• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

I Am My Own Twin

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Did anyone see the show I Am My Own Twin on the Discovery Channel? It was about "a person composed of two genetically distinct types of cells." Apparently, sometimes two eggs in the womb merge into one, making a person, well its own twin. The person has two different types of DNA.
A woman who had it almost got her kids taken away from her because a DNA test couldn't prove that they were hers since that identifying DNA was "hiding" in only certain body parts.
I may have gotten some of the facts confused. Here is a link:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8905

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think they used this on an episode of House. I didn't watch the show, but I was aware of the phenomenon. I believe they call it being a chimera.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that show a while back. Fascinating. I loved it when the docs were cracking up, saying the kids were the perfect offspring of their father, and their mother's brother.

If you really digged that, look up 'fetus in fetu'. Now that's some freaky stuff.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
I saw that show a while back. Fascinating. I loved it when the docs were cracking up, saying the kids were the perfect offspring of their father, and their mother's brother.

If you really digged that, look up 'fetus in fetu'. Now that's some freaky stuff.

Yah, I loved it when they started laughing while they explained. That was good TV.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
"As he cut deeper into Bhagat's stomach, gallons of fluid spilled out -- and then something extraordinary happened.

"To my surprise and horror, I could shake hands with somebody inside," he said. "It was a bit shocking for me.""-
story

EKKKKK! Okay, yes, 'fetus in fetu' is some freaky sh*t!

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
CSI had an episode a few years ago featuring a chimera as well. He was a rapist, but the DNA said he was the brother of the rapist. Naturally, it turned out he had bits of a brother absorbed in the fetal development.

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
CSI had an episode a few years ago featuring a chimera as well. He was a rapist, but the DNA said he was the brother of the rapist. Naturally, it turned out he had bits of a brother absorbed in the fetal development.

Yep, saw that, too. Never will I forget Grisson gawping in astonishment.