killing me with praise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
Okay, I'm getting spooked by my glowing rejections...here's one...by the way they only got 50 pages (three months ago)...

I am pleased that we requested this material. I read it both with interest and admiration. However, in the end we are unable to offer you representation. The fiction market has been so difficult of late that I must feel a real commitment to any novel I take on. While I enjoyed reading __________ and found it to be the work of a talented writer, it didn’t elicit the passionate response that an agent should feel for any book they represent. I wish you the best of luck and trust you will find the committed representation every writer deserves.

I know there's a lot of form reject language in it...but I've gotten several along these lines...Is fiction (I'd call it accessible literary fiction) REALLY that hard to sell????
Or are they just lazy, spoiled by the ease of selling high concept nonfiction, or bullshitting me?

Clearly I'm fishing for sympathy here from my fellow "praised to death" writers....

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Actually, Bealeblast, all of that letter is form. I've gotten every one of those sentences from agents--not all in the same reject, but I've received those exact words before.

[hands chocolate]

Keep sending it out! If they're requestion partials, then you're doing something right. Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Form

When you find any variation of the words The fiction market has been so difficult of late that I must feel a real commitment to any novel I take on you can be safe to assume it's a form. Agents have been using this line for thirty or more years. It's not your fault we didn't take on the novel, it's the market's fault. The market is down.

No matter how high the market gets, agents still say the market is too tough for a given novel in their form rejections.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I second callalily61, have some chocolate and send some more manuscripts/queries out! Good luck!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
You know, whenever I see the word "passionate" in a rejection, I imagine the agent taking a manuscript for long walks on the beach, having candlelit dinners, sharing tender kisses in the moonlight and finally ecstatically humping the manuscript, if you'll forgive my crudity.

It helps the sting of rejection. A little.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
You know, whenever I see the word "passionate" in a rejection, I imagine the agent taking a manuscript for long walks on the beach, having candlelit dinners, sharing tender kisses in the moonlight and finally ecstatically humping the manuscript, if you'll forgive my crudity.

It helps the sting of rejection. A little.

I print my manuscript on pages with rounded edges. Increases pleasurable humpability.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I print my manuscript on pages with rounded edges. Increases pleasurable humpability.

We’re pleased that we requested this material. We fingered the curvaceous edges, the hazy white humps of paper with interest and admiration. We have to say that we placed your material on the floor . . . and, well . . . we admit to doing something we’re not proud of.

Oh...ah...I now see that queen of swords had the same idea. How perverse of her!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.