What would you do?

Would you take part in the TV programme Wife Swap?

• Yeah, sure, anything for the fun, the fame and the dosh.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No way, it's undignified and exploitative.

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
My family and I have recently been given the opportunity to appear on the TV programme Wife Swap.

I'd have to live with the other family for 8 days. I'd be chaperoned, day and night, and the other husband would undergo psychological testing to make sure he wasn't a looney tune first.

The other wife would, ergo, live with my DH and son for 8 days.

They'd be a family opposite us in beliefs, lifestyle etc, natch. But the producer assures me that they're going much more upmarket than they have been, that it'll be much less sensational and much more educational for the viewers than it has been up to now. (I've never seen it, although I get the idea).

We'd be paid £2,000 - appx €3000 and (I think) near enough to $4000.

Plus the publicity for me as a novelist.

Hmmm ....

What would you do?

(We've already said no, but I'm curious about what you all think.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
DO IT!

You'll kick yourself later -- the WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN agony. At worst, you'll make a fool of yourselves but soon everyone will forgive and forget. At best, you get your money, you get some publicity, and you have that 15 minutes.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As much as I hate reality TV, I'm in a good mood today so I say go for it. Just make sure you tell us when it's on TV.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not married, so I can't really say for sure what I would do. My gut is saying No Way, but my head suggests you shouldn't pass up experiences like that in life. :Shrug:

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
Easy money.
Have you SEEN that show???? OMG -- definitely not easy money!! I've watched it like, twice, and last week the one mom moved into the other home, gor infested with fleas, moved into a motel for a night, had to pay the overdue utilities bills (about $420) so they would have power and water because they were getting cut off that day,.... Wow, if you got the guts to go and do it, good on you! Admittedly when the show is over, the people involved seem to actually take something away from it that is valuable, and it would give you lots of exposure, but it would not be easy money!!! If you change your mind, let us know so we can watch and cheer you on!!!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. The opposites they usually use are clean/dirty, and sane/crazy. I'd do it if I knew for sure that I was the sane/clean one. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
No. Hell no. But that's just me. It might be the perfect thing for you to do.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Life's too short to take everything too seriously. $4000, 8 days living someone else's life, and on TV. That's what I call an adventure.

Katol

Yeh, right!
Registered
Reaction score
We've got that show here in Germany - don't do it!! The women put notes all 'round the house "stay out of this cupboard" "clean kitchen 14 times a day" and such. The surrogate husbands have a wail of a time making the new mum clean the loo with a toothbrush (my wife ALWAYS does it that way) and cook four course meals every night. The women usually spend the whole time bitching about the other one "I'd NEVER let my kids do that" "What kind of a woman is she?" blah, blah.

They all come over brain dead and at the end the two couples get to meet and tear each others hair out!! Eight days is nothing - the Germans do it for 14!!

Great entertainment though!

Cath

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They go out of their way on the US version to make things as horrid as possible. It's a wonder people haven't had Child Protection called on them more often.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It's trashy and shallow. If that's the kind of publicity you want as an author... ;) (I'm glad you said no.)

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
But the producer assures me that they're going much more upmarket than they have been, that it'll be much less sensational and much more educational for the viewers than it has been up to now.

Ingest with a snow shovel full of salt.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Life's too short to take everything too seriously. $4000, 8 days living someone else's life, and on TV. That's what I call an adventure.

Sign up for the show. Have Ray dress like you and go to the other family for a week of wacky adventure and split the cash. Everyone's happy, and now I'm interested in watching the show.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Except for having already said no, you could have done the show and then written about the experience later, unless contractually prohibited from doing so.

Curious about this, though:

...the other husband would undergo psychological testing to make sure he wasn't a looney tune first.

Does this mean they psych test only the husbands and not the wives?

This also seems curious:

the producer assures me that they're going much more upmarket than they have been, that it'll be much less sensational and much more educational for the viewers than it has been up to now.
I have the sneaky feeling that this is probably what they tell everyone.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
My dad's cousin and his wife were on one of the very first "Wife Swaps." I won't go into details, but she was not the sane one. She was even on the Oprah show that promoted the "Wife Swap" series premier. It was a low point for our entire family. (I'm sure you would've come off as a lot more normal and sane though)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My family and I have recently been given the opportunity to appear on the TV programme Wife Swap.

How do they find you? I mean, if you said NO, you didn't "apply" for it. Do people recommend you or something???

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean I don't think you should. Go with your gut, talk it over with your family, and decide that way. Don't let us decide for you.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting feedback.

Like Ray says, it'd be an adventure, and we're well up for adventure. Indeed, we already appeared on a reality TV programme here in Ireland for financial makeovers, and that was a terrific experience.

But this is different, somehow - for all the reasons the no-sayers have indicated, and many others. It would be exposing all the particulars of our life to two nations (it's a British programme, but it's broadcast in Ireland too, and seeing as I'm Irish there'd be a lot of interest in it here). Not that we have anything to hide, as such. There are no skeletons in our closets.

But to be frank, there are probably too many cobwebs in those same closets! Being a writer AND a home-schooling mother AND a part time therapist means that, while the house is far from a dump, it's far from a show-house either. And I would just DIE at some house-proud woman sneering at it and showing the viewers of two countries the dust. Oh God the shame.

Plus, it's very intrusive. One of the questions we had to answer was "What would you change about your marriage if you could?" Er, nobody's business actually. Good, bad or indifferent, I'm not about to parade the details of my marriage for the entertainment of the masses.

Re their statement that they're going to go upmarket (I haven't figured out how to do quotes within quotes yet!):
Ingest with a snow shovel full of salt.
. I say: quite.

It's all in the editing, and their agenda is - has to be - compulsive viewing. Somebody else told me that one of the women always comes across as this totally loony harridan - and it could well be me. They wanted me because of our reasonably alternative lifestyle: i.e. the homeschooling, vegetarian, ecological. So I'm sure they could make me out to be this totally head-case hippie (which I'm not, honestly!).

But the clincher was that my son and I would be separated - for no good reason that we could see - for 8 days. One of the things about us that they found interesting was the very family-oriented lifestyle, and that's probably the core reason we wouldn't do it. Don't get me wrong, we haven't got a dysfunctional co-dependent relationship - he barely waves over his shoulder as he heads off to spend a few days with friends or at camp. But this would be different.

As for the money, it's not as good as it sounds. For a start my husband would be there during the day, they told me (to reassure me when I didn't like the idea of my son alone with some strange woman). But that means he has to take a week of his precious annual leave, or else take unpaid leave (assuming he could even organise that). So we'd be down a week's wages there.
Plus if I got the head down and worked that many hours, either at my therapy, or doing a bit of freelance writing - I could earn a good amount of money too. (I don't usually earn that much - what with the home-schooling, and the writing hobby that passes for a career! - but if I put that many hours in, I could).

In fact, I worked it out. Say 16 hours a day, times 8 days - that means I'd 'work' 128 hours. Factor in the same for my husband. That's a total of 256 hours. Divide the $4000 by 256 and you come up with an hourly rate of just over $15.

And that's without including the embarassment factor, the away from your family factor, the possible humiliation factor. Any other ways of earning $15ph wouldn't involve any of those.

So I've very a few regrets about saying no - as a writer I think it's good to open yourself up to all sorts of experiences. And my DH and son didn't have to think very hard about it at all. They both absolutely LOATHED the suggestion.

So, that's my situation.

Seun - please let me know why you wouldn't do it but you think I should??? I'm intrigued!!

Last edited: