• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Reveal Magazine

nickyallard

I sent this magazine 2 articles. After sending them I didn't receive a response for a week or two so I wrote asking about the status. The message below is what I received in return. They didn't ask for revisions, just sent this. Honestly, this company is unprofessional and down-right rude. I don't mind criticism, but this is certainly far from it. As far as them accusing me of being rude-I am not. I am professional in all transactions. Maybe because I wasn't conversational they thought that was rude. Also, they were only willing to pay $25/article. I should have known. I advise any writer to stay far away.

Here's the message from Reveal Magazine:

Honestly, you seem demanding, presumptive and hard to work with. I'm hiring
people to work for me. I work for no one. Your tone is not only rude, but it
is very un creative.

I'm not sure if you even read about the magazine based off the articles you
submitted. Your writing reads like a college creative writing assignment
that is just trying to be 1000 words. I'm not sure if based off your lack of
talent, you have ever even opened a magazine and looked at how articles are
put together.

Better luck on your next assignment. I've deleted your articles and thrown
your bills in the trash. Again... if you would have read the assignment
criteria, you would see the first two articles are not billable.

Dave Kuzminski

About Reveal

Do they have a web site where I can read their submission guidelines?

Tish Davidson

no submission guidelines

A google search on "Reveal Magazine" turns up

www.newreveal.com/

The only things on the site are advertisements for a modeling contest and a vocal/dance contest. Absolutely nothing about editorial or submissions.

Other links found in the search take you to a term paper mill.

Makes you wonder...

capitalistwriter

unfriendly, for sure

The response was certainly unfriendly and probably uncalled for, but I have to wonder...

Did you query them first? Had they asked for these articles, or were you just sending them on spec? What did you say in your e-mails to cause them to call you "demanding?"

Frankly, I don't see enough details here to know whether or not Reveal is a market to avoid (though $25 per article isn't enough to interest me anyway).

nickyallard

reveal mag

They don't have a website, yet. It's a start-up mag. I had sent a message asking for the status of my articles, which the editor apparently didn't like. I should have known with a start-up. They did ask for the articles, and I (yuck) sent them on spec.

XThe NavigatorX

Re: reveal mag

wow. Do you have copies of the follow-up you sent them? I'm interested in reading what they're reacting off of.

nickyallard

reveal

I had sent 2 articles for publication. I would like to know the status of those articles. Thank you for your time.

That's what I sent!

Tish Davidson

??

Did you send invoices with your message? From Reveal's response, it sounds like you might have. If so, I can see how they might find that presumptious, although it does not justify their obnoxious reply.

Magenta240

Reveal

I also sent them two articles. They are the worst 'magazine' to work with. I am pissed.

floozer

reveal

their message back to you...besides being unnecessarily dick, was written poorly. soooo there. hope that makes you feel just a little better.

Travis Swanson

Reveal Magazine and www.reveal-magazine.com

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Travis Swanson. I am President/Founder of Reveal Magazine. Yes, we are a start up magazine but we are set to release 350,000 issues in April of 2004. Yes, I did send a reply to the gentleman who sent us his articles. Yes, I should not have answered his emails in the first place. Nothing I told him was ever what he wanted to hear. Yes, my last email was not as professional is it should have been. However, I was provoked by more than what he is saying.

I received several emails from this individual in a short period of time. He went on about how he didn’t appreciate me not getting back to him ASAP and he started making demands upon how and when he wanted to see his work published and the compensation he expected. None the less, the matter is over and in the past as far as I’m concerned.

I will not comment on the structure or writing style of this individual. I wish him the best in future endeavors. In fact, I even have a grammar book from the third grade that I would like to offer him as a truce. I think he may get a lot of use from this book and find it to be a helpful reference.

I would also like to apologize to anyone who has come across this post. I apologize for wasting your time.

Our “test” site is not available to the public as of 12/4/04. However, the site may be viewed at tet.reveal-magazine.com. Please feel free to provide any feedback. We are growing rapidly and establishing worldwide contacts from London to Kansas City. I am always looking for writers who will write about a variety of topics. Some of the topics are found on the site. Other topics have not yet been posted.

For a copy of the media kit please send an email to [email protected].

The insert that you see from the gentleman complaining is not my version. It is an obvious attempt of slander and will be investigated.

Sincerely,

Travis Swanson, President
Reveal Magazine
www.reveal-magazine.com
Email: [email protected]

P.S. Thanks for the free publicity!

Travis Swanson

You should not comment on things you know nothing about. That is a rule to live and die by.

nickyallard

Re:Reveal's response

I think the publisher is mistaken. I never demanded anything from him. Also, I am not a "he", I am a woman. Maybe Travis got a little confused about who he was responding to.

NICOLE---woman

Magenta240

Reveal Magazine- Travis Swanson

I sent two articles two this 'magazine' 9/1/03. I heard back a couple of weeks later and Travis said that the articles looked good. However, I never heard back from him until two days ago when he must have seen my posting here. I guess it took him 3 months and a posting for him to decide that my aritcles weren't good enough for him. He sent me the most unprofessional e-mail that included the statements, F*#$^%$ Bitch! and Fu*&ing Dyke Whore.

What a pleasure it was working with him.

battlechaser

Re: Reveal Magazine- Travis Swanson

It is amazing how people come out of the wood work.
I think if someone feels the need to defend themself on an ezboard, especially a presumably big time magazine publisher, then they probably do have something to hide or were in the wrong.

At any rate, the "Bewares Board" has done its damage to the publication; so much for free advertising.

Travis Swanson

It deeply saddens me...lies...misinformation...

To Whom It May Concern:

I am offended and amazed that these two keep posting blatant lies of slander and misrepresentation. I have been 100% professional from day one. The only thing I am guilty of is not choosing them to write for my up-and-coming publication.

It sincerely saddens me that today’s society of so called “professionals” can go so low to try to hurt a genuinely good start up magazine. Everyone that knows me, or the background of Reveal Magazine, will tell you that I am extremely easy to work for and a great person. I have never called anyone names or purposely tried to keep someone from achieving personal or professional success.

I have decided to comment to this “beware” board because I am not guilty of what these two “writers” are saying. When I typed a Google search for “Reveal Magazine,” the first thing I found was this board. It is my right to defend myself from the lies and misinformation being passed along on this page. Anyone who is truly innocent of accusations would do the same thing.

My telephone number directly to my office is 1-800-700-1930. I would be glad to take up the issue with anyone interested in speaking to me about anything I may have done. (Or wanting to apologize for the lies posted on this board.)

I thought nickyallard was Nick Yallard instead of Nicole Allard. I never bothered to ask her sex, as it was not a deciding factor in consideration. Her personal shots are not welcome and should not be tolerated on this board or otherwise.

I wish well for both of these two people but I do suggest that they think about what means they go to, to try to trash a very informative and reader friendly publication after they were turned down for jobs.

The articles that I read from “Magenta” and “Allard” were not national publication ready and did not fit with the overall feel of Reveal magazine as I described it to them, prior to submitting the work. I would encourage anyone who would like to read these articles to contact myself or the writers in question for a copy and make your own decision.

I apologize also for wasting the time it took you to read this board. I know you have better things to do with your valuable time. Going to test.reveal-magazine.com would be a great place to start. Please do not let two people speak for thousands. Make your own choice as to whether this would be a publication you would like to read more of. We have several huge advertisers coming on board in 2004 and a distribution chain of over 35,000 pre sold issues per month.

Thank you,

Travis Swanson, President
Reveal Magazine

reph

Reveal magazine

Mr. Swanson, if you continue to solicit articles from the writing public, you'll get many that won't meet your criteria for what is publishable. In fact, there will be more articles of that kind than the other kind. Do you plan to respond as rudely to their writers as you did to the two writers who posted here? Wouldn't efficiency be better served by making up an insulting rejection form and printing up a few thousand copies?

Travis Swanson

Interview and Photos

Heather

Reveal: Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk to us. Is there anything we should or shouldn’t talk about?

Heather: I have to admit that I’m a Hollywood entertainment nut.. sad but true. Off-limits? That totally depends on the person I’m having the conversation with, but I’m normally pretty open about things.

R: That’s what I like to hear. It sounds like you’re pretty laid back. How would your family and friends describe you?

H: Sweet, friendly, outgoing, successful, attractive.

R: You are very attractive! Men must approach you all the time. What is the most romantic thing someone has done for you to get your attention?

H: …Um…hmm …I had to think about this answer way TOO LONG! I guess that means I’m not picking the ‘romantic’ guys. What am I thinking??!!

R: We probably have guys reading this right now who are dying to tell you how romantic they could be. Other than totally stalking you, where do you usually meet men?

H: I hate to say this but …in a bar.

R: There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve dated some really nice girls I met at bars. Although… hmm. That’s weird. I can’t remember any of their names.

Tell us how you like to be approached.

H: I think it’s nice when a guy comes up and compliments me on something… like what I’m wearing or my smile. Girls like when guys make them feel special.

R: You’re right. That usually gets a date if it’s done right. How often do you date?

H: I’ve always been in a relationship or dating around in between. I don’t think I’ve ever sat back and enjoyed the single life. I guess that means I like boys A LOT though… so that’s not a bad thing.

R: “Boys” like you too. Trust us! They will be disappointed to hear that have a boyfriend though. Is it ever appropriate to cheat?

H: Appropriate? Probably not, but people have to understand that people change and grow along the way, and relationships go through their ups and downs, and sometimes ‘@#%$ HAPPENS’.

R: Great answer. I guess that means if a guy can manage to take you on an “unofficial date” that amazes you, he might have a .00001 % chance of “@#%$ happening.” Tell us about your most adventurous date.

H: A guy I was dating took me to an Oktoberfest in a small quaint Texas town on a cold, fall day. We spent the day drinking German wine and beer, shopping, and watching the festival activities (in the rain). We ended up getting stuck in the town because his jeep had transmission problems so we hitchhiked to a restaurant, had a nice dinner, grabbed a bottle of wine for the road and then hitchhiked to a nice, little bed and breakfast outside of town. The next morning we rode 2 hours back to his hometown in the tiny back seat of a tow truck. The car mishap ended up turning our date into an awesome, memorable adventure.

R: Oh that’s smooth. His car “broke down” and he was forced to hitchhike with you to a bed and breakfast. @#%$ Happens! That almost sounds like the new reality TV show The Simple Life. Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie are stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to make the best of it. Our staff has really gotten into the show. Do you have a favorite show?

H: Right now it’s The Simple Life, I know its kind of a dumb show, but it makes me laugh and I have to admit I think Paris Hilton is HOT.

R: So do I! I’m a sucker for blondes with spunk and style. Paris, if you’re reading this. Call me… now. So other than being able to make the best of a “bad” situation, what qualities do you look for in a guy?

H: Physically I look for a guy with a nice body, an attractive face, and a pretty smile. I also have this thing with hands… they’ve got to be big, strong and definitely well groomed. I also look for a guy with a great sense of humor, confidence, and being goal-driven is a must.

R: Big hands huh? I’ve heard what they say about big hands. Let’s talk about sex. How long do you feel you should wait before having sex with someone?

H: I think at the minimum you should wait until after the first 2 or 3 dates, but most of all I think you should wait until it feels right.

R: How important is sex to you in general in relationships? H: Hmmm, well… VERY IMPORTANT! It’s one of the coolest things two people can share together. If the sex life is bad I think there are probably problems with affection and communication in the relationship.

R: Yeah. It feels pretty good too. And it’s a great way to handle stress. How well do you handle stress?

H: Pretty well, I love to keep myself preoccupied most of the time.

R: How do you see yourself being “preoccupied” over the next few years?

H: I’d like to spend the next few years modeling and finding something of interest to me where I could be successful starting my own business. Then when I’m more ‘established’ I would like to start a family.

R: That’s a good dream. Maybe someone reading this will be able to help you out. For our final question, I have to ask… What are your secret fantasies?

H: They are secret! But believe me I have plenty of them.

R: Nice.

— Travis Swanson

Travis Swanson

Heather

Reveal: Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk to us. Is there anything we should or shouldn’t talk about?

Heather: I have to admit that I’m a Hollywood entertainment nut.. sad but true. Off-limits? That totally depends on the person I’m having the conversation with, but I’m normally pretty open about things.

R: That’s what I like to hear. It sounds like you’re pretty laid back. How would your family and friends describe you?

H: Sweet, friendly, outgoing, successful, attractive.

R: You are very attractive! Men must approach you all the time. What is the most romantic thing someone has done for you to get your attention?

H: …Um…hmm …I had to think about this answer way TOO LONG! I guess that means I’m not picking the ‘romantic’ guys. What am I thinking??!!

R: We probably have guys reading this right now who are dying to tell you how romantic they could be. Other than totally stalking you, where do you usually meet men?

H: I hate to say this but …in a bar.

R: There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve dated some really nice girls I met at bars. Although… hmm. That’s weird. I can’t remember any of their names.

Tell us how you like to be approached.

H: I think it’s nice when a guy comes up and compliments me on something… like what I’m wearing or my smile. Girls like when guys make them feel special.

R: You’re right. That usually gets a date if it’s done right. How often do you date?

H: I’ve always been in a relationship or dating around in between. I don’t think I’ve ever sat back and enjoyed the single life. I guess that means I like boys A LOT though… so that’s not a bad thing.

R: “Boys” like you too. Trust us! They will be disappointed to hear that have a boyfriend though. Is it ever appropriate to cheat?

H: Appropriate? Probably not, but people have to understand that people change and grow along the way, and relationships go through their ups and downs, and sometimes ‘@#%$ HAPPENS’.

R: Great answer. I guess that means if a guy can manage to take you on an “unofficial date” that amazes you, he might have a .00001 % chance of “@#%$ happening.” Tell us about your most adventurous date.

H: A guy I was dating took me to an Oktoberfest in a small quaint Texas town on a cold, fall day. We spent the day drinking German wine and beer, shopping, and watching the festival activities (in the rain). We ended up getting stuck in the town because his jeep had transmission problems so we hitchhiked to a restaurant, had a nice dinner, grabbed a bottle of wine for the road and then hitchhiked to a nice, little bed and breakfast outside of town. The next morning we rode 2 hours back to his hometown in the tiny back seat of a tow truck. The car mishap ended up turning our date into an awesome, memorable adventure.

R: Oh that’s smooth. His car “broke down” and he was forced to hitchhike with you to a bed and breakfast. @#%$ Happens! That almost sounds like the new reality TV show The Simple Life. Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie are stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to make the best of it. Our staff has really gotten into the show. Do you have a favorite show?

H: Right now it’s The Simple Life, I know its kind of a dumb show, but it makes me laugh and I have to admit I think Paris Hilton is HOT.

R: So do I! I’m a sucker for blondes with spunk and style. Paris, if you’re reading this. Call me… now. So other than being able to make the best of a “bad” situation, what qualities do you look for in a guy?

H: Physically I look for a guy with a nice body, an attractive face, and a pretty smile. I also have this thing with hands… they’ve got to be big, strong and definitely well groomed. I also look for a guy with a great sense of humor, confidence, and being goal-driven is a must.

R: Big hands huh? I’ve heard what they say about big hands. Let’s talk about sex. How long do you feel you should wait before having sex with someone?

H: I think at the minimum you should wait until after the first 2 or 3 dates, but most of all I think you should wait until it feels right.

R: How important is sex to you in general in relationships? H: Hmmm, well… VERY IMPORTANT! It’s one of the coolest things two people can share together. If the sex life is bad I think there are probably problems with affection and communication in the relationship.

R: Yeah. It feels pretty good too. And it’s a great way to handle stress. How well do you handle stress?

H: Pretty well, I love to keep myself preoccupied most of the time.

R: How do you see yourself being “preoccupied” over the next few years?

H: I’d like to spend the next few years modeling and finding something of interest to me where I could be successful starting my own business. Then when I’m more ‘established’ I would like to start a family.

R: That’s a good dream. Maybe someone reading this will be able to help you out. For our final question, I have to ask… What are your secret fantasies?

H: They are secret! But believe me I have plenty of them.

R: Nice.

— Travis Swanson

More interviews to come soon. Please view test.reveal-magazine.com

Hugh Hefner

Get off his case people

I have seen Reveal Magazine and I really like it. I started small a long time ago and now look at us.

Travis, you just keep up the GREAT work.