My HUGE royalty check from PA (LOL)

luckygyrl1005

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is, "My butt hurts" Yes, I feel like they really gave it to me. My two checks were a total of $4.32 That's for two books. I know I sold more than that, I took the orders myself and placed them... they really have screwed me good... or bad I should say.
I will never, ever submit another book to them again. Anyone reading this, run from PA

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. PA is a soulless monster.

That being said, keep all your receipts and transaction records handy, and any correspondence to or from PA. You may decide to take them to arbitration or court, either now or later. Keep everything.

You may want to read up on the different threads here from authors who have gotten their rights returned from PA. You may consider pursuing it yourself. Stick around, and good luck to you.

Last edited:

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
All I can say is, "My butt hurts" Yes, I feel like they really gave it to me. My two checks were a total of $4.32 That's for two books. I know I sold more than that, I took the orders myself and placed them... they really have screwed me good... or bad I should say.
I will never, ever submit another book to them again. Anyone reading this, run from PA

Did you receive two checks? At the same time? Because I just went out to the mailbox and pulled out two checks from PA! (I guess these are late sales that finally trickled through, since I canceled the contract months ago.) Now these checks and the accounting are identical, down to the check number! But they both look valid!

At first I though, OK, PA is trying to make sure that I get my check - they have done very poorly on this regard in the past - but if you received two as well, perhaps the PA accounting system accidentally spewed out twice as many checks as it should have? (And that is actually more logical than expecting them to give special treatment to an ex author.)

I wonder if it is possible to cash them both - which I will not do (my soul, although not incorruptible, has a higher price than the amount on this check). But I like to think of the havoc wrought when others do...!

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry lucky... Here's to better luck next time, WITHOUT PA! Props for posting in here, we're all on your side.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
On the other hand, if PA did screw up in issuing the checks, this could place a serious dent in their bank accounts. I mean, just where will they come up with the dollar for the next victim's manuscript? After all, we can't expect Willem to use a lower octane fuel in his helicopter. We can't expect Miranda to cut down on the feed she gives her horses. We can't expect Larry to drive an ordinary vehicle as I feel certain he leases so he can deduct the expense from his taxes.

Ah, I know. They can fire Vic since he hasn't won any arbitration battles yet. Then they'll have more than enough to fund their next round of PAvidian koolaid. ;)

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow. $4.32. No wonder you call yourself "luckygyrl."

At least you've learned a lot from this experience. One day (after your butt heals) you'll look back and laugh!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Using the $1.23 figure as a base, I feel really sorry for any PA writers who have to turn around and write a check for $.19 to the likes of WL Writers Agency. After all, not only do they have to pay that, but also for the $.41 stamp, too. That's almost half of what they earned going to the scam agency that signed them up with PublishAmerica.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to cash both checks. If both checks have the same number on them, PA could put a stop payment on ALL of them and you'll be out the cost of the checks plus any fees your bank charges you when the checks get returned because they won't clear, usually in the neighborhood of $25 on up per hit.

luckygyrl1005

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your support. When I got my checks, and the reason I got two by the way is because I was really, really stupid and had submitted both manuscripts to PA, so I have two books published with them, anyway, when I received my checks yesterday, I logged onto the PA message boards and let my frustrations out with them... now I have been banned from the boards! Maybe they'll ban my books now and cancel my contract. There are actually people on there praising PA and making excuses for them and why their checks are so small!

luckygyrl1005

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd share my email I sent to PA for being banned from the boards...

Dear PublishAmerica,
I tried logging onto the message boards today, only to find that my account is inactive. It was active yesterday when I posted. The only thing I can figure is since I have an opinion about my royalty checks that reflects badly on you, you cancel my account instead of speaking with me to try to resolve it. When I signed up with PA I assumed they would treat me fairly and do a wonderful job. My covers were beautiful and I was very excited when I received my copies.
But six months later, a year after my first book was released it's hard for me to believe that I only sold two copies, when I ordered several copies on amazon myself for customers.
By kicking me off the message boards, you are only making yourself look guilty. I was just using my right as a citizen to express my opinion. I'm not asking to be allowed to use the message boards again, since I am only allowed to say what you want me to say, I don't want any part of it. I guess all that stuff I read about PA is true after all. I was hoping it wasn't, but now I see at least the message boards are monitored by "Junior high" mentality people, as in if you don't like what I say, ban me from your click.
Sincerely,
Cara Boynton

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi,

I received my cheque this morning and it was for $4.98 for The King's Quinto and $0 for Oscar Defoe. I am so sick of all this and I have been trying to get released from PA for ages, but they keep turning me down.

Luckygirl, I am sorry you got kicked off the PA board but don't worry, nothing goes on there anyway, those on their boards are there because they sing the praises of PA every day even when they know it isn't true.

I hope I get released soon as another publisher is interested in my two books.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you've seen the light about PA, but sorry it came at the expense of rights to your two books.
You'll find good company here and tons of support. they have lots of great advice about getting rights back.

Trish, who looked into PA but found AW on that search first, thank God!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Every once in a while, I browse the PA message board just to see what's going on. Today I found a post from a PA author who was ecstatic over his/her 6 month royalty check of around $65.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Every once in a while, I browse the PA message board just to see what's going on. Today I found a post from a PA author who was ecstatic over his/her 6 month royalty check of around $65.

Well $65.00 is a whopping sum of money to a PA author. They don't really see cheques like that flying through the letterbox!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
strangely enough I received a check as well for $2.49 today.

my rights were returned to me over a year ago.

I have written PA to ask who I need to take legal action against, since obviously four copies of my book were sold without my consent.

;)

this... is gonna be fun!

:D

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl, you'll probably get an "Opps- sent it to the wrong author" letter demanding the $2.49 back.

And demanding an apology.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I doubt it - the letter plainly states what book the wee check is for and all that.

not going to get too worried about it; it's only four copies of a 'orrible childrens book - but it does add to the claims of PA's inability to have decent bookkeeping.

very hard to claim you're on the up and up when you're doing silly things like this, boyos...

;)

luckygyrl1005

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here is PA's response to my email I sent them. You were right, they do get nasty. I'm glad to be rid of them.
Cara Boynton:

>>you cancel my account instead of
>>speaking with me to try to resolve it

No, you have it exactly backwards. Actually, instead of "speaking
with us to try to resolve it," you damage your own credibility by
posting baseless, accusatory nonsense publicly for all the world to
read.

>>I was just using my right as
>>a citizen to express my opinion.

No, you are not. First of all, what you expressed is not an opinion.
Secondly, you have no such "right", as this is our private
messageboard.

We would prefer that you "speak with us to try to resolve it." Please
ask your question coherently and politely, and we will be happy to
answer it.