if someone is struck hard enough in the chest, their heart can go into arrythmia, or a blood vessel can rupture and they can bleed to death. (Princess Diana had a concussion, which was no big deal--the ruptured blood vessel was what caused her death--but if a person had hit someone in both the head and the chest, they'd probably assume the head injury was the fatal one and stage it accordingly.)

Staging the accident: I'd stick her shoe in her petticoats and make it look as if she tripped and struck either her head or chest against a bedpost, but her husband is very devious and theatrical. What about the staging of the accident could be overdone just enough to make people suspicious, but not so suspicious as to provide evidence it was not accidental? It takes place in an extremely upscale 1850s bedroom (she and her husband were in a bad enough state that they had separate rooms) so there'd be at least a very ornate, probably carved wooden, bed. There could be some object missing which was damaged in being used to hit the victim, and whose absence is not noticed till much later--after lots of people have been in the room.

Any suggestions or observations welcome, thanks.

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
Yes, if you strike someone in the chest you could make their heart stop beating. But it has to be perfectly timed, I believe on the upstroke of a beat. Something only a master in martial arts would really know how to do. And probably something he would have no idea about at that day and age.

What about making it look like she was going to take a bath and trips, and falls face first into a tub of water? Husband could take a little blood from the headwound and smear it on the edge of the tub. They wouldn't know back then, especially with no autopsy, to check the lungs for water. They'd just assumed she fell, hit her head, drowned. Then again, a servant would probably be pouring her bathwater for her.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Since it's the 1850's I'd be tempted, however he kills her, to stage it as a fall.

I'd lean either towards him cracking her skull or snapping her neck. Then staging her body at the bottom of that ridge out back.

As to how he actually does it, aside from the normal 'suddenly lost his temper and hit her harder than he meant' how about:
She tells him she's leaving, he grabs her and in her trying to get free/him trying to restrain her they fall and her neck gets broken.

Just a thought

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on TV once...

A real live case from approximately the same-ish era involved a doctor who drowned his wife in a bathtub. Seems she was reclining therein, he grabbed her ankles, gave them a swift yank, and under she went. Don't remember the precise mechanics of the drowning other than that, really, but it was tested by a researcher with the assistance of a top-notch competitive swimmer standing in for the unfortunate victim. Said swimmer was surprised, and very surprised, by the effect of getting yanked under like that. Seems water was forced up her nose and there also seemed be some issue of not being able to get easily out of the tub.

If I recall correctly, the doctor had done this at least once before, too, with another wife, which is what eventually brought suspicion upon him. Strange, this fellow has these wives who keep drowning in their baths...

In any event this, though having the appearance of an accident, is not genuinely the kind of accidental dispatching you asked about. Thought it might give an idea or two, though.

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
If he's big enough, and she's small enough, smother her with a pillow. Easy to detect nowadays, but nearly impossible back then I'm thinking... then he can say she died in her sleep of unknown causes, "brain fever", whatever they want to call it.....

Audrey

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
In the 1850's TB was a common cause of death. If he strangled her with his forearm instead of hands, there wouldn't be the tell tale neck bruising. He could then nick himself and put some of his blood in her mouth and down her chin and claim that she just started this sudden horrible coughing episode, turned red, coughed up blood and died.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Fake her suicide - perhaps hanging herself.

That way, he can call the doctor and beg that the truth behind her death (that she committed suicide) not be made public, and the doctor may want to put down something else on the certificate out of respect for her family.

He can even be totally remorseful, confiding with the doctor that the suicide is really his fault - he should have noticed how upset she had been, etc.

Good luck,

Mac

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I just have to comment that every time I read the title of this thread, I think YOU are asking advice about how to kill someone without getting caught. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In the 1850s, arsenic was very popular for unsolvable murders, because without an autopsy, the cause of death always looked like heart failure or some other ailment.

Consider that Mary Cotton killed like 20 people this way from the 1850s to 1870s.

So don't rule out poison. It fits your time period.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/cotton/1.html

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
As to how he actually does it, aside from the normal 'suddenly lost his temper and hit her harder than he meant'

That just reminded me of a particularly gruesome "Unsolved Mysteries" segment in which a presumably normal, healthy young woman was killed just that way. Boyfriend didn't beat her as a regular thing, but did strike her in the heat of an argument when she caught him stealing from her mother. Apparently she was killed with a blow or two. Her murder wasn't discovered until days later her mother noticed a vile smell in the house. Searched the house and found her daughter's body wrapped up and shoved under a bed--as I recall, the bed in which the mother slept! Though, as she was asleep at the time, don't know how the boyfriend got the body under that bed undetected. So, yes, guess it's not overly dramatic to kill someone in a story this way and stage it as a fall.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Fake her suicide - perhaps hanging herself.

That way, he can call the doctor and beg that the truth behind her death (that she committed suicide) not be made public, and the doctor may want to put down something else on the certificate out of respect for her family.

He can even be totally remorseful, confiding with the doctor that the suicide is really his fault - he should have noticed how upset she had been, etc.

Good luck,

Mac

No, her family would never believe it, and besides, I'm thinking of killing someone else off this way.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just have to comment that every time I read the title of this thread, I think YOU are asking advice about how to kill someone without getting caught. :)

Yes, I should have said, "Not really, just in a story."

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
Do they live in out in the country or in a city? Did the woman ride horses? I know it was probably rare for women to ride horses back then but I'm sure there had to be a few here and there. You said they have servants, but is there any chance he can get the body out of the house in the middle of the night?

If they live in the country, she rode horses(and that fact was known to at least 1 family member), and he could get the body out at night, there's a number of staged things he could do.

He could make it look like she went out for a late night ride and fell from a horse and got her neck caught in a rope or the reigns. Or if they have a horse and buggy, make it look like she maybe got a foot stuck and hit her head.

If they live near a river/stream or pond, he could make it look like she took a late night walk, slipped and fell into the water.

If they live out in the country, he could always kill a bear, keep a claw and get rid of the body. Later when he kills the wife, he could make it look like she went out for a late night walk, he mauls her with the bear claw.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
On plot point in the story that makes it suspect is the 'domestic violence' angle. I'm not sure of the actual time frame, but beating your wife didn't become stigmatized until at least the 60s, perhaps even the 70s. The 1960s that is. So seeing bruises and such may inflame the family but it wouldn't cause him much in the way of legal problems.

Recall, also, that women were considered to be the 'property' of their husbands and they could do as much as they wish.

But, if they're sleeping in separate bedrooms, why not just wait until some time after the argument, sneak into the room, throw her from an open window so that she lands on the ground below and wait for the servants to discover the mistress of the household had committed suicide. Since the abuse is well known within the house, it wouldn't be considered irregular that the woman finally decided the only way out of the situation was to kill herself.

But how does the son finally come back to realize that the death wasn't accidental and resolve that is was murder with the paltry medical knowledge he would have gained from the time frame?

Rabe...

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
On plot point in the story that makes it suspect is the 'domestic violence' angle. I'm not sure of the actual time frame, but beating your wife didn't become stigmatized until at least the 60s, perhaps even the 70s. The 1960s that is. So seeing bruises and such may inflame the family but it wouldn't cause him much in the way of legal problems.

Recall, also, that women were considered to be the 'property' of their husbands and they could do as much as they wish.

But, if they're sleeping in separate bedrooms, why not just wait until some time after the argument, sneak into the room, throw her from an open window so that she lands on the ground below and wait for the servants to discover the mistress of the household had committed suicide. Since the abuse is well known within the house, it wouldn't be considered irregular that the woman finally decided the only way out of the situation was to kill herself.

That's all true, as evidenced by a story on the radio program This American Life. During the 1920s, a woman left her abusive alcoholic husband, taking her children. He remarried and the second wife died following a beating from him. Nothing was done about it. He married again, and shot the third wife and her sister. This time he ended up shooting himself as well. He and his third wife died. Meanwhile, his first wife's oldest son was old enough to know all this, but would never tell his brothers and sisters anything about how their father died!

It might work in some cases, but in my story it should be well established that her brother would intervene and her father would simply kill the offender if she were mistreated.

But how does the son finally come back to realize that the death wasn't accidental and resolve that is was murder with the paltry medical knowledge he would have gained from the time frame?

Rabe...

He becomes a medical expert later and must come to confront that he may well have not put two and two together, or even be living in denial.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Do the people in this family ever go horseriding?
A fall from a horse - perhaps getting trampled is an ideal way to stage an accident.

Dead right--this was done at least twice on Unsolved Mysteries--in fact, one of them gave me the idea that she may have been killed by a blow other than to the head. In this case, a woman was killed by a suspected beating, which ruptured a blood vessel internally. It's theorized that someone nailed a horseshoe to a board and hit her with it to make it look like she was attacked by a horse. The other was the well-known Shannon Mohr case which even became a TV movie. But, I don't know if she would have been riding--or if well-bred 1850s women could mount a horse unassisted if so. A riding accident would be suspicious as her father was an expert horseman and would have taught her well--this could raise doubts with the son later.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score

That's what I was hoping, too. Can we start with an undetectable way to kill people who don't drive as well as I think they should?

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
In the 1850's TB was a common cause of death. If he strangled her with his forearm instead of hands, there wouldn't be the tell tale neck bruising. He could then nick himself and put some of his blood in her mouth and down her chin and claim that she just started this sudden horrible coughing episode, turned red, coughed up blood and died.

Wouldn't work, TB takes some time to get to the stage of coughing up blood. She would have been quite ill first and the servants would have noticed. She can't suddenly have an attack of TB and die when she was perfectly fine the day before. There's a reason they call it "consumption".

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score

Wives who weren't docile enough in that era were often accused of being mentally unstable or just plain crazy. If the husband made these accusations regularly, people would be more inclined to believe that it's suicide. But, maybe the son knows otherwise.

I do have to question whether a woman in that time would have considered leaving her husband, though. It really just wasn't done, no matter what. For one thing, there was literally no way for a middle-class woman to support herself, except possibly as a prostitute. The kind of jobs that they could get -- doing laundry, being a cook in a private home -- wouldn't pay enough to feed themselves or their child.

Also, children were considered the man's property as well, so there is no question of taking the child with her.

With TB, maybe the sudden onset is how the son realizes that it was murder, years later. If the husband has the servants under his thumb, he could insist that she had been coughing for years, and no one would disagree with him. Maybe he even pays off a doctor to agree. Or maybe the wife has shut herself in her room to recover from broken ribs from time to time, and the husband implies that she had consumption then.

Remember that illness was much more mysterious then. People often died for little or no apparant reason, sometimes suddely. It was chalked up to "a fever" or "wasting disease" or "taking a chill" or whatever. It wasn't like today, when we have a reliable diagnosis.

I really like arsenic, partly because it was an ingredient in many cosmetics and tonics that were designed to make the complexion luminous. So, the husband could stage it as an accidental death, but maybe the son realizes that his mother never used those products.

Last edited:

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Dead right--this was done at least twice on Unsolved Mysteries--in fact, one of them gave me the idea that she may have been killed by a blow other than to the head. In this case, a woman was killed by a suspected beating, which ruptured a blood vessel internally. It's theorized that someone nailed a horseshoe to a board and hit her with it to make it look like she was attacked by a horse. The other was the well-known Shannon Mohr case which even became a TV movie. But, I don't know if she would have been riding--or if well-bred 1850s women could mount a horse unassisted if so. A riding accident would be suspicious as her father was an expert horseman and would have taught her well--this could raise doubts with the son later.

Even an experienced rider can't always control their horse if something spooks it or it doesn't want to be controlled. I think it was acceptable for a lady to ride by herself. In Pride & Prejudice (granted it happens a couple of decades after your story) Jane rides a horse on her own to visit Caroline Bingley.

EDIT: Speaking of insanity. 1) I don't think he would accuse her openly of hysteria because it would be shameful ("Madwoman in the Attic" anyone? However to a doctor...perhaps. Also, it was relatively common for men then to have their wives commited to an asylum when they became too "unmanageable". Many of them commited suicide after they were commited. Maybe you could stage it as he supposedly takes her to one and kills her on the way? Everyone would assume she was still alive. Sonny could later go look for her there and find she had never been there in the first place?

Last edited:

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Wives who weren't docile enough in that era were often accused of being mentally unstable or just plain crazy. If the husband made these accusations regularly, people would be more inclined to believe that it's suicide.

Yeah, instead of killing her outright I originally thought of packing her off like this poor lady http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/lib/docs/1662.htm who was locked up for three years for unpopular religious views, but that's before I knew what tough customers her brother and father were. If she were locked up, they'd bust her out. If she died in the lockup, they'd kill her husband for putting her there. What's more, I think her husband is codependent and NEEDS her around, and is trying to force her to be a certain way, so gets frustrated, accidentally inflicts fatal injuries, and tries to stage it as an accident. Like maybe she was running with scissors.