I don't get the rep point stuff

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
It's akin to passing notes in class. It's sharing the love and sharing the fun. It builds relationships so when people post stuff that makes you mad, you can look back at the times they repped you and say "they're really a nice person, so maybe I'll cut them some slack".

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It's akin to passing notes in class. It's sharing the love and sharing the fun. It builds relationships so when people post stuff that makes you mad, you can look back at the times they repped you and say "they're really a nice person, so maybe I'll cut them some slack".

Oh, is that what they're for? I thought it was so that I could take secret delight in leaving trails of profuse coolness.

::trails::

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of a virtual "nudge-nudge, know-what-i-mean?"

A cyber smile.

A 'net Howdy.

The www version of passing little love notes.

Plus they're just nifty-knee-toe.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Reps are great for passing witty comments or inside information back and forth quickly. Other than that, they're rather useless little baubles.

*sends a warship after Scarlet*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a time when you could tell if someone actually knew what they were talking about based on rep points, but it became a love-fest free-for-all long ago. Now you have to use your discriminatory powers to determine whether I'm full of it or not.

Can I have your points?

Maryn, knowing it never hurts to ask

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Rep points are cool, and I actually don't think to give them often when I should. ** smacks bum **

It's a really nice feeling when people get a kick out of a post. Especially when it's something like "I just lost control of my bowel movements reading that". It feels so good to know that you've had that laxative kind of effect that you've been after.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reps are great for passing witty comments or inside information back and forth quickly. Other than that, they're rather useless little baubles.

I thought you were dead.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you could swap them for a nice pair of shoes...Oh, well.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
If you put your cursor just below the "posts" word that comes before a person's post count, you can see their rep lvl. Every 100 reps you gain a new rep lvl. Once you hit 1k reps, it goes to "You are so great we have run out of appropriate compliments." Pretty neat. Though, now that I'm past 1k, I'm kinda sad. It's only note passing now. ;)

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more curious about PMs. I haven't really sent that many of them ever. Sometimes I feel an urge to, maybe to say how much I enjoyed a post or to encourage someone... whatever. But something feels a bit more "invasive" about PMing, as though "what the hell's this guy's motive?" Am I weird? How often do people PM on here?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
You have over 1K reps?! That's one per post! Sheesh.

Clearly I am not as popular as I thought I was.

Or I'm just not a REP WHORE!

I could be jealous, though.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'm more curious about PMs. I haven't really sent that many of them ever. Sometimes I feel an urge to, maybe to say how much I enjoyed a post or to encourage someone... whatever. But something feels a bit more "invasive" about PMing, as though "what the hell's this guy's motive?" Am I weird? How often do people PM on here?

I have to clear my PM box once a day... It's gotten that bad for me. And I swear I don't even start it. LoL.

I got 10 beta readers out of nothing. *PM Poof* Do you need a beta reader?

I can't say no. :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Hang out in the Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club, Pat. With all the rep frenzy's taking place there you'll understand why reps aren't a big deal. They're fun though and make AW enjoyable.

Like I said, they're nice for quick chats but there are a few 'absolute sages' around that don't have 1000+ reps. Being given Absolute Sage status is a big deal, IMO though.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Your's is not to get...your's is only to give.

Does the little man behind the curtain get paid!? Does he get to trade in his points for an Emerald City!

Oh...wait a minute. That may not be a good argument. It seems he does have an Emerald City. BUT! AHA! Does he get to trade in his points for a ride home!?

Oops...wait a minute. He does get a ride home.

Whatever. Fluff. The rep points are a fluffy way of conversing between the lines, lady. Chillax and read your rep comments.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score

Danger Jane and I have had a conversation going via PMs for like two months now. And I usually have a few other conversations going with other people. Usually I go to PM if the rep conversation is getting too ridiculous, and then I'll switch to email once the PM conversation gets really extensive.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
You have over 1K reps?! That's one per post! Sheesh.

Clearly I am not as popular as I thought I was.

Or I'm just not a REP WHORE!

I could be jealous, though.

Actually, I'm the rep slut who gives Az a point for every single post...we have little conversations via rep points, don't we Az?