Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't make my reading list.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone would want to buy this. Who ended up publishing it? Did the first woman get fired?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
B&N is doing the right thing. letting the market decide.

if you choose not to buy/read it, don't. i have no plans to either.

but i don't want chain bookstores making morality calls on what they stock.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone would want to buy this. Who ended up publishing it? Did the first woman get fired?
The "first woman" was a Ms. Regan of "Regan Books", an imprint of HarperCollins. She was indeed fired within a couple of months of the first publishing fiasco over this book, but the publisher said something general about her, not specifically saying it was because of the OJ book.

Here's how the new version got into print, from a story a couple weeks ago:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12819922
This paragraph describes the publisher
"Eventually, Martin brought the book to a small New York house, Beaufort Books, which reached an agreement with the Goldmans [who now own the rights to the book]. The Simpson book is a departure for Beaufort, which normally shares both the cost of publishing and profits with its authors. Its catalog includes a number of self-help books with titles like My Feet Aren't Ugly: A Girl's Guide to Loving Herself and Why Bad Grades Happen to Good Kids."

Maybe someone can tell me more about that publisher, and how it would be categorized. It's definitely not like a mainstream publisher, but I wonder if it's similar to a vanity or "PublishAmerica"-like publisher/printer.

More details on the publisher and the story in this thread I hadn't seen before (someone forgot to put "OJ" in the title...):
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73890

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
IF they stock the book?! Geesh, first BN wasn't going to carry it, then they were. Perhaps I'll take a glance at it, when the library carries the book. Oh wait, IF they have the book!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to B&N right now. I'm going to find that book and mis-shelve it.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, they are letting the market decide. When it was first going to be published, OJ owned the rights to it, and he was the one profitting off of it. I think they were probably right that there was no market for it at that point. But now that the Goldmans own it, that is not the case, and there are probably people interested in buying it. I certainly won't be buying it, but I can't be upset with Barnes and Noble because other people do.

Reaction score
I don't want the Goldmans getting a penny of my money and I feel even more strongly about it than I would if Simpson was profiting from it. Now it stinks of blood money.

I'll get it from the library. If I spot it there.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
It looks like they changed their mind after the sales on their web site did so well. The book ended up in the top fifty shortly after the (latest) publication was announced.

if you choose not to buy/read it, don't. i have no plans to either.

but i don't want chain bookstores making morality calls on what they stock.
It can get really weird when they do that. And sometimes, I have to wonder at the judgment call involved. While this doesn't involve a chain store, there was a case years ago when the owner of an indie book store in Richmond, Virginia refused refused to stock Patricia Cornwell's first novel, Portmortem, in part because it was based on a murder case in Virginia. Sure, he had the right to do that, but it still gave me the heebie jeebies. (Besides, I wanted to type heebie jeebies.)