Flying Ointments and Baneful Herbs

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I've always leaned towards herbalism and green magicks, so it was no surprise when I stumbled across a book that contained a little information about the baneful herbs and some of their uses (though it was a delightful treat).

Now, the subject of flying ointments* and the baneful herbs** (henbane, hemp, hellebore, belladonna, hemlock, etc) has been popping up around me a lot lately, so I've decided to look into it a little bit.

I've found out a lot- mostly the history of the herbs and how the ointment was used (it was really fascinating to read about)- but I'm still hungry to know more. I'm nowhere near advanced enough to dwell in this such powerful magick as this, but I would like to find out more about it, as well as other older magicks.

* For those who don't know, flying ointments will not actually enable you to fly as in, "Hahaha! I'm flying! I'm racing a bird! I'm flying!", but they are said to induce quick astral projection with powerful results, and keeps your consciousness completely intact. The ointment is traditionally made with three or more of the baneful herbs, and can be very dangerous when used incorrectly (many of the herbs required are more than capable of inducing comas and death. Scary properties, if you ask me). Flying ointments were often used so that the Witches of older times could have discussions and ceremonies without fear of being caught and tortured/killed/etc. Most recipes for flying ointments today are rip-offs or poor modernizations of the original, powerfully effective, older recipes.

** Again, to those who don't know- DON'T PLAY WITH BANEFUL HERBS! MANY OF THEM ARE LETHAL, EVEN IN SMALL DOSES, AND NEARLY ALL OF THEM ARE VERY POISONOUS! THEY'RE VERY, VERY POWERFUL MAGICK, AND USING IT WITHOUT THE RIGHT KNOWLEDGE CAN RESULT VERY BADLY. THIS COULD BE WHAT SOME CALL "VERY, VERY, VERY BAD JUJU" IF USED INCORRECTLY. Those new to the Craft should read up on them, but be sure that you have plenty of experience under your belt (years) before you even consider toying with these bad boys.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
You might want to see if you can find a copy of Johannes Hartlieb's book das puch aller verpoten kunst, which was published in the 1450s. He goes into extensive detail about the powers of forbidden herbs and sorcery, including the earliest known reference to flying ointment as we know it today. If you're interested in info about pre-Christian use of herbs for a similar hallucinogenic reaction, read Lucius Apuleius' writings (not sure of the exact date, but it was around the time of Marcus Aurelius, maybe 150 AD?), in which he discusses a young woman who covers herself in an ointment and turns into a bird and flies away.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You might want to see if you can find a copy of Johannes Hartlieb's book das puch aller verpoten kunst, which was published in the 1450s. He goes into extensive detail about the powers of forbidden herbs and sorcery, including the earliest known reference to flying ointment as we know it today. If you're interested in info about pre-Christian use of herbs for a similar hallucinogenic reaction, read Lucius Apuleius' writings (not sure of the exact date, but it was around the time of Marcus Aurelius, maybe 150 AD?), in which he discusses a young woman who covers herself in an ointment and turns into a bird and flies away.
Does das puch aller verpoten kunst have an English version? If so, that sounds right up my alley.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
** Again, to those who don't know- DON'T PLAY WITH BANEFUL HERBS! MANY OF THEM ARE LETHAL, EVEN IN SMALL DOSES, AND NEARLY ALL OF THEM ARE VERY POISONOUS! THEY'RE VERY, VERY POWERFUL MAGICK, AND USING IT WITHOUT THE RIGHT KNOWLEDGE CAN RESULT VERY BADLY. THIS COULD BE WHAT SOME CALL "VERY, VERY, VERY BAD JUJU" IF USED INCORRECTLY. Those new to the Craft should read up on them, but be sure that you have plenty of experience under your belt (years) before you even consider toying with these bad boys.
Surefire way to get someone to try something they oughtn't. :D

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Does das puch aller verpoten kunst have an English version? If so, that sounds right up my alley.

I remember seeing an English translation of portions of it some years ago, but for the life of me can't remember where. You might have to do some digging; maybe check at sacred-texts.com and see if they've got it.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just found out how the symptoms of belladonna poisoning. They're ultra fun!

First, you completely lose the ability to talk, then your spine jerks you forward over and over again, and your hands move uncontrollably.

It's like crazy sex, but without the sex.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Belladonna, also called wolfsbane.

Said to cure lycanthropy...so you won't turn into a werewolf anymore. :)

Just a little factoid.
I read a book on herbs and spells to cure everything from having your brain leeched by a psychovampire, to how to find unicorns (go lie in a field with lots of ash trees, and put an ash leaf or branch on your chest. Apparently, you'll see a unicorn). I wish I could remember the title, because it was a really cool book, and had some awesome twists on herbology and herbalism.