• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Invisibility Cloak?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The science is cool. The author of the piece is clearly an idiot, and knows nothing about science, or doesn't know how to write about science.

Which is why he spends more time trying to make the piece about his knowledge of Harry Potter instead.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Timely thread. My current WIP features a camo-cat an almost invisible predator whose fur can both sense and manipulate light. What I missed was the necessity for swapping data collected from one side to display on the other. I don't like the data transfer implications as most of its brain would end up being dedicated to being invisible. I'll think I'll stick with the coat mimicing reflected (vs direct) light. The cat's coat uses information reflected from the fore ground instead of the background. The result is camouflage not invisibility. The coat functions as a crude digital mirror although the crude sensors and display limitations tent to disguise what is actually happening.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
The cloak would be invisible from the inside, too—that is, you would be unable to see anything outside the cloak.

Well, at least they mentioned this point. It always seems to get glossed over/missed entirely when journalists/laymen want to discuss invisibility or cloaking.

Now if we can just get the media to report on the fundamental limitations to AI, I could have far fewer arguments with the oblivious of the world.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I was so disgusted with the fact that he managed to make 90% of this article about Harry Potter that I absorbed almost nothing about the technique. ;)