PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh! Pregnancy Tests

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Ok. Ok. What tootie head invented the pregnancy tests with the little blue lines? I now need to go the optomitrist. My eyes are playing tricks on me . . . "It's negative! . . . wait . . .no . . . it's postive . . . Oh . . . I see . . .just one line is negative . . . OH CRAP! TWO LINES!" lol

Anywho, just sent the hubby out for a "second opinion ept" Starving writers aren't called starving for nothing honey . . . guess I better get started on that tell all best seller. lol

More results in a few . . . ok . . . I know I know. What an image . . . we all know how we test these things. ;)

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Why not just go to your doctor?

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Hey good point . . . (Got the why didn't I think of that stupid moment thing going on) Never had much patience . . . feel like making the doodie heads at EPT more rich and blowing a few benjis. ;) lol

I'm thinking of switching my regular doc so I was just going to make sure it was right before I went ahead and switched to the new doc.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey. That's the first time I've ever used slang. Who knew, you learn something new from Puff Daddy every day. lol

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Just wait a few months, and if a baby comes out of your front bottom, you'll know you were pregnant. :)

JoNightshade
09-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Marginal congratulations. Y'know, depending on one line or two. Or three. Or whatever.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Lol . . . and BrookieCookie says while riding her unicycle "Oh crap, Becky . . . I think the EPT was right all along!" :snoopy:

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Lol . . . Three . . . hmmm . . .wonder what three means . . . Maybe magic 8 ball should come out with a pregnancy test you pee on. . . Three must mean "Ask again later."

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Ok Peaches just had a weird random thought . . . "But Miss Scar-let I don't know nothing about birthing no babies!"

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
"Put a knife under the bed. Momma said it cuts the pain in two!"

Devil Ledbetter
09-02-2007, 02:23 AM
front bottomWTH is up with that today?:Wha:

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Only dirty girls let their husbands put their willy in their front bottom and wiggle it about until it's sick.

If you're expecting a baby you've only got yourself and your filthy spouse to blame. :D

SpookyWriter
09-02-2007, 02:29 AM
"Put a knife under the bed. Momma said it cuts the pain in two!":roll:Another precious moment brought to you by a bobbethead.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 02:47 AM
:roll:

Petroglyph
09-02-2007, 04:02 AM
WTH is up with that today?:Wha:

Seriously! I had never heard that term before today, and I have heard a lot of terms....tends to happen when you get questions about pregnancy from 14 year olds.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Front bottom . . . that one was new to me too! lol

Perks
09-02-2007, 04:39 AM
It's a UK thing. Buncha freaks.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Dang found it . . . second stupid pregnancy test . . . same fuzzy positive line. So confusing! Ok - instructions say results ready in two minutes. Do not read results after ten minutes. K . . . seems simple enough . . . but my tests look negative until about the ninth minute. Greeeeat. As always I'm that oddball at the ping pong table! GAH! Ok - tomorrow I'm going to get one of those digital thingies. PREGNANCY TESTS FOR DUMMIES. And to top the whole cupcake off . . . monday is a holiday and the doc's office is closed.

Yes. Yes. I do feel like complaining today. How could you tell? lol

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 04:57 AM
It's a UK thing. Buncha freaks.

How very dare you!

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:00 AM
I dunno know. I think we are all equally weird. :D Let's all sing Kumbaya real quick.

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 05:01 AM
I've never tinkled on a stick. So there.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Kumbaya me Lord . . .

Evvvverrrrybody now . . .

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Yes . . . peeing on a stick is pretty weird . . . it would have been weirder if I had an audience. ;) Although my husband was standing at the door saying "What color is it?" I was tempted to ask if he meant the stick or the pee. :roll:

Monkey
09-02-2007, 05:15 AM
How far along do you suspect that you may be?

With each of my pregnacies, I was 2 months along when I tested. Both tests showed two dark lines (pregnant) instantly. It didn't take three minuites. It didn't even take three *seconds*.

Those tests measure the amount of pregnancy hormones in your blood. Those hormones start out small, but build rapidly...you should have more than enough to trigger the test if you are a full month along.

On the OTHER hand, some women don't produce as much of the prego hormones and recieve a light second line or no second line at all. It's very rare; those pregnancy tests have a success rate of 99.9%.

Your doc can give you a blood test if you must know for sure this very instant, but he will ask why you didn't just take an EPT. When you tell him that you did, he'll look at you askance. I have experience with this, too, but only when it was a false alarm.

If you are pregnant, you probably already know it. For instance, when I'm prego, I have to get up in the middle of the night to potty...sometimes two or three times a night. I MUST have certain foods (for me, it's always eggrolls. Yum, eggrolls). I am prone to gas, and feel generally uncomfortable. Both times I took a pregnancy test, I told my husband, "I'm going to take this, but if it comes up negative, I know that it's wrong."

I hope that you get whatever answer would make you happiest!

kristie911
09-02-2007, 05:21 AM
If there are two lines at any point (even after 9 minutes) it's almost certainly positive. If you're "just a little bit pregnant" (sorry, I just love that phrase!), say the first day after your period should have started, the line could be very light. Give it a couple more days and try it again, the line will be darker.

Those tests generally don't produce false positives, it's much more likely to get a false negative.

akiwiguy
09-02-2007, 05:21 AM
My experience of those - I mean not nine personally since I don't have a front bottom, rather the middle extra leggy bit - but they are very distinctive when positive, leaving no doubt.

Our second child we were driving along and my wife said "Ewww, I've got a horrible metal taste in my mouth." I knew immediately what she hadn't quite twigged to yet, since I'd heard that exact comment a year and a half earlier.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks Monkey! If I am pregnant it would only be very soon - I'm about 10 days past my cycle ( too much info I know! ) Anywho - I've just been nauseous - I thought at first it was from this gastric stuff I've had going on - but my last period was July 16. Weird huh?

Thanks again for the info! At first I thought - wow - I hope it's negative . . . but the bow that I've got the thought in my mind . . . I sort of hope it's postive . . I'm always the indecisive little willy nilly! =)

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:27 AM
:Hug2:Thanks Kristie. That's what I was thinking but I couldn't remember how dark the lines were when we first found out about our other children. It's funny how you forget stuff like that. I've been feeling just blah. We have three little ones and I'm usually a pretty good judge of this stuff . . guess my radar is off a bit!

Thanks for the advice. I will retest again in a few days and see if the line gets darker.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks Kiwi. Daddy intution is so cool. My husband used to get morning sickness when I was pregnant with our other kids. It should be in marriage vows . . . To love, to cherish, to never leave to vomit alone. lol =)

Christine N.
09-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Go and find the ones that say "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant" already!

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 05:54 AM
I agree Christine . . . It just so happens though that we live in the backwoods . . . I mean you sneeze and you miss our town. lol Piggly Wiggly is closed . . . lol . . . have to wait til tomorrow! =)

The_Grand_Duchess
09-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Soooo, baby or not here people?

Front bottom. That's so. . . special.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Second test did the same darned thing. Going to get a digital test tomorrow. Those darned little pee and read sticks are driving me insane! At least the digitial ones are clear and simple. Will let everyone know what the test says tomorrow! =)

September skies
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Just wait a few months, and if a baby comes out of your front bottom, you'll know you were pregnant. :)

That is so true!
When I was working at the emergency room one day (this is a true story) - a 14 year old heavy girl came in with horrible abdominal pain. She thought she was constipated and couldn't go but it hurt so horrible, her mother brought her in thinking she was having an appendix attack. Well - yep....she was pregnant and having a baby! And they really had Nooooo idea. The girl said she had only had a couple of light periods and then never had them again and being so young, she never imagined being pregnant.... and because she was kind of heavy to start with, no one realized she had added more weight and was with child
talk about shock! No 9 months to prepare mentally. The baby was there and he was coming out - ready or not, here he comes..... true story.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Oh my goodness! I've seen lifetime movies like that but didn't know it could really happen. Bless her heart! I'll bet they were both in utter shock! Wow.

aruna
09-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I had a friend who in her 20's had been trying for years to have a baby, without success. She was about 42 when her periods stopped and she was afraid she had cancer or something. Guess what it was....!

Nakhlasmoke
09-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, I'm betting you're pregnant...lol. This sounds exactly like what happened to me. :P

Congrats and all that stuff.

threedogpeople
09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey, peeing on the stick is better than what they used to do....killing bunnies.

Nakhlasmoke
09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey, peeing on the stick is better than what they used to do....killing bunnies.

Wasn't it also frogs for a while - not frogs...um...platannas?

Those things scare me.

dclary
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok. Ok. What tootie head invented the pregnancy tests with the little blue lines? I now need to go the optomitrist. My eyes are playing tricks on me . . . "It's negative! . . . wait . . .no . . . it's postive . . . Oh . . . I see . . .just one line is negative . . . OH CRAP! TWO LINES!" lol

Anywho, just sent the hubby out for a "second opinion ept" Starving writers aren't called starving for nothing honey . . . guess I better get started on that tell all best seller. lol

More results in a few . . . ok . . . I know I know. What an image . . . we all know how we test these things. ;)

Are you kidding?

My wife and I bought several pregnancy tests in our day. We got tired of paying for the name-brand ones and found out that the local Dollar Tree sold a $1 pregnancy test kit.

ALL of them work, and all of them are easy to read/understand.

If you're having problems with things like "Is 1 the same as 2" then, yeah, like scarlet said. Go see a doctor.

dclary
09-02-2007, 06:17 PM
WTH is up with that today?:Wha:

LOLOLOL. Scarlett saw it over in writing novels. I did too. Woman was trying to write an "electrically augmented" masturbation scene, and was unable to use anything more carnal than "front bottom" for the insertion point.

Made me laugh out loud. Clearly, it had an impact on Scarlet, too.

LOL

kristie911
09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I'd never seen the term "front bottom" before. Odd choice of words, but hey, you all knew what she was talking about! :roll:

The_Grand_Duchess
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
LOLOLOL. Scarlett saw it over in writing novels. I did too. Woman was trying to write an "electrically augmented" masturbation scene, and was unable to use anything more carnal than "front bottom" for the insertion point.

LOL

I need a link that. I need to read that post.

And where the hell is Brookie at? She said she would update us today! I'm on the edge of my seat here!

dclary
09-02-2007, 07:22 PM
I need a link that. I need to read that post.

And where the hell is Brookie at? She said she would update us today! I'm on the edge of my seat here!

I aim to please :D

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75739

Oh, and I agree with the above peeps. She's probably preggers. ANY presence of the chemical that sets off the second line is a positive. Even if its in low amounts.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok - called the Ob this morning and he said I have to wait three more days to test again so we can get a solid answer. I know right . . . where's the noose. He said it was just so that the hcg levels would be rising and be more easily readable. The doc isn't open on MOnday or Tuesday due to the holiday. I wanted to bad to say "Yea? Well I"m a writer buddy and I have to wait on enough crap. My own, well possible child, should be more quick to reply!" lol Anywho - I promise to keep everyone on the up and up.

Aruna - that is uncanny about the 42 year old woman. Wow. Also kinda cool though!!

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 11:20 PM

LOL

What? It was mentioned somewhere else?

Pure coincidence. It's just a phrase that made me giggle. So someone else used that phrase too? Must go search it out.

And there was me thinking it was one of my own funny Scottishisms.

scarletpeaches
09-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Oh, found it. That thread?! I avoided it 'cause sentence was spelled wrong. The things you miss out on, eh? There must be something in the water, all these front bottoms flying around...

BrookieCookie777
09-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Aloha, Scarlet and the rest of the gang! No! You changed your picture back you modest mouse! ;) That really was a great photo. I'll check out that thread later - I"m sure it will make me laugh! =)

Anywho - looks like the test was falsely postive. All the nausea was probably from all the gastric stuff I've had going on for the last two months. Blah. The doc also said it could have been a miscarriage. He said lots of woman have them and don't even know - so the little faint line could have just been because I took one when most woman don't. Most woman just think it is a period.

We weren't ready for a new baby right now . . .but perhaps later on when the little ones grow a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help and info . . .and funny, funny posts! Made my whole weekend brighter!

What would I do without you guys?!

thethinker42
09-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Why not just go to your doctor?

I don't know about the OP, but I'd go bankrupt if I went to the doctor every time I needed a pregnancy test. LOL

Home Pregnancy Test:
$10
10 minutes
Negatives are fairly accurate, positives are VERY accurate

Doctor's office:
$5-$100 depending on your doctor, insurance, and co-pay
30-90 minutes depending on how backed up they are that day (not including getting to and from the doc's office)
They use the EXACT same tests that we buy in the grocery store.

To the OP: Use the ones that show a plus or minus sign, or one of the digital ones. MUCH easier to read.

Joe270
09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I have to get up in the middle of the night to potty...sometimes two or three times a night. I MUST have certain foods (for me, it's always eggrolls. Yum, eggrolls). I am prone to gas, and feel generally uncomfortable.

Damn it, I'm pregnant.

scarletpeaches
09-04-2007, 05:22 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/doriangrayspictures/Familyplanning.jpg

Monkey
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Love that sign, ScarletPeaches!

Works great!

kristie911
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/doriangrayspictures/Familyplanning.jpg

:roll: