Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, so interns in a hospital have a doctor in charge of them. What is that guy called? I am so blanking on this.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Thank you, YES! Agh. I was searching for some complicated word and it's all simple.

Also, I think there's an "Attending physician?"

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe you are correct, Jo. Also referred to as "the Attending."

How can a job title that basically says, "Hey, I showed up, today!" be considered so important? :D

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Surgical residency is a minimum of 5 years, sometimes the intern will be watched by a junior resident (3rd year), a senior resident (4th year) or the chief resident (5th year). The chief resident is the intern's immediate boss, but even the chief resident is still just a resident. They still answer to the attending physician who ultimately is the one responsible for all clinical decisions. For the attending to be absent during surgery and only residents there, is called "shadow surgery". Other than life and death situations, surgery can not start without the attending present. Think of the chief resident as the quarterback and the attending is the coach.

It is also possible (s)he may work directly with the attending physician (the one who actually gets paid, and is the physician on the chart). The attending might be in private practice, or part of a group in private practice, or might be part of a university staff overseen by a chairman ((s)he's the one who answers to the residency review board for that specialty)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.