Do people use pennames to write for different genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
There are 4 different genres I like to write for. Do publishers/agents frown on that?

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Ask your agent/editor if the issue arises, I guess. My mother writes her children's books under one name (married name) and she has a novel coming out under another (maiden name). Her agent and editors approved the idea... They were slightly upset with this choice when one of her children's books hit the New York Times Best Seller list - now they can't market the novel as "by NYT Best Selling author..." ya know? Other than that little irksome marketing matter, it's a good way to keep separate the two very different genres. I dunno about FOUR though... Is that many really necessary?

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
My mistake, it's 3....YA novel, picture books and novels. I have a passion for each.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I see no real need to have a different name for YA and picture books unless your YA is incredibly edgy...in which case I see no need to have a different name for YA and the novels. So you'll "need" two names, at most, in my opinion. Depending how your YA reads (a lot of YA literature reads close to many novels), it would take one of the two names for the novels and picture books.

But again, agents/editors will likely be your best resource - they know marketing far better than I.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
I use the same name on my YA novels and my picture book. However, I am considering writing in a different genre and possibly as a series - so I may well use a pen name to differentiate it from my 'usual' style. However, my agent and editor will advise me on this, I'm sure. It's something that can be decided quite far down the line in pre-production.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
I write in a lot of genres. My adult stories get the full name, mixed with married and maiden. My YA and children's books get just the maiden name to set them apart just enough.

If it is requested I may change my second name but only if asked because there are people who said I couldn't do it and by having my name on a cover says other wise lol. Right now I have one book out there and another one getting ready to come out when the edits are done (hopefully soon lol) which is under the adult name, Amber Rigby Grosjean. I'll be getting a second chance for my YA story which will have just Amber Rigby on that one.

Amber

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Amber! Congratulations on proving them wrong!! :)

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I use two different pen names. One for commercial fiction and one for romance. I chose to do it that way so those who don't want a book with sex in it won't be surprised. I currently have one book out under each pen name.

Renee/Darcy

Status
Not open for further replies.