PDA

View Full Version : Tea and Sympathy (please?)

Jersey Chick
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Okay - it's official.

This past week has been the worst. one. ever.

Last weekend, I took the kids down the shore to visit my in-laws. My mom went. A nice little family get together for the weekend.

We had to find a home for our dog - whom we've had for four years - because she couldn't go with us to the new house for a variety of reasons. So, on Saturday, while I was down the shore with the kids, my husband took the dog to her new home. Kids are crushed. I am crushed. I miss that dog.

Then he calls me Saturday afternoon to tell me that our cat died. Now, she was almost 19, so it wasn't altogether unexpected, but still...

Kids crushed. I'm crushed. Now I've lost my dog and my cat in one 24 hour span. Crap.

Oh, but wait....

Midnight Saturday (or Sunday, depending on how you look at it) my husband calls. I'm just getting ready to go to sleep when my mother in law starts whisper-calling me. He wants me to call him on his cell. It can't possibly be good, but I call him.

He's taking himself to the ER because he's having such violent stomach pain. I tell him not to bother with driving, but to call the rescue squad. But, he's a guy and he's not going anywher in an ambulance. Fine. I'm not going to argue. What's the point. I tell him I'll meet him at the hospital. I tell his mother, wake mine (spend 15 minutes arguing with her that no, I don't need/want any company for the 1 1/2 drive north. I just want to be alone), get dressed, grab purse, keys, cell, and leave.

I get to the ER at about 1:30AM. Husband's all hooked up to IVs and painkillers - but he looks awful. At 3:30AM, he goes for a CAT scan. I watch Jaws and then Coach and finally, at 5:30AM, the doctor comes in. Turns out my husband has diverticulitis. They're admitting him for IV antibiotics, but they don't think he needs surgery.

At 7:30, he sends me home. I come home - freak out because the dog and the cat are gone (damn it) and then go to sleep for a few hours. I have to then go buy a toothbrush because I left mine at the shore. Spend all day Sunday at the hospital - where they still don't know anything. All week, I've been in this stupid hospital room - being told he'll be home Thursday. Then Friday. Then Sunday. And now this....

Now it looks like he needs surgery. Shit. It just keeps getting better and better... I need more than tea - I need alcohol... and hugs...

Sorry about the rant - but it really has been the suckiest week ever.

SpookyWriter
09-02-2007, 10:03 PM
That week does indeed sucko. My sympathies. Hope everything works out and a speedy recovery for your husband.

Danger Jane
09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm sorry. If I was omnipotent I'd fix it.

ALLWritety
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear that. What a crap week. Will say a prayer for you all.

Kevvers

The_Grand_Duchess
09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry your week has been so crappy! I hope hubby gets better soon. *hugs*

Susie
09-02-2007, 10:21 PM
That really does bite, Jersey. Sending special prayers and good vibes to you and yours. :Hug2: Let us know how your hubby's doing when you can, k.

Hillary
09-02-2007, 10:35 PM
That's awful. I can sympathize. And empathize. And give you tea and alcohol. And cookies. Because what good is a lot of tea if you have no cookies?

reigningcatsndogs
09-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way:Hug2:. Wish there was more I could do. Hang in there.

Shady Lane
09-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Jersey Chick, that sucks. I'm sorry. I was on IV antibiotics for a month, and they're not fun. At all. Though they're probably better than surgery.

EriRae
09-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Praying for ya :)

My grandma had diverticulitis. Just be glad that they have much better treatment for it these days. They did several surgeries on Grandma, resulting in more scarring, which in turn caused more episodes, which resulted in more surgeries... But she lived to 95 :) She moved in with my parents and started eating better when she was 90, and she didn't have another episode.

Hope he comes home from the hospital soon! And I didn't mean to scare you about the surgery--their surgical techniques have improved immensely since then, too! They now result in less future scarring.

sunna
09-03-2007, 02:24 AM
:Hug2: http://i16.tinypic.com/4mi4so5.jpg :Hug2:

My sympathies. Hope your husband gets better soon!

acharity
09-03-2007, 02:31 AM
*hugs*

Wishing you and yours the best.

Jersey Chick
09-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks everyone - I just got in from the hospital a little while ago. Jersey Guy's in good spirits - and even the surgeons aren't 100% certain what they'll find. He's having another CAT scan tomorrow (I'm amazed he doesn't glow in the dark by now) and we'll have more info then.

The chocolate, tea and alcohol really hit the spot! Thanks again! :)

A. Hamilton
09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
At least you're thinking of it as only one bad week-and look, it's about over.
Sure hope things begin to look up :Hug2:

Mandy-Jane
09-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad week. You know it can only get better from here!

maestrowork
09-03-2007, 07:40 AM
:Hug2:

akiwiguy
09-03-2007, 07:58 AM
A very tough week indeed. Hope all pans out OK in next few days JC.

kristie911
09-03-2007, 08:20 AM
((((HUGS))))

September skies
09-03-2007, 08:43 AM
:Hug2: oh Jerseychick girl - hugs for you.

tlblack
09-03-2007, 09:21 AM
:Hug2:

III
09-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Wait, Richie Sambora was in the hospital? Why wasn't that on the news? Hang in there, Heather. Sendin' love your way from Texas.

Southern_girl29
09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your bad week. I hope your husband is doing better soon. My mom has diverticulitis, too, but she hasn't had to have surgery yet. If she watches what she eats, she doesn't have all that many problems with it.

Soccer Mom
09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh sweetie! Sending hugs, tea, sympathy, cookies, alcohol, and chocolate.

Anything else for the care package?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
ARG! Bless y'all! Hugs on the dog and cat... more hugs on the hubby! And more cookies, alcohol, chocolate, tea and sympathy all 'round.

Jersey Chick
09-04-2007, 05:31 AM
The update:

Nothing to update. Another CAT scan done, but the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and he went for the scan late this afternoon. Of course, that means we won't know until tomorrow AM if he definitely needs surgery - but it's kind of looking like he does. Rats.

Thanks so much, everyone - it's really helping me get through this... and I figure it has to end eventually, right?

right?

Jersey Chick
09-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Just a quick update -

My husband had surgery yesterday afternoon and, according to his surgeon, she couldn't have asked for a more perfect surgery. Everything went well and she was able to resect his insides without resorting to a colostomy (huge sigh of relief there!). He was in some pain, but just about asleep when I left the hospital last night.

Thanks again to everyone who responded - it helped me get through one of the worst weeks I've ever had.

Now onto recovery - hopefully the absolute worst is behind us...

MidnightMuse
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Oh sweetie -I can sympathise ! My sister (the one I live with) had this very thing happen, only hers turned into EMERGENCY surgery because her diverticulitis - which she had been unaware of - ruptured. Even then it took another 10 hours to finally get her diagnosed, so she nearly died on the operating table.

Now she did end up with a temporary colostomy, which was repaired 3 months later.

So I know that stress !

I'm so glad your husband's surgery went so well, and he's sure to have a speedy recovery. Just don't forget to take care of yourself, as well !

Fenika
09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm glad your husband's surgery went well. Has he been checked for symptoms of Celiacs, Johne's, or other serious disorders? Some of those can be VERY tricky to diagnose and cause all sorts of INCONSISTENT issues (as in, they vary from person to person. The individual will have fairly consistent, ongoing issues).

Enjoy the lawn. Sit under a tree. And, let's see... *rumages through cabinets and pulls out 3 types of green tea, 2 types of black, and 1 herbal tea (Tazo's 'Calm'). Would any of these help? :)

Cheers,
Christina, who finished her 34 oz cup of Green tea with ginsing during the first 50 minute lecture this morning and is now coming back down. Too bad I have to pee in the middle of this second 50 minute lecture. :D

Maryn
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh, that is indeed sucktacular, but it looks as if all's going to end well, thank goodness.

Still, you stop on by my house for a drink, okay? We can discuss dog, cat, husband, or current events, your choice.

Remember that any hospital visit can be made better by stopping at the newborn nursery. The babies are either gorgeous or still kind of smooshed-nosed, but the goofy-happy parents are invariably adorable. It renews your faith in humanity.

Maryn, who used to visit the babies a lot

Jersey Chick
09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually, when I went from the surgical waiting room to get to Tom's room, I got lost and ended up in the maternity ward (well, they call it a pavilion - and it's really more like a good hotel - this is the same hospital where my kids were born - best maternity ward anywhere) and I had to stop and press my nose to the glass. Makes me want a third soooo much - then I go home and deal with my stubborn 6 year old and "terrible twos" two year old and that cures that up right quick.

JLCwrites
09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Wow! Your post just gave me a deja-vu moment! Like I had seen it somewhere before, or in a dream or something. Weird.

Anyway, congrats on the good news! So glad that everything is getting better!

-TL

sassandgroove
09-13-2007, 01:40 AM
OH HUGS!

Magdalen
09-13-2007, 04:24 AM
I see you on the street and you look so tired
I know that job you got leaves you so uninspired
When I come by to take you out to eat
You're lyin' all dressed up on the bed baby fast asleep
Go in the bathroom and put your makeup on
We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's
I know a place where the dancing's free
Now baby won't you come with me
`Cause down the shore everything's all right
You and your baby on a Saturday night
Nothing matters in this whole wide world
When you're in love with a Jersey girl

(Tom Waites)

I hope you both are doing better. I hope you both like this song. Hey, you mentioned Jersey Guy's name is Tom -- Waites???? Thinking of you and hoping this next week ain't so tough.

Jersey Chick
09-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Jersey Guy's name is Tom, but not that Tom...

I went to see him tonight - he was still quite doped up and out of it. My brother was there when I got there ad after Tom dropped off for good, we sat and chatted for a while, so it was all good.

According to the doctors, he should be able to come home Sunday - hopefully in time for the Giants game! ;)

shakeysix
09-13-2007, 05:16 AM
are made from weeks like yours. hard to take each other for granted after a week like this. at least for a month or two. --s6

mkcbunny
09-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Glad to hear the surgery went well. What a stressful time. Best wishes on his recovery, and condolences on losing two pets at once. Sad.

BrookieCookie777
09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Jersey! My step brother's a doctor and I've been having some sharp tummy pain. In and out of the er and doc for liketwo months. Nothing so far - praise the Lord! But I asked him about diverticulitis because they mentioned it when I first started hurting and he said it's not all that bad to have especially when they catch it. They give you antibiotics and the surgery is quite uncomplicated. Hope this helps! Prayers and hugs!

BrookieCookie777
09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
FYI - in case they didn't explain it to you completely - it's a pouch in the intestine that forms normally because of constipation or not going to the bathroom when you need to go. Isn't that weird? Our moms were right when she said don't hold it in! =)

Leafy greens help I think - make sure to ask your doc - but I feel like I remember Mike telling me that.

BrookieCookie777
09-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Oh - it's late. I just totally missed the thread that the surgery is already through! Sorry! I'm glad he's doing well! That's the power of good old prayer, hugs, tea and cookies!