PDA

View Full Version : Business Card Questions

Lavinia
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I am thrilled to have won the contest...see below. As part of the winner's package, a graphic artist will design my business cards.

I have been trying to figure out what to put on them and have a few questions.

Should I include;

My name? (just kidding)
Mailing Address?
Phone number?
Cell phone number?
email?
blog (writing related)
myspace (book related)

Also, because of the subject of my book, my current cards which, by the way are very unprofessional looking (created by me), have my slogan, "Write Now-Because it's later than you think." And they have a little sand-timer logo. This is my attempt at branding myself.

While that is relevant now, it may not be in the future.

I am a book writer and also a freelance writer. Should I include that in any way? Which one, or both? And how would I state it?

Twice in the last week, I needed a business card. One was for an interview I set up with the owner of a very nice resteraunt. My card, with, "Write Now..." just seemed cheesy in that situation.

Does anyone ever have more than one type of card?

Any help is very much appreciated as I have GOT to make a decision on this and soon!

Thanks,

Karen

kimmer
08-31-2007, 06:31 AM
Yes. I have two business cards: one for my book on scholarships and one for my consulting business. Actually, I have one more that I printed when our family moved. Some people think it's a hassle to have two cards but my book and my business are distinct brands. On both, the top and bottom are the same with my name, address, phone and email. The middle is distinct for each and on the book one, I added my website. Hope that helps.

kimmer
www.scholarshipstreet.com

SHBueche
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Karen, Congratulations! I think for the business card, I would go with Freelance Writer and save the book author for another card. I like the phrase and logo you came up. Also, like your co-worker, or forget how you described it. I have a photo of my, ahem, co-workers on my website.

Lavinia
09-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks. So glad you two responded. That gives me a place to start.

Karen

Ruth Barringham
09-06-2007, 04:20 AM
Yes, I agree with the 2 seperate hats (Freelance Writer and Author) needs 2 seperate cards because you'll be giving them out to 2 totally different audiences. You'll need a freelance writing business card to sell your writing services and an author business card to sell your books. And if at all you do need to give both cards to the same people, they can always pass one on and spread your name. I like the logo and quote on your card. A great idea. I always think plays-on-words are good. There's a company in the UK that make shoes out of recycled material and their company is called Deja Shoe which I always think is funny and memorable.

jannawrites
09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I may be too late with this response... it's been a week since you posted the thread...

I'm against the norm here, but I think one card would suffice. You could have your name and most-likely-to-be-reached-here phone number. I LOVE your 'Write now...' quote. And I don't see anything wrong with following your name with the title freelance writer/novelist. It'd show whomever you're passing your card to how talented and versatile you are.

Anyway... a newbie's two cents...

:)

Lavinia
09-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks Ruby and Janna! Great thoughts. I'm still thinking about it.

Karen