The Withdrawl Soon To Begin....

Reaction score
.....maybe.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/03/bush.iraq/index.html

President Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq Monday, saying fewer U.S. forces may be able to maintain security there at its current level.
art.iraq.bush.mon.05.ap.jpg
President Bush salutes Gen. David Petraeus, left, after arriving Monday at an air base in Iraq.

corner_wire_BL.gif

"Gen. [David] Petraeus and Ambassador [Ryan] Crocker tell me if the kind of success we're now seeing continues, it will be possible to maintain the same level of security with fewer American forces," Bush said during remarks at Al Asad Air Base in Anbar province.

"The level of violence is down, local governments are meeting again, police are in control of the city streets and normal life is returning," said Bush.
The president credited Anbar citizens who "rejected the dark vision of al Qaeda" and "organized themselves and they took on the terrorists."
"The result was that many local leaders who had once fought against our forces began to fight alongside our forces and against al Qaeda," Bush said.

"They didn't like idea of murderers deciding their fate," he said.
Later, Bush rallied U.S. troops on the base.
"Every day you show bravery under incredibly difficult circumstances," Bush told more than 600 Marines and soldiers gathered in a mess hall at the base. "I'm incredibly proud to be the commander in chief of such a great group of men and women."

The excited crowd responded to their commander-in-chief with hearty cheers and shouts of "ooh-rah!" and "hoo-ah!"

Advisers said the trip was so Bush could have face-to-face meetings with al-Maliki and local Sunni leaders in an effort to move them closer toward political reconciliation.

Ooh-rah, Mr. President.

Ooh-rah.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but that's not a hand salute. It's an attempt to hide a smirk.

art.iraq.bush.mon.05.ap.jpg

Can't read my lips? Na na neerer....

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The president credited Anbar citizens who "rejected the dark vision of al Qaeda" and "organized themselves and they took on the terrorists."
"The result was that many local leaders who had once fought against our forces began to fight alongside our forces and against al Qaeda," Bush said.
I've read that the Sunni in that province made the offer to do exactly that a couple of years back and were turned down by the military. Their offer was finally accepted when things continued to go badly for us. You can bet the weapons supplied by the U.S. will come in handy after Al Queda is gone, and the next order of business will be to drive out the Americans.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a drawdown. I think Bush is set on keeping as many troops in Iraq as is possible so long as he's in office.

Reaction score
I have to give blacbird credit.

He said that Petraus was the man.

And he is.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I've read that the Sunni in that province made the offer to do exactly that a couple of years back and were turned down by the military. Their offer was finally accepted when things continued to go badly for us. You can bet the weapons supplied by the U.S. will come in handy after Al Queda is gone, and the next order of business will be to drive out the Americans.

Reminds me of Custer's last stand, in a way. We're providing weapons and training to various factions who might very well unite to drive us out of Iraq.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a draw-down. I think Bush is set on keeping as many troops in Iraq as is possible so long as he's in office.
What I heard and read lately is that the government is extending the time between deployments and time of leave. How many return is debatable. Which means we quietly withdrawal without the fanfare of a media event. Sneaky bastards.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
What I heard and read lately is that the government is extending the time between deployments and time of leave. How many return is debatable. Which means we quietly withdrawal without the fanfare of a media event. Sneaky bastards.
That would be fine with me.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As Bush lands in Iraq, Clinton vows to end war

AFP - Tuesday, September 4SIOUX CITY, United States (AFP) - - Pace-setting Democrat Hillary Clinton pledged Monday to order top military brass to start bringing home troops from Iraq, if she captures the White House in 2008.

As President George W. Bush paid a surprise visit to Iraq's Anbar province to highlight his drive for more time for his "troop surge" policy, Clinton vowed that she would begin troop withdrawals in early 2009.

"As soon as I am president, I will call the Joint Chiefs together, my Secretary of Defense, my security advisors -- and give them a very simple directive -- start planing now to bring them home as soon as we responsibly can," she said in a campaign swing through Iowa.

Bush said during his surprise visit to Iraq that if current "success" in Iraq was maintained, security could be maintained in the war-ravaged nation with fewer US troops -- a vow unlikely to assuage Democratic complaints.

Democratic presidential candidates slammed the president over Iraq as they courted blue collar voters on the Labor Day weekend in Iowa and New Hampshire, which hold crucial party nominating contests early next year.

The Labor Day holiday, marks the traditional starting gun for next year's election, when candidates turn more to personal attacks and voters begin to tune in, though the going has already been intense in the 2008 race.

Republicans, who don't count organized labor as a major support base, were due to pick up the pace later this week, with the entry into their fluid race of screen star and former senator Fred Thompson.

Clinton did not specifically mention Bush's visit to Anbar, en route to talks with Asia-Pacific leaders in Australia.

But one of her top rivals for the Democratic nomination, former senator John Edwards, who like her voted to authorize the war in 2002 and now opposes it, lashed the president over the trip.

"The situation in Iraq is too serious for any more "Mission Accomplished" photo-ops," Edwards said, referencing Bush's flight to a returning aircraft carrier in 2003, in which he declared major combat operations over.

Bush's stopover came the day before Congress returns to Washington with a major clash brewing over his strategy to surge nearly 30,000 more troops into the country. . . .

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070904/twl-us-vote-2008-democrats-7e07afd.html

What do you want to bet the Republicans throw their weight behind Thompson. . . . .

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"As soon as I am president, I will call the Joint Chiefs together, my Secretary of Defense, my security advisors -- and give them a very simple directive -- start planing now to bring them home as soon as we responsibly can," she said in a campaign swing through Iowa.
Bush - or any politician - could use that phrase with equal veracity. It could mean anything. What's more, anyone who argues can be labelled as irresponsible. The genius of rhetoric!

It reminds me of a road sign we see out here when highways are being repaved, and there aren't any lines painted yet:

"Roads under construction -- do not overtake unless safe"

Er, thanks.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if he'll be the one they choose. They seem to be going for Rudy Giuliani. Ugh...

I very much doubt it. They can't control Giuliani.

And his "ilk" doesn't exactly add up to the yachting club favorite. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bush - or any politician - could use that phrase with equal veracity. It could mean anything. What's more, anyone who argues can be labelled as irresponsible. The genius of rhetoric!

It reminds me of a road sign we see out here when highways are being repaved, and there aren't any lines painted yet:

Er, thanks.

Lol!! So true, Poet.

Nevertheless, I think Hillary will clinch the Democratic nomination. If you go to the link on the article, take a look at the picture.

Remember the good ol' days? Well the Clintons don't want us to forget them either. . . .

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Er, thanks.
When I become President, I'm going to create a committee to look into this issue, properly and impartially. And make no mistake--the problem will be fully and appropriately addressed, once the committee has issued a non-partisan position paper. I promise.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember the good ol' days? Well the Clintons don't want us to forget them either. . . .

Bill kind of looks like he's hanging with Barbara Bush's hairdresser, though. I wonder if that makes Hillary look more vivacious by comparison?

When I become President, I'm going to create a committee to look into this issue, properly and impartially. And make no mistake--the problem will be fully and appropriately addressed, once the committee has issued a non-partisan position paper. I promise.

Oh, Rob, you keep promising, and I keep believing. Make an honest man of me one day, will ya?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bill has that wonderful white full head of hair reminiscent of our founding fathers and their infinite wisdom. . . .

And Hillary - I must say - is dressing very well these days. She looks smart. - chic without courting the capricious nouveau - exemplary taste.

Yes, I dare say. . .the Clintons will be hard to defeat.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see Bill Clinton sporting a powdered wig with a queue.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i just like the bushism "...drawl" in the thread title.

Ah yes: Bush. All drawl until he gets to Kennebunkport and his Yale reunion.

Fight it if you must, William. Hillary will be hard to beat.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Fight it if you must, William. Hillary will be hard to beat.

how do you get from that to this?

i have done more to promote hillary and have stated more vociferously than any that ms. clinton and her ample bosom will be bouncing around the white house in 2009.

Last edited:

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score

i have done more to promote hillary and have stated more vociferously than any that ms. clinton and her ample bosom will be bouncing around the white house in 2009 than anyone here.

I dunno. I think I'm sticking with Faye Dunaway.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

i have done more to promote hillary and have stated more vociferously than any that ms. clinton and her ample bosom will be bouncing around the white house in 2009.

Promote Hillary. . . Lol!!