My top 11 best-written video game favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
So, instead of writing my short story that I've been planning on finishing for what seems like aeons, I procrastinated by writing this. Lo and behold, "My top 11 best-written video game favourites." :)

1) Photopia by Adam Cadre.

A relatively unknown freeware Interactive Fiction game (that is, no graphics, for you trigger-happy action lovers) that tells a short, but very emotionally engaging story. One of, if not the saddest and beautiful works I've ever read, video games medium or otherwise. You can download it for free from the IF section of Adam Cadre's site (scroll down a bit).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopia

2) Planescape: Torment by Black Isle Studios.

Now, I was never much into fantasy, but this game is a like a book in its own right. Or a series of books. Every character is well-defined, the story is interesting, and more importantly, UNIQUE, and you build a great attachment to your character as you play along. You play as the Nameless One, an immortal man with no memory of his past - every "death" makes you lose a part of your former self. You've lived a thousand lives over a countless number of years, you were sometimes evil, good, crazy, and sometimes genius. But you've only other peoples (and otherwise) memories and a body full of tattoos to recall of all the things you've done. You wake up on a stone slab in a mortuary with a floating talking skull sidekick by your side, again, no memories of who you are, but with a feeling that something important is missing. PLAY THIS GAME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

3) The Longest Journey by Funcom.

A completely stunning adventure game, both visually and story-wise. The story starts in a cyberpunk-like future, where you play a young art student. You later find out that you have a strange ability to "shift" between worlds - and find yourself in fantasy realm, magic critters, dragons, and all. The game's hard to describe - it must be experienced. If you're a fan of adventure games, or even sci-fi or fantasy stories, or even just emotionally involving stories at all, be sure you play this game. You won't be disappointed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Journey

4) Syberia by Microids.

Designed by an uber-talented Belgian chap Benoît Sokal, this, like The Longest Journey, is one of the most touching adventure games I've ever played. And just like The Longest Journey, it features a female protagonist and 3D graphics on static backgrounds, making for quite atmospheric visuals. You are a lawyer named Kate Walker who's on a business trip to some remote location in Europe to finalize the take-over of a toy factory. As the story unfolds, you travel across the world, encounter strange characters in strange locations (eg, Komkolzgrad, a communist-esque mining town where you meet a soprano singer and her one "fan" bent on kidnapping her), and then end questioning your choice in life and career and choose to follow someone's dream instead. Which coincidentally becomes your dream as well. At least that's how I got it. :) Beautiful, beautiful story overall. Be sure to check the game out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia

5) Frederick Pohl's Gateway 2: Homeworld by Legend Entertainment.

Another Interactive Fiction game, this one has a graphic interface. You "see" what's directly in front of you depicted as a static bitmap image in the top right of your screen. The game's (obviously) a sequel to Frederick Pohl's Gateway. You, as the MC, investigate a strange alien artefact that suddenly appeared in Pluto's orbit. I've never read anything Frederick Pohl, but the game was insanely immersing and interesting to play. It's also available for free download as abandonware from the Home of the Underdogs site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(computer_game)

6) Day of the Tentacle by LucasArts.

Back in the day, LucasArts used to make funny and clever adventure games (as, like Yahtzee said, "opposed to milking the Star Wars cow until its udders turned to charcoal-black stalactites"). The game is a sequel to Maniac Mansion, an older LucasArts adventure game. You play a family of misfits (although they might as well be roommates, that part of the plot is not particularly defined) adventuring through time: one stays in the present, one travels back to the past, and one to the future, all to save the world from the menace of a mutant purple tentacle (yes, you read that right) bent on conquering the world. And you get to freeze a hamster in a icebox for a couple hundred years over the course of the game. What's not to love?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Tentacle

7) Sam & Max Hit the Road by LucasArts.

Another famous LucasArts adventure game. You play a strange anthropomorphic detective duo of a homicidal rabbit and a fedora-wearing dog.

Max: Sam, either termites are burrowing through my skull, or one of us is ticking.
Sam: Oops, oh yeah.
[pulls out the scientist's head, which is a bomb]
Max, where should I put this so it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?
Max: Out the window, Sam. There's nothing but strangers out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_&_Max_Hit_the_Road

8) Fallout by Black Isle Studios.

An awesomely detailed and believable post-apocalyptic world, realistic characters, and black humour make this one of my favourite games of all time. You're a resident of Vault 13 - one of many underground bunkers sheltering WWIII war survivors for many, many years. You were born in the Vault and never saw the light of day. But one day, the water purification system breaks, and you're chosen as the most able resident to venture into the unknown... The game's setting isn't much as of post-apoc future, as "what we imagined future to be like in the 50's" set against humanity emerging from the devastation of nuclear war. Absolutely a must-play for any self-respecting RPG gamer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(computer_game)

9) System Shock 2 by Looking Glass Studios.

Because I haven't played Bioshock yet.

10) Deus Ex by Ion Storms Inc.

If I were to choose a literary-related label for this game, I'd call it a "cyberpunk techno-thriller." Writing alone doesn't make this game, but it's certainly more than up to standard. Filled with every conspiracy you can possibly imagine, the game sets you, a bio-enchanced UNATCO (read: NATO) agent, to fight terrorism over the globe. Or join it if you feel so inclined. And is it really terrorism after all? The plot would surely make for an interesting novel if one ever came out, but its perfect in its game form as is. You've probably heard of this game before - it's often considered the best FPS-RPG hybrid ever produced, and rightfully so. If you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to check the game out. I don't recommend the sequel (Invisible War), however. It's, in my humble opinion, complete crap compared to the original. Also, did I mention that this game's INSANELY awesome? No? Well, this game's INSANELY awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex

11) Duke Nukem 3D by 3D Realms.

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D

Last edited:

citizen_erased

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I don't know if i'm misunderstanding the topic here, but if we are talking about great video game storylines...Final fantasty 7 is the best game ever! For everything! 8 is amazing as well.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
I don't mean just storylines, I mean writing in general. I found FF7 pretty boring, TBH. Never really thought the dialogue was any good, either. But then, it was translated from Japanese, so who knows. I quit playing after I got to that field where you have to catch the giant chickens to get over the swamp. But then, I never was a big fan of console RPGs. However, I know that I'm more of an exception - most people who played it loved it to death.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Chocobos, not chickens. ;)

I admit to being a huge video game fan, RPGs being my favorite. I do admit that VII was not nearly as good as the hype. I'm actually rather irritated that Square spends so much time working on the VII Compilation but at the same time I'm relieved that it's not my favorite they're messing with.

Can't say I can comment on any of the games you've mentioned, though. I've never played any of them. From the looks of it those are mostly computer games, which is why. I'm mainly a console gamer and I only own a handful of woefully outdated computer games.

~DragonHeart~

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I cried when Zelda sent Link back to childhood. I even wrote a fanfic where they met again (it was lame.)

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
I never owned a console since SNES, and the only game I remember playing on it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I missed on a lot of classics. I am planning to get a 360 at one point, though: Gears of War, Bioshock, Oblivion (my PC would EXPLODE before it runs it), and the upcoming Fallout 3 make it more than worth it.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Planescape: Torment, and would add the Baldur's Gate saga to the list.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played a well-written video game. That's one reason I stopped playing them years ago: I couldn't stand the tin-eared, ham-fisted dialogue that spewed out of those avatars' beautifully rendered mouths.

One reason for this, clearly, is that video games by nature are aimed at teenagers. As are comic books. Picked up a comic book lately? Some of the crudest, most absurd writing known to man.

I keep waiting for the video game that grown-ups can enjoy. I've been waiting for over a decade.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
Honourable mentions (AKA awesome well-written games I totally forgot I played): Baldur's Gate 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, No One Lives Forever 2 (even though it's an FPS), and Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail! :D

Will Lavender said:
One reason for this, clearly, is that video games by nature are aimed at teenagers.

Actually, most surveys say an average video gamer is 25-29 years old.

Anyway, did you play any of the games on my list? If you haven't, you def. should (xcept maybe num. 11, heh). At least one out of the first 4. Maybe they'll show you that there is still hope. However I gotta admit, most of them aren't that fresh. If you'll tell me that Planescape: Torment is a "teen game" then I will get a bunch of oranges, put them in a tubesock, and then proceed to beat myself with it until the oranges juice, and then drink the juice while I scream, "WHY? WHY?"

Hold that thought. Just remembered!

A fairly recently released well-written game: Psychonauts! Designed by a chap who used to work for LucasArts. It's a platformer, but it's pretty badarse nevertheless. Here's a quick vid. review (that I briefly quoted in my OP ): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...punctuation/1368-Zero-Punctuation-Psychonauts

As for comic books... I've read some fantastic comic books, like Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan and Garth Ennis' Preacher, and the first 60 issues or so of Brian Azarello's 100 Bullets, but they aren't particularly new either. So you may have a point. :tongue

Last edited:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I've never played a well-written video game. That's one reason I stopped playing them years ago: I couldn't stand the tin-eared, ham-fisted dialogue that spewed out of those avatars' beautifully rendered mouths.

One reason for this, clearly, is that video games by nature are aimed at teenagers. As are comic books. Picked up a comic book lately? Some of the crudest, most absurd writing known to man.

I keep waiting for the video game that grown-ups can enjoy. I've been waiting for over a decade.

*lip trembles*

My husband and I play video games almost every night. I thought I was grown up. *cries into her footy pajamas*

;)

Nah, I know what you mean, but there are some good ones out there. And when in doubt, FPS works too...just turn off the incoming chat, otherwise your PS3 will shout things like "I'm gonna muthaf*#$% pwn you!" on a regular basis.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Have you played Bioshock yet? I would definitely add it to the list. There are several reasons why I think this one is head and shoulders above most of the video games out there, in terms of writing and delivery.

1) You are not inundated with the same information over and over again. Instead there is an excess of information, all interesting, but it is often fragmented. You pick up tapes of what people have recorded in the past, and often they will play while you are fighting or something else is going on, so you can only hear half of what they say, or it is fragmented, or something interrupts them... it adds to the realism and also never tires you out because there are layers of info. You can always figure out where you're supposed to be going, but then below that there are layers and layers of plot details and subplots that you can pick up if you listen carefully. So it's always interesting.

2) The characters are well done. Because they aren't concerned with you understanding every single word, or even half of the words, you don't have people narrating in that artificially slow and careful way. The people talk normally and many of them have heavy accents that in and of themselves are hard to understand. But it feels completely natural.

3) The writing is good. It just is. I find myself cringing at the narration in a lot of video games because it's either so stupid or so overblown that I can't stand it. Not the case here.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

Okay, what? No slammin da comix, man. ;) I suggest you pick up any one of the following: Identity Crisis, The Dark Knight Returns, Maus, Watchmen, Powers, or Sandman.

And I would argue that a great number of comic books these days are NOT aimed at teenagers. (Although a great many are. And a good thing; some kids would never learn to read if it weren't for comic books.)

I might also point out that Neil Gaiman wrote Sandman for many years before he was recognized by the mainstream media as a master of contemporary fantasy/fiction. I have a friend who has a PhD in lit and hangs out in those circles. When she called me to rave about this "new guy" who had written American Gods, I was like, "Er... yeah. Sandman. Been around for years."

Recently, Paul Dini's been writing select issues of Batman. He is a master of the short story.

Yes, writing for comics is DIFFERENT, as the format is different. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I could just as easily say, "Picked up any mainstream fiction lately? Some of the crudest, most absurd writing known to man." And I would be just as right as you are.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Those text-only adventures from Telarium and Infocom take the cake. Zork, Trinity (I think this one actually won some kind of award for the writing), all those were way more fun than games nowadays.

Loom was pretty neat too.

And the Wing Commander series, up until the fourth. The ones after that . . . well, nah. It should have ended with Tolwyn hanging himself.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
Azrielsbane said:
Legacy of Kain series anyone? Raziel is my hero.

The original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen's one of my favourites. Only played a demo of Soul Reaver after that, didn't get much into it. Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 was all right, though, but I still like the first game the most. :tongue

JoNightshade said:
Have you played Bioshock yet?

Nope, but I expect it to be great. I did give System Shock 2 a place on the list though (#9). Bioshock's pretty much its spiritual successor, following the tradition of audio logs, creepy atmosphere, "behind-the-scenes" characters, etc. Definitely on my must-buy list once I finally get myself a 360.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, what? No slammin da comix, man. ;) I suggest you pick up any one of the following: Identity Crisis, The Dark Knight Returns, Maus, Watchmen, Powers, or Sandman.

I don't really consider those comics, I guess? (I don't know. I'm out of my league here. I should never have jumped into this.)

Seriously, I think Gaiman is an absolute genius. I think I was talking about superhero comic books that you buy on the turning shelves. They read, to me, just like video games -- or at least the video games I used to play.

Roger Ebert had a really fascinating discussion about films vs. video games last year sometime. He received thousands of e-mails (hate mail, really) from gamers blasting him for his opinion.

I agree with Ebert, though. I don't think video games are an art form because of the way they have to be marketed. Most (certainly not all; and I have heard great things about Bioshock) are dumbed down. Because, let's face it, most gamers aren't playing for the storyline.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I don't really consider those comics, I guess? (I don't know. I'm out of my league here. I should never have jumped into this.)

Haha, okay, forgiven. ;) Sorry for jumping on you; both my husband and I adore comics and I for one am tired of people writing them off because of their perceived lack of sophistication. I had a high school teacher who would let students "read" auto magazines in our reading time but forbade me from looking at comics. She was an idiot.

Seriously, I think Gaiman is an absolute genius. I think I was talking about superhero comic books that you buy on the turning shelves. They read, to me, just like video games -- or at least the video games I used to play.

I think you're referring to the comics they stock in book stores-- ie, the token comic shelf. Those are always crappy. I think they put them out there so kids will be like "Mom! Can I have one?" If you're any kind of comics fan, you have to get them at an actual comic book store.

Roger Ebert had a really fascinating discussion about films vs. video games last year sometime. He received thousands of e-mails (hate mail, really) from gamers blasting him for his opinion.

I agree with Ebert, though. I don't think video games are an art form because of the way they have to be marketed. Most (certainly not all; and I have heard great things about Bioshock) are dumbed down. Because, let's face it, most gamers aren't playing for the storyline.

I'll say this: I would play a LOT MORE than I do if video games were more story-based. I think this is really an untapped market. My husband is the gamer (he makes video games for a living), and usually I just sit around and watch now and then. But I see the potential there for really strong interactive storytelling and it pains me that nobody is exploring that. C'est la vie.

That said, I just have to quote Penny Arcade's response to Bioshock:

"It is my intention to secure two copies of the game, entire - one Collectors' edition, and one exclusively to shove up Roger Ebert's ass. If Bioshock isn't "art," then art is the poorer for it."

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
It's tough to beat "All your base are belong to us" for fine video game writing.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
RG570 said:
Loom was pretty neat too.

Probably the only early LucasArts game I never got a chance to play. SADFACE. :(

Will Lavender said:
I don't think video games are an art form because of the way they have to be marketed.

Please, please, please give Planescape: Torment a try.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going chime in here. Don't write comics off just because of the lame commercialized conveyor-belt crap that's out there.

Just as you don't write off novels because of the lame commercialized conveyor-belt crap that's out there.

Comics is a medium like anything else. With its own strengths and weaknesses.

That is all. And Sandman rocks my socks.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Silent Hill 1 through 4: the first game I ever played, Silent Hill, in 2000 spoiled most other games for me. It was intelligent and required some knowledge outside the game-verse to solve some of the puzzles, had great atmosphere ... I tried Resident Evil afterward and was profoundly disappointed. But for me, the SH games are the best. SH2 is especially good.

Fatal Frame: 1 through 3. atmospheric and intelligent.

Run Like Hell: had a good story and great cast: Lance Henrickson, Kate Mulgrew, that guy I can never remember the name of but who works steady (played Grima Wormtongue in the LOTR movies).

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
OverTheHills&FarAway said:
And Sandman rocks my socks.

And HERE is why Transmetropolitan (and Warren Ellis in general) rocks my socks off (and I'm not even wearing any)! :D

Last edited:

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If anyone thinks video games can't be art hasn't played Planescape: Torment... Go do that. Right now.

If you aren't used to video games, pick up a tutorial or find a friend who remembers it well to help you get through the labyrinthine plot of this masterpiece of literature. The story will haunt you. The characters will stay with you.

I keep a computer on my desk that is old and obsolete for only one reason: When I get the urge to re-do Planescape:Torment, it's there and ready for me.

It's like an adumbration of the future of video game art.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Art has its place, but me - I like to shoot things.

Far Cry is my all-time fav :D

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
Nothing ever beat Doom 2 in my book for pure senseless violence galore. But Far Cry is undeniably a good game too. My computer went into a coma once I finally got to the biogenetics lab (or whatever the heck it was where all these invisible dudes start pwning your behind like there's no tomorrow), though. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.