Freddie Mercury's birthday 9/5

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Please light a candle and say a prayer that all our AIDS research will pay off and we will see an end to this terrible disease.

September 5, 1946 - November 24, 1991

"In the years to come, would you light a candle and remember me on my birthday?"
"Aye, blossom, I will." Highlander

I still love you, Freddie.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Up until two years ago, I didn't really 'get it'. I mean, I liked 'Queen' just fine, but then I saw some old footage of him at Wembley Stadium - the first LiveAid event, I think. My neighbors played the whole concert, projected on a sheet at a block party.

I never wanted him to stop. He really was a riveting performer.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your comments. Rep points all around for stories about Queen, comments, etc. Let's keep this thread alive today. :)

citizen_erased

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I didn't realise it was Freddies birthday today but the guy was/is a legend. I'm a massive Queen fan, have been ever since my Dad played Queen in the car when I was little. ANyways as i got older, I always knew Freddie was dead and died of AIDS but it wasn't till a few years ago that I watched a documentary on him and it really made me sad. The way he kept it hidden so long and recorded Innuendo shows what a man he was. That documentary made me cry, and I was 17 years old at the time. It was well done, with a piano version of Who wants to live forever in the background as they showed pics of Freddie. Was sad, can be found on youtube I think. Anyway, I loved Freddie. Never will there be songs with lyrics that mean so much, such passion as the last few Queen songs. 'Those were the days of our lives', when he goes...I still love you, that's a tear jerker right there. Sorry for rambling on lol

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Freddie had more talent in his little finger than a lot of today's "pop stars" have in their entire bands !

Long live Queen.

I loved Freddie. I re-purchased Queen's entire library on CDs.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
With 5th Sep as a birthday, how could the guy go wrong? Ask my kids about my Friday night with a few beers renditions.

Not a great Queen fan to be honest, but there's no denying they guy was the consumate performer. I particularly remember the Wembley show of Live Aid, when he simply took the whole stadium apart.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury = sheer, unadulterated awesome.

Accept no substitutions.

Reaction score
I remember watching the video for The Show Must Go On, thinking...that man's got some balls, being able to sing that. How bloody brave - and poignant. I like Living on my Own, though. I don't have no time for no monkey business! :D

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
I saw them front row. Front row I tell you! FN amazing!

I AM SO ENVIOUS. I never had a chance to see them.

I was 14 in 1991. I had just gotten home from cheerleading practice, and it was time for the evening news. My dad had left the TV on and went to talk to my mom in the kitchen, so I was dancing around in the living room, watching the news. I fell to my knees when Dan Rather said that Freddie Mercury had died of AIDS. I think they played "These Are the Days of Our Lives." This was at a time when I'd heard all their great songs, but didn't put song and artist together.

I was date-raped when I was 16 (my first date). He didn't use a condom and made it very obvious that he'd had sex with many, many girls, and I should've known the deal when he asked me out. I spent the next seven months in sheer and utter terror that I was going to die. Yes, this was Iowa in the early 90's, but every night on the news we saw more reports of heteros with AIDS, not to mention Magic Johnson.

I prayed to Freddie that I wouldn't have it, that I wouldn't die. Maybe he's a saint, maybe he's not, but I don't have AIDS, and I consider it a miracle, no matter what anyone says.

My husband and I were set up on a blind date; we went to a mutual friend's house to watch Highlander. I saw tears in his eyes when Heather died, and they played "Who Wants to Live Forever." That's when I knew: he's the one. He bought their greatest hits #2 (Classic Queen) a week later, and we spent our first "alone" date listening to it.

And that's probably way more than you guys ever wanted to know about me...sorry. But that's why this is so important to me.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My parents STILL tease me about how geeked I was when I got home from that concert.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
WE WILL NOT LET YOU GO!!!

I see a little silhouetto of a man...

It's still a crazy little thing called love we have for you, Freddy baby.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I loved Don't Try Suicide. Just wakened you up to the stupidity of it all. It spoke to me.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I saw Queen in Toronto sometime in the 80s. I couldn't even pin down a three year radius. The 80s were insane for me. It might have even been around 79ish?

The man was an operatic phenom. Nobody compares to him on stage. He was an amalgamation of so many different things. Awe...that's what I remember from my concert experience. Just awe.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Queen played a key part in my coming of age in college. Fresh off the boat, I knew nothing of American rock except Elvis. Then I saw Highlander and listened to my dorm mates playing Queen and my world changed.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queen Live Killers was the soundtrack to my 10th grade year. That live version of Now I'm Here ... yes!