PDA

View Full Version : ???

JenNipps
09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm assuming this is a rejection, but it's actually rather confusing.

Here's the deal.

In June, I had submitted a poem via e-mail to Writers Journal. I got a response back telling me they no longer accepted e-mailed submissions but to send it snail-mail.

I've been thinking it's almost time for them to make a decision.

Today, I got my return SASE in the mail. I was thinking "uh-oh!"

I pulled out my original cover letter where they had written some notes on it. One comment was that it seemed like I included a large SASE for only one poem. (Oh well.) THEN....

At the bottom, handwritten was this: "I am happy to accept Gestation for a future issue. I never know which issue -- I live in NH and the mag is put together in Minnesota."

OK, that's a good thing, right? I certainly thought so. But then I got to the second page that was included in the envelope.

A form rejection. "Dear Poet, Thank you for your poetry submission, however it did not meet our needs for fillers at this time."

So....

Maybe the poetry editor accepted it but they won't be using it based on the main editor's space constraints?

Confusing.

Calla Lily
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Huh. I'd copy both letters and snail 'em back with an explanation to the editor who gave you the "yes" asking for clarification.

My instinct is to say it's an acceptance and the form reject was supposed to trashed but wasn't, by accident.

CaroGirl
09-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Jen, IMO, this one merits a phone call to straighten it out. Someone messed up something somewhere. Just ring them up and get it sorted.

icerose
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow, I can definitely see your confusion!

JenNipps
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I just sent a request for clarification. I'll let you know what I hear.

Soccer Mom
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Yes, that one definitely merits a polite WTF? at the editorial staff.

LOL!

Cathy C
09-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Handwriting trumps pre-printed every time, IMO. But yeah, I would ask discreetly, either by phone or email. Good luck!

dclary
09-05-2007, 12:35 AM
To me, this says "We're accepting one of your poems, but not the others. Here's an acceptance for the yay, and a rejection for the nay."

Deirdre
09-05-2007, 01:01 AM
To me, this says "We're accepting one of your poems, but not the others. Here's an acceptance for the yay, and a rejection for the nay."
That's how I interpreted it.

JenNipps
09-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Handwriting trumps pre-printed every time, IMO. But yeah, I would ask discreetly, either by phone or email. Good luck!

Cathy, that's actually my guesstimate, but I wanted to be sure. :)

There's just a wee little problem with that idea, though.

I only submitted one poem. :)

dclary
09-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Ah, ok. You're screwed then. Sorry.

:(

(lol, j/k. It's like a magical guessing game! :D)

JenNipps
09-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Gee, thanks.

:cry:

lol

Where's a flower with a lot of petals?? "It's accepted. It's not accepted. It's accepted. It's not accepted..." :)

Cathy C
09-05-2007, 03:03 AM
I tend to be one of those overconfident sorts that would send an email saying, "Thank you so much for accepting my poem XXX. Please advise me which issue the poem will appear in and whether you'll provide the contract now or after the issue is determined."

Really. I'd do just that. :)

JenNipps
09-05-2007, 04:31 AM
That's probably what I should have done. Instead, I just asked for clarification as to which one was correct.

As it is, if it is accepted, I'll have to give them my new address anyway. It looks like we're moving anywhere from two weeks to a month from now.

JenNipps
09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
And it is now OH-ficial instead of just guessing.

It is an acceptance!

Just Me 2021
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Yippee! I'm so happy for you! So glad the poem was accepted!

Kudos to you!

ALLWritety
09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I am busy for a while come back and everything is sorted out. Cool Beans. I like threads like this one!

Congrats and Kudos and all that Jazz.

Kevvers