should publishers state number of books sold?

lisanevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisanevin.com
What is the norm about the number of books sold? Do publishers usually tell people how many copies their book sold?

For those people who have contracts with publishers, do you know the number of copies? If you're allowed to say, does you paycheck state the total book sales?

I wasn't really sure which thread to post this to. I decided on this forum since it could prove to be sticky point for people.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, it's required that publishers report these numbers to their authors when paying royalties.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Hi Lisa

As an author, you are not an employee, but a provider to the publishing company. As such, you do not receive a pay check.

Generally, you receive royalties on the number of books sold. There are, of course, exceptions, but this is the general procedure.

An author will receive a report of what sold, what is held in reserve, and what is necessary to earn out the advance.

Perhaps someone better versed in this will be along and give a better explanation.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm going to port this to Ask the Editor, where it would seem to be more appropriate.

Yes, publishers tell authors the number of books sold. They do this on a royalty statement, which may be sent anywhere from monthly to semi-annually. Royalty statements differ widely from publisher to publisher, but at a minimum, they should list the number of books sold during the royalty period, the number of books sold since the date of publication, the number of books returned (if the publisher allows returns), the royalty percentage, and the total amount of royalties earned.

If the publisher pays an advance on royalties, the advance has to be recouped before any additional royalties are paid. Contrary to what some people think, publishers do not make authors give back unearned advance amounts.

- Victoria

lisanevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisanevin.com
I'm going to port this to Ask the Editor, where it would seem to be more appropriate.
- Victoria

OK. Thanks. I noticed that thread but thought it was more 'how to edit' related.

Thus far based on what people have said here, it sounds like a publisher that doesn't disclose to their authors the number of books sold might not be on the up and up.
Naturally, I think an author should know this information, but I was curious what the norm is.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Another good way to check on #'s of books sold is to go to amazon.com or bn.com (Barnes and Nobles).

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Another good way to check on #'s of books sold is to go to amazon.com or bn.com (Barnes and Nobles).
No, these sites will only give rankings based on how the book is selling compared to other books. On Amazon in particular the numbers are volatile--rankings change hourly. Won't give you a clue as to how many books total have sold.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What is the norm about the number of books sold? Do publishers usually tell people how many copies their book sold?

For those people who have contracts with publishers, do you know the number of copies? If you're allowed to say, does you paycheck state the total book sales?

I wasn't really sure which thread to post this to. I decided on this forum since it could prove to be sticky point for people.

Victoria said it all, but one note. If you have an agent, you will usually not receive a check from the publisher. The publisher pays the agent, who cashes the check, takes out her share, and then writes you a check for your share.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Certainly authors are told, the contract may even have a clause allowing you to have this independently confirmed.