Think Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiR

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if anyone is able to help but here goes.

I am currently doing a home-study course and my current assignment is to write a think piece about social preoccupations and how they have changed from twenty to thirty years ago.

My only problem... what the heck is a think piece??

I have searched the internet but I do not seem to be able to find a good example. All definitions I find are pretty vague as well.

Can anyone help???

NikkiR

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing...essay?

Bleh, the term makes me think of my son's math class last year when they were using an experimental textbook. Instead of writing equations, they wrote 'number sentences'. Wha? And word problems were 'number stories'. TG that's over.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
"Think piece?" I'd hand in a slip of paper that said, "I thought about this topic for 1 hour."

:roll:I would have gotten a lot more sleep in college if I'd done that.

NikkiR: I always understood it to be an essay where you're expected to give your opinion on a topic, backed up with facts, as opposed to just an essay presenting facts. But it's been way longer than I want to think about since I was in a classroom, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
A think piece is an essay with, hopefully, some original observations that make the reader think. I know this only because I was told some of my works were think pieces when I worked as a newsman, and had to write an op/ed once a week.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
I'd say probably a 1-2 page essay, d.b. spaced, detailing your thoughts on the subject at hand. You may or may not have to come to a solid conclusion. (this depends on the teacher/prof)

Status
Not open for further replies.