Post-publication disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. Just feeling a little deflated at the moment.

That's all, carry on.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Go ahead, kick it. It's been kicked around a bit lately anyway. I have to work on thickening up my skin.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Big virtual hug!

Do you want to go into more detail? Is it a postpartum thing, or are you feeling dissapointed by your publisher?

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Toothpaste.

I'm not depressed, for the record. I've had mixed reviews and very little publisher backing/promotion. I think my expectations were too high.

I'll just have to do better with my next book. :)

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
From what I hear it does get better! Way to keep the faith!

What's the name of your book by the way? (you should put it in your signature or something like I do - of course I have no shame . . . ) I see you are in Toronto, so I could totally pick it up!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Thanks, Toothpaste.

I'm not depressed, for the record. I've had mixed reviews and very little publisher backing/promotion. I think my expectations were too high.

I'll just have to do better with my next book. :)

Yeah, you could post a link to your website or put your book in your sig line, as Toothpaste suggested! I'm always scouting out books by people I've met around here!

PS but a big hug, anyhow!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Did your publisher hold a launch party for you? If not, arrange your own. I made all the arrangements for mine and my publisher paid for it. Arrange a launch at your favorite bookstore, invite your friends, place an ad in the paper, put up flyers and ask the store to put your photo and book in their front window. Call a community paper and ask for an interview. Marketing is part of writing. Not the really fun part but a necessary part. I think sometimes we have that movie mindset - 'if you build it they will come'. We've written the book so people should flock to buy it. They won't unless they know it's out there. You may come up with better ideas. Toronto is a great place to be a writer. If your book might fit into the young adult or childrens market ask your publisher to bring it to the attention of the Ontario Library Association for consideration in the annual readers choice awards. That's a lot of fun. Good luck to you!:)
Linnea

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Karen.

Linnea, the book was published in March. My publisher didn't hold a launch, and they certainly won't pay for one if I arrange it. I was 9 months pregnant at the time, so the lack of fanfare didn't bother me. It still doesn't, for the most part, but after a few glasses of wine last night (and after reading a particularly negative review), I was feeling a little let down.

Thanks for your support. :)

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Letdown

Probably not for the same reasons, but I had a huge post-publication letdown after my first novel. The thrill went on until I saw my first novel on a bookshelf, picked it up, and realized I had to forget that book, go home, sit down, and start another book from scratch.

Somehow, I guess I'd been thinking of a book publication as the end of writing. When I realized it was really just the beginning of doing it all over again, there was a big, big letdown.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Probably not for the same reasons, but I had a huge post-publication letdown after my first novel. The thrill went on until I saw my first novel on a bookshelf, picked it up, and realized I had to forget that book, go home, sit down, and start another book from scratch.

Somehow, I guess I'd been thinking of a book publication as the end of writing. When I realized it was really just the beginning of doing it all over again, there was a big, big letdown.

What he said. I had the same feeling -- not a letdown as if nothing went my way. I was gratified. I wasn't going to trivialize getting published. But something seemed missing. And it was wonderful seeing it on the shelves and going to my first signings, etc. but eventually I realized what that "emptiness" was -- like James said, I needed to write another book.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
iiliterate - why not organise a launch party now! It could be kind of fun, and you could invite your friends and family and anyone else who is interested. Just an idea.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I want to second or third making sure your book is in your sig. I don't have sigs turned on, but if someone says something that interests me, I may look at their profile. If I see a book link, I might follow it. I've bought quite a few books from authors here, and I have quite a few on my Amazon wishlist for when they're released.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree with putting your book in your sig (as is pretty obvious by looking at MY sig! :ROFL: ) Also, if you haven't already--make sure you post a thread about the book in the AW Library. One nice thing about the Library is that AW gets a TON of spider crawls per day and your post will get thrown around the web, plus will show up in the New Posts for everyone to look at. Just follow the guidelines in the link here and you'll soon have your very own page on the site! :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Funny you should start this thread. I was on cloud nine when my novel was first released, but it was an e-book and I didn't have a real book in my hand. I did run around with the printed galley on a clipboard, showing everyone the copyright page.

After two months, I still haven't received a single crumb of feedback. It was sent to several reviewers by the publisher, and I sent a couple myself, but nothing. Not even negative. I have no idea if it sucks. I shouldn't feel this way.

When it's released in print next month I'll probably perk up a little and arrange for a party if I can afford it. Plus, now that I sold my second book to another small press, I think I'll climb out of my blue funk. That one should be easier to promote.

I'll take your suggestions and put the title in my sig, and my blog site is already there.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Oooh, thanks for this thread, illiterwrite! I, too, worry about the "post partum depression!" I've never done this before, so I'm trying to relish every step of the way as I approach publication (just turned my galley proofs in this weekend, so there's no going back now!) and I'm sorta already biting my nails playing the "what if?" game and hoping I don't land like a tree in a forest.

'Course, as some of the others have mentioned, I'm already poking at my proposal for my next one to keep my mind off it (I'm a nonfiction writer, so my rules on pitching are just slightly different than you fiction folks (and don't get me wrong -- I'm envious of your ability to write fiction, just glad I don't have to submit the same way you do! And I just used double-parenthesis, which is sort of a no-no...)) Anyway, that's how I'm hoping to beat back any blues I might have. And also by keeping my expectations managed, too, I suppose....

And look! My book is in my signature! Oooooh....

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Think of it this way Shadow, you've been working really hard to get an agent and then published (as all of us are/have), all you want is to get published, then finally after all your hard work and expectations you are, and what happens. . . a big fat nothing. The publishing house doesn't stand behind your work, the only people who really know your book exists are your friends and family. Yes getting published is the dream, but I think we all want something more than just that, otherwise we'd go with PA or another vanity press. Or self publish.

It is odd though, isn't it? How even when your dream comes true, things can turn out a little differently than you thought.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want the chance to be depressed!

Oh, wait . . . I AM depressed.

What Shadow said.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I want the chance to be depressed!

I think when your dream happens, you kind of want your life to change. You don't dream that life trogs along just like always.

Maybe the lesson is to acknowledge that the publication of the book is only one part of the dream, that we want the reading public to sit up with its eyes wide open and go, 'DAMN, that's some book!' Or at least for there to be some kind of hoop-la, for the world to acknowledge this great thing you just did - wrote a book and got it published!

Can we have a virtual launch-party on AW? I'll bring the gin and the 'where do you get your ideas?' -type of question.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Add some Olivares and lemon juice to the gin (Hendrick's), and I'm there!

Life does continue doggedly on despite us.

I agree with putting your work in your sig line. I've got some books in my Amazon cart that wouldn't be there if not for works in sigs.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Think of it this way Shadow, you've been working really hard to get an agent and then published (as all of us are/have), all you want is to get published, then finally after all your hard work and expectations you are, and what happens. . . a big fat nothing. The publishing house doesn't stand behind your work, the only people who really know your book exists are your friends and family.

Or you could get lucky. You do hear stories, after all, even here on AW.

Then again, I know someone whose first book has done very well, sold all over the world, etc. I asked my mother-in-law if she'd read it -- she's a voracious reader, usually has books as soon as they hit the shelves. She'd never heard of the book or the author.

Anyway, I've just finished a draft of my second book, and I have two small kids, so it's not like I have time to sit around moping. My agent basically told me to get over it and move on. She called it my "starter book."

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
No launch party for me either. Or interviews. Or signings.

No depression either though because all of the above were my choices. My book seems to be chugging along pretty well despite the absence of fanfare and I'm pleased I didn't have to endure the whole PR thing - the prospect of which horrifies me (except for online stuff ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.