Is your MC a jerk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Not saying mine is, of course...actually, this is my first MC that I've truly, actually liked.

But I've been reading a lot of YA lately that features girls that are total jerks. I'm not talking Gossip Girls or A-list or anything where the girls are supposed to be catty and vicious and vindictive. These are supposed to be likable characters. But I can't help but find them narcissistic and self-obsessed. The prototype I've been seeing a lot lately: the super-smart girl who constantly obsesses about how everyone else is so stupid and how they're too dumb to understand her.

I know, I know, a lot of teenagers are narcissistic and self-obsessed. But I like to think that there are some out there that have some semblance of sympathy, humility, and love for other human beings.

What do teenagers like to read, really? I wasn't a teenager too long ago, and the formerly-described books leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Do super-smart girls want to read about someone they can really relate to, or someone they want to be? Maybe I'm going about this writing for young adults thing all wrong.

(Sorry if I'm ranting....)

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a jerk...he's a neo-nazi bastard. But he does have redeeming qualities. If you think your MC is likeable, that's all that's important.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm not writing YA, but yes, my MC is a jerk. My two other supporting MC's are very sympathetic, though. My MC is not a narcissistic high school girl though, he's an embittered 60 year old man. ;)

roskoebaby

haha. Good thing I just posted something that looks a little like what you described. My first books have had a good hearted MC and I think that a lot of teens do identify with that. I just think that they like to mix it up a bit too. Like for every sweet MC side of them, they need a little bit of trouble mixed in. Just my opinion.

meldy

Instant humanJust add coffee
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a jerk I guess. Sort of.
She is more of a jaded kid rather than an outright jerk though. She certainly isnt like the jerks you describe.

And yes, she is a teen girl, 13....

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
I think kids (particularly teens) always like to read about people doing naughty or bad or illegal things. I do think the rise of celebrity-obsessed magazines and media has had an effect on teens who now seem to think bad manners are acceptable, even funny - and sadly, so do some of their parents.

All I can suggest is that those type of books are part of a trend - and like any trend, they'll burn out. Kids may be amused by those sorts of characters, but as others have said, there's no real substance.

Nobody is perfect - everyone has dark and light sides to them. But I do think it's important for MCs to have some redeeming qualities, otherwise the reader won't want him/her to succeed at whatever it is. Deep down, the MC needs to be a fundamentally decent person - maybe with issues - but still basically a person who wants to like and be liked.

Of course, there will always be the tiny percentage who don't follow this, but I would suggest that it's more likely to happen in adult fiction?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
My MC in my newest book is popular and pretty, but she's also nice. Yay for not being a Gossip Girl!

The MC in my second book was popular, pretty, and a conceited jerk, but deep down, I knew she was a good person. Maybe that was the problem. I knew it, but the rest of the readers didn't! When she realizes who she's become, she tries to transform herself into a better person, but it's hard.

In my first book, my one MC (there were three) prided herself on being unique and smart and looked down on anyone normal. I admit to this line of thinking sometimes, but she took it to the extreme. However, it was portrayed as a problem with her, and one of her other friends got angry for constantly belittling people who weren't like her.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I think biting, scathing sarcasm makes likable, jerky main characters. ^_^ Jokes at the expense of supporting characters is not an admirable quality, but it can get some laughs and folks can quote their favourite put downs/ comebacks. ^_^

-An

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a jerk. He's a thousands-of-years-old misanthropic curmudgeon hermit. Part of his jerkiness is his complete disregard for human life.

I'm probably one of those 'jerk' girls you described. Elitist, probably, but if such girls are to survive, they either give up or end up rather socially isolated (not that that's a bad thing. In fact, that's what I opted for. I like my friends, and I could honestly care less about what other people are doing.) If a girl was like this long enough, she wouldn't be complaining about how stupid other people are, she would be ignoring them, much in the same way a character whose mother died five years ago wouldn't be mentioning it at every turn. I think the whole 'not understand' thing is rather stupid, though.

Personally, I don't think stupidity is that big of an issue (there will always be stupid people, some of them are pretty nice, and hell, there's Darwin awards), but more concern should be focused on the petty. For some reason, I don't see many teenagers in YA doing that.

Then again, could you give some examples of what you're talking about? I don't read that much YA, and if I read these books, I may not identify with the main character at all.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Jian - definitely not (he's a little self-absorbed in a way, but not selfish); Michiko - for the most part, no, but she's quick to attack on behalf of her brother

Euterpe - no; Strymon - total jerk

Tia - has her moments, especially if she's feeling defensive. She's the most self-absorbed, distances herself from others, & is quick to use a biting retort

DL - Not sure... possibly... we'll see when he gets to react w/ Kristie (not sure about her yet either)

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably one of those 'jerk' girls you described. Elitist, probably, but if such girls are to survive, they either give up or end up rather socially isolated (not that that's a bad thing. In fact, that's what I opted for. I like my friends, and I could honestly care less about what other people are doing.) If a girl was like this long enough, she wouldn't be complaining about how stupid other people are, she would be ignoring them, much in the same way a character whose mother died five years ago wouldn't be mentioning it at every turn. I think the whole 'not understand' thing is rather stupid, though.

Personally, I don't think stupidity is that big of an issue (there will always be stupid people, some of them are pretty nice, and hell, there's Darwin awards), but more concern should be focused on the petty. For some reason, I don't see many teenagers in YA doing that.

Then again, could you give some examples of what you're talking about? I don't read that much YA, and if I read these books, I may not identify with the main character at all.

I'm talking literal anti-social behavior. Such as not having the ablity to love. Or at least surely not seeming like it.

One book I've read recently is Sloppy Firsts. It's pretty funny, but I'm finding that the MC lacks any sympathy at all. Her "friendships" seem to be based on what these people can do for her, and the only person she truly cares about isn't actually in the book, but has moved away and is on the recieving end of Jessica's (funny but) whiney e-mails (and we never see Hope's replies). I've been told that the sequels are much better, but I don't feel like sticking along with it long enough to find out.

One I liked more was Teach Me. I liked the MC in this one a lot more than Jessica, but she did have an elitest attitude and self-obsession that was kind of off-putting. Not nearly as bad as the other, though, and she does eventually realize that she selflessly loves her best friend.

Constantly reading about how stupid and pathetic the MC thinks other people are makes me feel that the MC is shallow and, well, there's only so much I can take of shallowness.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Evernight: Bianca's not a jerk, though a few people think Jared is. Bianca is an intelligent, bookish girl, and her interests aren't shared by many, but she feels intimidated at school instead of arrogant. She is far from perfect and aware of it. Jared is loudmouthed, hot-tempered and stand-offish, but he stands up for what's right and isn't afraid to defy authority/the crowd/etc. to do it.

Venus and Mercury: I am still getting to know Julia, but she's not a jerk either. She, too, is very focused on her education, so much so that some people find it odd, but she doesn't judge other people for being different; in fact, she thinks of herself as odd. And she's a very outgoing, affectionate girl that people sometimes underestimate but generally like. In some ways she's very naive, and that will be a problem for her in short order, but she's not at all obnoxious.

I tend to prefer the non-obnoxious characters; a witty, intelligent, bold jerk is sometimes delightful, but this character type is hard to write well. I've seen great examples, but I've also seen far more that just came across as annoying.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
My last MC was definitely difficult to like (sort of an understatement :tongue), but I at least found her sympathetic. She comes from quite a screwed-up family, and she doesn't really know how to relate to guys at all. At times she's a complete and utter bitch, and I've definitely wanted to slap some sense into her on more than one occasion, but at times I (tried to) show her vulnerable side too. I've read books with horrid, manipulative MCs that I liked, and sweet, shy MCs that I hates. I think it's all in the execution, and it's impossible to gauge how others will react to your characters ahead of time. Just, for the love of all that is holy, don't stack everything against your protagonist! There is nothing more instantly unlikable than discovering that the author is fully behind one of his/her characters.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
Ansel is a jerk, but he gets over it fast when people start trying to kill him for no apparent reason. Makes you stop and reassess, you know?

He's whiny, yes, and sarcastic. But he's got good reason. His identical brothers are rich, talented, and famous. He's just a regular kid. That'd make anybody a little bit cranky.

Being a jerk, in my opinion, usually means something is out of balance. Sure, there are just plain nasty people out there, but they usually end up serial killers and "jerk" is probably the nicest thing you can call them. For every jerk in the world, there is most likely an extenuating circumstance.

Now, as for fiction? Yeah, there are jerks for no reason other than to have an excuse to launch all the scathing insults the author was too afraid to say as a kid. I don't like to read those kinds of jerks. With everything in fiction, there needs to be a reason for something. If he's a jerk for the sake of being witty, something is amiss in the storytelling process, if you ask me.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
My YA MC was very nice, funny, and she was a senior in HS. But I think being super nice is what makes the story. She stays true to her self even though life is throwing her a TON of lemons. (The reader is seriously hoping she achieves her dreams by the end of the book)

My MG MC is a bit of a downer though, but I know this will only last for a couple of chapters. I have BIG life changing plans for him. (I can't wait! he he)

Go with what you like to write. Be true to your self and write what makes you feel good. Keep in mind that characters going through changes is a good thing. (at least, thats what everyone tells me. See: character development thread.)

Good luck, and most important HAVE FUN!
TL

Last edited:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I have 5 MCs

Azrael- A condescending bastard who thinks he knows more than everyone else... Unfortunately for everyone else, he's usually right.

Luke- A 65 million year old loose cannon who fluctuates between lovable puppy-dog eyes and pyrokinetic rages. He also has a childish obsession with superheroes.

Morghan- A cold-blooded killer. She kills anything she gets her hands on. People. Emotions. Puppies. Note: She doesn't always set out to kill them; she's just pretty unlucky that way. ;)

Nikoli- Creator of the current realm of mankind. 100% scorned lover. If only Azrael would come back to him, maybe he wouldn't be so heartless... But then again, where would my story be without an antagonist?

Michael- Nikoli's biological son. Used, abused, reused... A total nutcase by the time he manages to create his own version of the human race. He tries so hard to fit in, to be normal...and fails.

So, are they jerks? In their own special ways. ;)

Reaction score
Is your MC a demon? 'Cause mine's a shapeshifter. Imagine the fun they could have!

Reaction score
Ooh, your MC is a lady-immortal? Nice, as Fern has bisexual tendencies.

Aw, look at us proud parents trying to matchmake our twisted creations. Don't they make you proud?

Status
Not open for further replies.