Princess Di - Ten Years Ago...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
... today, a Sunday morning, I was having breakfast when I heard the news. I was as shocked as if it were a family member, even though I was not a great fan of hers.
How far has the Royal Family come since then?

One thing I know: I adore Prince William.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
On a radio station the other morning they were discussing "Where were you when you heard of her death", along the lines of the idea that everyone knew where they were when hearing of JFK's assasination. And even though I have never been very interested in royal affairs, I do know exactly where I was. Mid-afternoon on a Sunday, driving back from a day-trip down to the Kapiti Coast and we stopped at Foxton McDonalds. A woman told us as we got out of the car, and for the rest of the trip home we tuned in to radio news reports confirming it.

There are very few events I have that kind of recall of what I was doing at the time... the first space shuttle disaster is for some reason another.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Mid-afternoon on a Sunday, driving back from a day-trip down to the Kapiti Coast and we stopped at Foxton McDonalds. A woman told us as we got out of the car, and for the rest of the trip home we tuned in to radio news reports confirming it.

LOL I was WORKING at MCDonald's that day, in Cedar Falls, Iowa. We had it on in the breakroom. Everyone was shocked. I think there was a ten minute wait on fries because someone accidentally left the fryer to watch the news. (not me)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I was in Germany, and for the first time ever I watched BBC World News, in English, all day long. I'll never forget that waving Union Jack, and the music that went with it, every 15 minutes.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I got the day off work for her funeral. It was bloody brilliant.

I know that sounds callous but frankly, I found the whole thing embarrassing. I'm not saying people shouldn't have grieved publicly but the country went WAY overboard. And ten years later, she's still in the news as much as she ever was.

People should let her go.

Katol

Yeh, right!
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the film "The Queen" the other week - all about the days after her death and what the Queen did and didn't do. It's really good.

Cath

Reaction score
Couldn't give a monkeys then and I care even less now.

What disgusts me about this whole media circus is that Mother Teresa died a week later and we never hear anything of her - a woman who actually did some good, without courting publicity for her oh-so-secret midnight hospital visits, where she watched operations with her fringe poking out of her headscarf and full makeup on and oh look, plenty of press there to photograph her.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score

What disgusts me about this whole media circus is that Mother Teresa died a week later and we never hear anything of her - a woman who actually did some good, without courting publicity for her oh-so-secret midnight hospital visits, where she watched operations with her fringe poking out of her headscarf and full makeup on and oh look, plenty of press there to photograph her.

You're just angry because you wanted Charles all to yourself.

He's such a hottie! :e2faint:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I remember my husband waking me up to tell me. We'd heard the night before that she'd been in an accident, but figured the media was just overplaying it. I was a kid when she got married and my best friend and I got up early to watch the wedding - fast forward almost 20 years and, I have to admit, I did get up to watch the funeral.

William's cute, no doubt - but I think Harry's adorable. Dunno why.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

I think Mother Teresa planned it that way - it would have been typical!;)
There were many things I disliked about Diana (and yes I do much prefer Mother T.'s style) but I do find her life interesting; not as a royal watcher but as a tragedy of a poor little girl who wanted love, didn't get it, and tried everything she could to get it.
I do believe she was sincere in her charity work, but her attention-seeking problem got in the way.

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I was in England at the time, my bf went up the road to go buys some eggs and bread, and he came back and said "Princess Di is dead in a car crash..."

I was waiting a long time for the punchline.

*sigh*

Then we went to do our laundry and these builders fixing a roof had their transistor on full blast, so that all we heard while at the laundromat was mournful music and solemn announcements.

Later I got stopped in the street by a reporter asking me how I felt. Ironic, considering I'm not British and I was wearing a Manic Street Preachers top at the time.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I a terrible person to have no idea where I was or what I was doing on the momentous day the most photogenic royal met her end? I suppose I might be able to figure it out, but it's not marked in my memory in any way.

Maryn, terrible person

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I was breastfeeding my brand new baby son, my first born. I couldn't believe it. The type of information that takes a day or two to sink in. Not like when George Burns died. That was a bit more expected.

Princess Diana was a tragically flawed woman. I pitied her for the waste.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
There are a few people I remember where I was when I heard they had died:

JFK: hairwashing day at boarding school in England; we all had our hair in suds!

John Lennon: I was staying with an American diplomatic couple in Freiburg, Germany. The woman came into the kitchen and said "Someone shot John Lennon and he's dead!" A part of my past died too...

President Saddat of Egypt. I was walking through Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass, and the Breaking News came over that moving screen they have. Not that I was so close to him, but a friend of mine knew and admired him.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score

*Slaps palms with Peaches*.

It's ridiculous going overboard like that for someone you don't even know. I'm afraid I was disgusted with the British public. And the irony was that it was its rapacious, ridiculous lust for reading about every sneeze she gave, and having the photos to go with it, that led to her death, and there 'they' all were, blaming Charles, the Press, the French, anybody. If the public didn't push up sales of every paper or mag with her photo on it, the Press wouldn't have chased her down for those photos.

I can't say I totally didn't care - hey, it was drama, and I loves me some drama - but on a personal level? No.

Reaction score
I think the conspiracy theorists are borderline unhinged. They just don't want to accept she was mortal and hey, guess what? You don't wear your seatbelt, you die. Princess or no.

(She wasn't a princess at the time of her death, so please...call her Diana, Princess of Wales, not 'Princess Di').

She wasn't a saint, she wasn't a fairytale princess. She was mortal, human, imperfect and stupid enough to allow her driver to break the speed limit while refusing to wear a seatbelt.

I've heard people blame her bodyguard for not doing his job properly. Well he wore his belt and - oh look! - he was the only one to survive.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
It amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough not to wear a seat-belt in those circumstances. Whatever possessed those silly people?

But I admit to wishing she'd lived if she HAD been planning to marry Dodi and have kids by him. Would have done the Royals and the country a power of good to have a few non-whites in the mix, even if only half-sibs to the heir to the throne.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you get to that level of fame, sometimes you think you're immortal.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting now. It just gets me that people like her earn plaudits for being born into a life of privilege and people like Mother Teresa get little recognition in comparison.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I think the conspiracy theorists are borderline unhinged. They just don't want to accept she was mortal and hey, guess what? You don't wear your seatbelt, you die. Princess or no.

This bemused me a great deal also... the notion that she should have been immortal. Drunk driver + high speed + concrete pillar + no seatbelt = dead. We are all dust at the end of the day, no matter who we are.

Reaction score
I'm not entirely certain Henri Paul was drunk to be honest. He was walking upright and showing no signs of drunkenness minutes before the crash and I doubt anyone would have got in a car with him if he'd been noticeably drunk. With the level of alcohol they're saying he had in his blood, he would have been all but paralytic. But the bottom line is, no seatbelt? On your own head be it.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not entirely certain Henri Paul was drunk to be honest. He was walking upright and showing no signs of drunkenness minutes before the crash and I doubt anyone would have got in a car with him if he'd been noticeably drunk. With the level of alcohol they're saying he had in his blood, he would have been all but paralytic. But the bottom line is, no seatbelt? On your own head be it.

NEWS FLASH!

He's a Brit. The time of death was approximately 22:00 hrs. Everyone knows a Brit will fall and crash at 22:01 when the pubs close. He's just following tradition.

Oh, and I've drank a dozen pints in London with my mates and by 19:00 hrs was never so pissed in my life. Then we sober up and hit the clubs until morning.

ETA:

Question: The leker joke in Holland was "How can you tell the difference between a Brit and the rest of the bar?"

Answer: The Brit is the one falling off the bar stool at 22:00 hrs.

HHAHHAAHHH....I still loves that joke.

Last edited:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I did hear that Henri Paul had traces of Prozac in his blood, and as a person who has dabbled in Prozac (psss wanna buy some drugs? lol) I can tell you that any alcohol is too much when taking stuff like that.

However, I too am baffled over the adoration of Diana. In my view, she was a manipulative, selfish woman who refused to see reality. Was there anyone who didn't know about Camilla? She no doubt was a great mother, I will never quibble with that. But I dont understand why people cannot see how manipulative she really was.

The cover of Times Magazine last week was "Why Does Diana Matter" and i wonder if she really did. (peaches, look how i slipped that in ;) yes, she brought attention to things like landmines but I wonder how much good she really did. She had over 200 charities that she contributed time to and I think if she'd focussed on one, she really could have made a vast difference, instead of dabbling in that many. If she'd really seriously pushed for the destruction of landmines something might have been done, instead of the few photo ops that she did do. But that's just my opinion.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I

She wasn't a saint, she wasn't a fairytale princess. She was mortal, human, imperfect and stupid enough to allow her driver to break the speed limit while refusing to wear a seatbelt.
Absolutely true.

However, I too am baffled over the adoration of Diana. In my view, she was a manipulative, selfish woman who refused to see reality. Was there anyone who didn't know about Camilla? She no doubt was a great mother, I will never quibble with that. But I dont understand why people cannot see how manipulative she really was.

I understand it absolutely, just as I agree that Di was manipulative etc.

I am not someone who is the least interested in celebrities, no matter how famous or good looking they are. I have no idea what Joachim Phoenix looks like and I don't even care; these people bore me to tears.

But the story of Di interests me from the psychological point of view. When I look at the old movies of her, before she got married, I just love her. What a simple, innocent girl she was. Then thrown into this huge royal drama; how she reacted, what became of her; it's a tale of immense drama, and just watching the change in her is fascinating. It's human nature right there on display.

Yes, it spoiled her. But heavens almighty, which normal person would NOT be spoiled? We live in a celebrity culture, and Diana was catapulted to the front of it all. We all, every one of us (with maybe five exceptions, worldwide) like to be admired and emulated. And very few of us could resist letting it go to our heads. I imagine that millions of beautiful women, thrown into Diana's situation, would have turned into absolute bitches. That's human nature. Beautiful women in the limelight do tend to be bitches.

I never met Diana but I do know that people she personally met felt she cared, and loved them. That is the important thing; how true it was, is irrelevant. Thus the universal adulation. There just are not enough loving people around.

People are fickle; they need someone to look up to, someone to set an example. Diana DID draw attention to people in distress, and that is only a good thing. How many celebrities don't do that?

During the whole Charles-and-Diana war of roses I was more on Charles' side - people seem to hate him, but I always liked and admired him and if I had to spend a week with one of them, it would be Charles - I find him far more interesting. I also like Camilla, and was never against her as his wife. I just think he should have married her right from the start, instead of making the detour around Diana.

But I do think, if one dislikes celebrity culture, one should be consistent in it, and not pick and choose! They are mostly all, every one of them, in love with themselves and spoiled beyond redemption. Diana was not unique in her self-absorption. We all, are more or less, and media celebrities more than others. I think Diana did better than most, all things considered.

Reaction score
The thing is, regarding her photogenic quality, I think that was only in comparison to the rest of the royal family, who, let's face it, are borderline mooses. There was one photo of her taken with her hair slicked back and it made her nose look huge. I see far prettier women all the time. I know that sounds bitchy, but it's one of my few posts that isn't intended that way!

No, I think she was only beautiful because of that stupid doe-eyed looking up through her eyelashes, flirting-with-other-women's-husbands look she perfected, and in comparison to the rest of the royals who are so inbred they all look like horses.