PDA

View Full Version : Help! Home Hair Dye Novice...

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm standing at the sink, trying to figure out this home hair dye kit. I've had my hair colored for years, but since moving to Mexico I'm apprehensive about some of the 'salons' I've seen here. And the 'blonds'.

I picked up Garnier Nutrisse en trigo (wheat) since I've at least heard of this brand.

Any suggestions so I don't turn as orange as my walls? Will it stain my skin? Stain my clothes? I have NO females here to help me & I think my husband would only make it worse.

Oh yeah, and the directions are in espaņol.

Muchas gracias.

Melanie

MidnightMuse
09-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Do a test section, for the love of Dog ! Pick a glob of hair underneath, and test it. See what pretty color it turns when it's dry.

THEN do the rest of your head.

ETA: If it's puce with orange streaks, you're good to go :D

BardSkye
09-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Nutrisse is one of the best out there. Do a strand test to make sure, but it almost always turns out very close to the colour on the box as long as you haven't recently used a perm or henna dye. It stops working after about 35 minutes, so it won't over-colour.

BardSkye - Nutrisse "Mango."

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 02:37 AM
It stops working after about 35 minutes, so it won't over-colour.

BardSkye - Nutrisse "Mango."

Good to know. That was my other concern. Thanks. :)

TheIT
09-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Testing first sounds like a great idea. My sister once tried to go from her natural brown to blonde and ended up with green. :D

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Oh crap. I think I'll test tonight then go for the full thing tomorrow. Shall I do before & after pics? wait, I don't think I can post pics yet. drat.

scarletpeaches
09-05-2007, 02:55 AM
I think you have to use the dye as soon as you mix it. I've never done a strand test. But then I'm a bit car-ay-zee! :D

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 02:59 AM
See! These are things I need to know. So test, wait, then put the rest on?

scarletpeaches
09-05-2007, 03:00 AM
It always says on the packet to wait 24 hours but how can you do that unless you buy another box of dye? Because you have to use the colourant straight away, y'see. As soon as you mix it.

Danger Jane
09-05-2007, 03:01 AM
whole body

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Gotcha. I'm not seeing anything about 24 horas, but all the directions here seem to be different. I'm tempted to just throw it on without testing. who has time for that?

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Now I'm told I must use gloves. They didn't come in the box - is this important?

jennifer75
09-05-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm standing at the sink, trying to figure out this home hair dye kit. I've had my hair colored for years, but since moving to Mexico I'm apprehensive about some of the 'salons' I've seen here. And the 'blonds'.

I picked up Garnier Nutrisse en trigo (wheat) since I've at least heard of this brand.

Any suggestions so I don't turn as orange as my walls? Will it stain my skin? Stain my clothes? I have NO females here to help me & I think my husband would only make it worse.

Oh yeah, and the directions are in espaņol.

Muchas gracias.

Melanie

Come back to the US. It could be worse...My aunt went to Italy last week and paid $70 for a home hair coloring kit from Clairol. SEVENTY BUCKS!!!

TheIT
09-05-2007, 03:23 AM
If you don't use gloves, I think you'll be dying your hands as well as your hair. Also, the chemicals might sting.

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Come back to the US. It could be worse...My aunt went to Italy last week and paid $70 for a home hair coloring kit from Clairol. SEVENTY BUCKS!!!

I'll be back (bwah-ah-ah) for Thanksgiving but my hair can't wait that long - it's already been since May. Don't want to scare the kiddies.

This cost 48 pesos, which is about $4.80. Some benefits to this place. :)

I don't go anywhere so dyed hands wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. By anywhere, I mean I didn't leave the apartment for 4 days last week, I'm still under house arrest following a 'medical procedure.' I think my husband bought me this out of pity.

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 03:42 AM
hee hee *clears throat*

the gloves were INSIDE the directions. *smacks forehead*

I told you I've never done this before! I'll be fine now, thanks for the support.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Man, don't fear the salons! I lived overseas for years and I'm black. Do you know how hard it is to find a hairdresser that can effectively do black hair? Super hard!

You have to go in there and let them play in your hair. Take pictures, show them what you want. Don't be afraid to bring your own supplies! Be brave!

And good luck!

joyce
09-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Good luck with the hair color. I've always been a daring one and just globbed it on, waited and prayed I ended up with hair still on my head. Look at it this way, if you don't like the color.....wait a couple of weeks and recolor again. What's the worse that could happen........your hair falls out and becomes stiff like real wheat.

Chumplet
09-05-2007, 05:08 AM
For the strand test, just mix a tiny bit together but leave the rest of it apart to use the next day. I've coloured my hair so many times I don't bother with the strand test.

Salem
09-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Rub vaseline around your hairline and on your ears. That way if any of the hair color gets on your skin you can wipe it off easily without staining your skin. Good luck!

Unique
09-05-2007, 08:52 AM
oh, man. H2O2 and some water in a spray bottle (it's cheap)

Unless your hair is naturally black. Then I can't help ya. Good luck.

kristie911
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I've never done the strand test. Once I accidently ended up with purple hair. But that was once out of 50 times I've colored my hair.

I love coloring my own hair...I like getting the kits with the highlights along with the color, so you color and then add highlights. It's kind of fun. :)

BardSkye
09-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I've never bothered with the strand test, either, but I wouldn't mind if it turned green. It never has. The worst that happened was I got dark ash blond when I wanted golden blond. Now it's fire-engine red (that's what the mango colour is supposed to be).

It did happen to my mom once in the sixties. Hair colour then was similar to photographic emulsion and had to be wrapped up and kept dark while it was developing. She peeked and it stopped developing. Now you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

If your normal colour is black, it might not be as blond as you want when it's done.

Unique
09-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I've never bothered with the strand test, either, but I wouldn't mind if it turned green. It never has. The worst that happened was I got dark ash blond when I wanted golden blond. Now it's fire-engine red (that's what the mango colour is supposed to be).

It did happen to my mom once in the sixties. Hair colour then was similar to photographic emulsion and had to be wrapped up and kept dark while it was developing. She peeked and it stopped developing. Now you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

If your normal colour is black, it might not be as blond as you want when it's done.

You know, I had totally forgotten that. Why did you remind me? Who knew ash blonde was code for Mississippi River Mud?

I liked blue much better. (even if it did fade to aqua)

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
My natural color is ugly light brown. I was blond as a kid so I still delude myself that it's my real color. I went dark after my wedding, for a change, and HATE it! Any color will be better than I have...

My husband translated the directions for me this morning so I'll let y'all know how it goes this afternoon. :)

jennifer75
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Rub vaseline around your hairline and on your ears. That way if any of the hair color gets on your skin you can wipe it off easily without staining your skin. Good luck!
But be verrrrrrrrrrrry careful not to get V on your hair...cause it really works in preventing color from bonding to your hair... is bonding the right word?

jennifer75
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I've never bothered with the strand test

I've never done them either. I'm way to anxious to get it done I cant sit around waiting for strand tests.

I used to use cellophane color. I loved the results but hated the hour wait under the dryer. But, again, that only really works with colors, not blonde. They also have a clear cellophane that works as a great gloss/shine enhancer. Try it after you color, maybe the next day or so. Follow instructions on the package.

melaniehoo
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Don't worry, I don't have any vaseline.

(take THAT out of context! ha ha ha)

Sassee
09-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Hurry up and let me know how that goes. I was thinking of going honey brown myself (I'm a very dark ash brown) but I'm not sure I want to fork out the cash needed to have it professionally done...

melaniehoo
09-06-2007, 12:30 AM
It's doing it's work right now - I'm set to rinse in 10 minutes.

Do you know if I'm supposed to wash with shampoo afterwards? Seems like I should but the instructions don't say anything about it, just rinse. hmmm...

melaniehoo
09-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Well.... it's not orange. I think I should have bought a lighter shade. I'm still mousy brown but with a subtle 'glow' of blond. My roots are lighter so that made this experiment worthwhile. I finished over an hour ago and my husband has yet to comment - a sure sign he's not impressed.

The steps were very easy to follow so I will recommend this product. :)

Thanks for the help ladies!