New to this forum. Writing a memoir if you have a bad memory?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Hi, everyone!

I'm about a year along on a path that may make an interesting memoir. The problem is that I have a horrendous memory. I've committed myself to keeping a journal so I can document things as they happen now, but what do I do about events that happened during the past year? I'm writing down everything I can remember, but I'm worried about remembering things accurately. What do you do?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
The memories are there barring brain damage.

Try meditating and putting yourself in the time you want to recall, or you could use hypnosis and a tape recorder.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also ask others around you what their memories are. Memoirs aren't supposed to be a blow-by-blow account, necessarily; they are a combination of memories, impressions, emotions. Some events painted in detail, others in broad strokes.

Just do the best you can, and see what happens. Hopefully the more uninteresting parts are the ones you can't remember! :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Remember too, that all memoir has a shadow of fiction in its path. Not every conversation will be exactly as it took place, things will be slightly askew from reality. Memoir is life seen through a vaseline lens at best. And even if you get everything close to reality, it will be your version of the truth. Every character in a memoir would see the situations differently. I never read a memoir with the idea that I am reading exact events. I have to realize that not all life is filmed by the minute. You have to adlib with what you 'think' happened in some instances. Just keep documenting from this point on. Actually sitting down and writing will also trigger your memory.