Pen Name or Actual Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True North

Chief Servant of Queen Lilo!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you use a pen name for your writing or your actual name? How did you decide?

I am trying to decide if I want to use my name or a pen name. My name is kinda boring: Lisamarie Robyn Johnston, I usually go by Lisa Johnston. I have thought of using a few different versions of my name: Lisa Johnston, Lisamarie Johnston, LR Johnston, Robyn Johnston...but all of them seem boring (My last name is SO common).

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Don't knock common--people can spell it! You could pick an unusual first name to go with it, like, I don't know, Easter or something. That just popped in my head; feel free to use it if it strikes your fancy. :)

My last name is very common too, Shaw. I like it, though, and it's short and easy to remember. I usually go by Katherine Shaw (my actual name, and exceedingly common) in bylines, but in a project I'm shopping now that's told first person with a male MC, I'm going by K.C. Shaw to obfuscate my sex. I like that name so much (it sort of trips off the tongue) that I'm thinking of using it for all my bylines. The C doesn't stand for anything, incidentally.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I guess I clearly went for weird but distinctive with Emily Veinglory. It wasn't really deliberate as it was my fanfiction name, then small press, then I was kinda stuck with it.

On the upside the .com was available and most people hit it after googling 'veinglory' so it must be reasonably memorable.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
On this idea, any suggestions for the recently married & name-changed? My new last name, Avila, is much more common than my maiden, Hooyenga. If (big IF) I ever get published I can't help but wonder if people will know it's me!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
My given name is James, but I grew up as Jamie. That's who I am, that's the name I write under.

Speaking of names, a friend thought I should just re-title my book "STEPHEN KING"--in ginormous type, with "by Jamie Ford" in small letters. He seemed to think that would help it sell...

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
My first and last names, John Robison, are somewhat common, but my full name, John Elder Robison, is rare. And that's what my family called me as a child, John Elder.

As far as I know, I'm the only one in the book world.

And that's what I used.

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
I'm thinking of using DD Foy or JJ Whalen; both are my kids initials and last names. My real name is rather bland; Sandra Marie Whalen-Foy. I'm not scheduled to go to print until November 08, so, I've got plenty of time to come up with something...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My pen names bear no relation to my name whatsoever. I don't want my 'real' life mixed up with my writing life (which, to me, is an unrealized 'dream life' so far). I just want privacy.

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
I won't have much choice should I get published. Only four people in a city of 3 million people have my surname...and they're all family. Nine outa ten people can't say/spell/remember it. It's ten letters long.

"Oh, but it's so unusual!" Yeah, whatever. You try living with it, then.

Methinks I'll use my mother's maiden name: O'Brien.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I plan on using a fella's name as my pen name. It's been suggested that fellas sell better than gals. I don't really care about that, I just want to have some privacy. And not have my grandmother read anything questionable I write. >.<

-An

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I use two pen names. One for commercial fiction and one for romance. My real last name is an unusual spelling and no one seem to be able to remember how to spell it. So I went with two other names that are easier to remember.

Renee/Darcy

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I went with a pen name for my kids' books for a variety of reasons. The only regret I have is that a couple of them have done really well and were reviewed and excerpted in the NY Times and other pretty high-level pubs, and no one knew it was really me!

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to write under a pen name after a woman in my RWA chapter read her first fan letter from a prison inmate.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pseudonym

I write some things under my own name, and many other things under several pseudonyms.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I adopted a pen name after being bugged one too many times by an over-enthusiastic reader. He creeped me out.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Pen name - seconding the person that mentioned the prison letters. No thank you. :)

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only Mridu Khullar in the world. Both my first name and surname are uncommon, and they're a very unlikely combination (both having very different regional associations).

In fact, I've only ever known of one other Mridu. And only one other Khullar (except for the ones in my family, of course).

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought "I have such a memorable last name, I can use that!"

Too bad my mother beat me to it. By the time I get anything published (*crosses fingers*) she'll have at LEAST sixteen children's books out under that last name. And that's if she never sells another manuscript ever again.

Then I thought "Well, okay... I'll just use her maiden name (and my middle name) as a last name."

Too bad she just used that one too, for her debut fiction novel.

*sigh*
Back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.