Two questions: Use of numbers and and/but

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading another's work in a genre that I have not done a lot of reading in. I think it would be classified as women's fiction. I'm not sure what the rules are concerning use of and/but and in writing out numbers as apposed to just using numerics.

Is it acceptable to start sentences with and or but? I've always been told not to do it, but maybe fiction rules are more slack.

Also, concerning use of numbers, where do you draw the line in writing them out? I've always wrote them out with the exception of numbers over a hundred, but want to be sure what I'm telling someone else.

Thanks for any help.

Keyboard Hound

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I wouldn't write out numbers that are times (3:30 PM) or prices ($4.95).
Where other numbers are concerned, I'd stop writing out numbers over 20. Not only are numbers like "twenty-two" hard on the eyes, they quickly get complicated and once you get over 100, it's impossible to write them out and have readers follow you. Besides, do you know if those numbers need to be loose, hyphenated or strung together?

Yes, starting a setences with "and" or "but" is totally acceptable, especially in fiction, however, you need to know what you're doing. Often it's more logical to make that sentence a clause of the previous one, but in fiction you can have something like:

"And after you finished your breakfast, I want you to clean your room, Charlie."

"But mom!"

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
From my journalism days, CP style (and I think AP style) was to write the number out if it began the sentence, no matter what number. Within the sentence, numbers nine and below were written out -- everything above could use the actual number. Time and units of measurement were never written out.

Not sure how accurate that still is, but I've been using it all along.

Can't help you much on "And" and "But". I'm actually having having that debate with a friend already.

Michelle

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
From my journalism days, CP style (and I think AP style) was to write the number out if it began the sentence, no matter what number. Within the sentence, numbers nine and below were written out -- everything above could use the actual number. Time and units of measurement were never written out.

Not sure how accurate that still is, but I've been using it all along.

That's what I learned, too.

As for but/and, I do it in dialogue, both spoken and internal. Otherwise I try to avoid starting a sentence with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.