Anyone familiar with downtown Chicago?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Help!

So my husband got word today that our two year business "trip" to KY is ending, and we're being sent on another "trip" to Chicago for eight months. We leave in four weeks. We're pretty excited 'cause we like cities and get to live downtown (on the company's dime).

I've only visited the city a few times in my life so I'm not too familiar with it. It looks like most of the apartments we can choose from are in the "River North" neighborhood. Is it hoppin' at night or does it shut down at the end of the business day? Are there good places to eat and catch live music in the evening or will we have to go farther out? I found a House of Blues nearby, but I'm also thinking cozy and local too...

We could also live on Millenium park.

If anyone is so inclined, I put all our housing options on a little map (google rocks!), so if you know the area, I'd love to hear what you think...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...,0.159645&z=13

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
It's all very high rent area...most of those are right across from Navy Pier on the Magnificent Mile. The one to the south is right across from Shedd Aquarium. You'll find nightlife anywhere in the downtown area.

You're lucky...most people wouldn't be able to live in that kind of area. Personally, I'd want to be farther north so I'd be closer to Wrigley Field, but that's just me. :)

Plenty of great resturants, lots of small ones...but make sure you go to Harry Carey's (it's near House of Blues) for their French Dip, it's to die for. :)

Ugh, it's been way to long since I've been to Chicago...can I come visit?

Last edited:

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Help!

So my husband got word today that our two year business "trip" to KY is ending, and we're being sent on another "trip" to Chicago for eight months. We leave in four weeks. We're pretty excited 'cause we like cities and get to live downtown (on the company's dime).

I've only visited the city a few times in my life so I'm not too familiar with it. It looks like most of the apartments we can choose from are in the "River North" neighborhood. Is it hoppin' at night or does it shut down at the end of the business day? Are there good places to eat and catch live music in the evening or will we have to go farther out? I found a House of Blues nearby, but I'm also thinking cozy and local too...

We could also live on Millenium park.

If anyone is so inclined, I put all our housing options on a little map (google rocks!), so if you know the area, I'd love to hear what you think...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=....892822,-87.602234&spn=0.063381,0.159645&z=13

Wow. I'm jealous, and I live here! LOL Well, I live in the suburbs of Chicago, but suffice it to say, you've got yourself a sweet deal. At first glance, it looks like you couldn't go wrong, no matter what you choose. The River North area is close to the Theatre District (or maybe it's considered part of it), so most nights it's still hoppin'. And Millenium Park is cool, too--very touristy but always something going on. Plus you'd be right near Grant Park, which is festival headquarters;). But Let me take a look at some of the places you've mentioned and then get back to you.:)

Also, you mentioned cozy and local... are you referring strictly to nightlife and food, or is that apartment-wise, too?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
You want to get as close as you can to an EL station (winters are brutal), and I think there's a nice one at Grand Plaza. As far as night life, you're talking Chicago. There's a bar on nearly every streetcorner, and some huge ones down on Rush and Division streets. If you like Italian food, the Italian Village is great. There used to be three big restaurants. and you end up taking more food home in a doggie bag than you actually eat in the restaurant. They put a tray of hot and cold antipast on my table that was so big I had to put my drink almost out of reach.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Oh how lucky. I wish I would be "sent" to Chicago for a project. I've only been there a few times so I don't know much except for the usual. Do go to Giordani's Pizza -- great stuffed and thin-crust pizzas.

You'll be living in a great area. How nice. Can I come visit? I promise I won't be a pig.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I'm in the suburbs, but my experience is limited to the river north area. I asked a few of my friends that actually live in the city, and The Sterling (or any of the other River North apartments) are recommended. There's lots of bars and restaurants in the area, but might be a little quiet on weekends.

One Superior Place is closer to Old Town, so there might be more nightlife there but they didn't know the area well enough to say for sure.

Avoid the Loop (south of the river) at all costs. That's mostly business district and most everything is closed after 6pm.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
You're in a great spot. My husband's from Chicago (we're actually going there this weekend--leaving Friday) and we go shopping--the whole Magnificent Mile thing--a lot. He's from further north, though, right around Evanston. I like visiting, but I don't want to live there. The only places I'd live in Chicago are actually way outside the city, along Sheridan Road up to Kenilworth, Wilamette, Winnetka; places we couldn't afford the gardner's tool shed.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Hi RLB,

This is the link to the City of Chicago where you can find information about Chicago and reference during your stay.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/home.do

This link is to Metromix where you can find restaurants, bars & clubs, events, etc. in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. It’s great and you can choose City Downtown, Lakeview, etc. when searching.

Have fun while you're here! :D

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Great responses, thanks! We're really excited. These business trips have been a huge blessing for us. It's going to be hard to go back to paying for housing one day (not to mention we haven't had to pay for gas in over two years). And they've allowed me to write write write.

We were kinda clueless as to how to go about choosing the best apartment. I'm glad the area is still fun at night (I was scared it was what some of y'all are saying about the Loop- dead after dark). And now we'll definitely keep the El in mind. I've suffered through enough winters in Detroit to know I won't want to have to walk long blocks to public transportation. I'm also going to see how close grocery stores are. I know there's a Whole Foods in the building of one of the apartments and a Jewel something-or-other in the building of another.

We're angling for a two bedroom so with any luck y'all will have a bed when you come to visit!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Just to add a few things, you definitely want to eat at Carmine’s (Italian and MUCH better than Italian Village) and go to Tavern on Rush next to each other on Rush Street. For Seafood, you can go to McCormick & Schmick’s (one off of Wacker and the other near Rush) and they have REALLY, REALLY good Mojitos.

I work in the loop and there are good places for lunch and after hours, such as PotBelly’s, Heaven on Seven, Berghoff’s, Elephant and Castle and a good bar is Fado (People in Chicago do enjoy Happy Hour). :D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
When we're in Chicago, we tend to head down to Devon St. It's like eating your way around the world. Since we're usually visiting my in-laws when we're there, we stay on the north side of town unless my husband takes me downtown to shop. We've eaten at a few places in town and over in Lincoln Park, but mostly I cook at his mom's. Or she has it catered--she doesn't cook.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add a few things, you definitely want to eat at Carmine’s

Is that the same Carmine's that's in NYC? If so, I'm there.

And thanks for all the suggestions!

My husband's already threatening to take away my credit card in light of all the fabulous shopping and dining I'll have access to... I really don't know how people who live in places like Manhattan and Chicago do it. I mean, you walk out your front door and everything is RIGHT THERE. You don't have to make a decision as to whether you want to drive out to shop or eat.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of great steak houses in Chicago: Gibson's, Mortons, Chicago Chop House, Ruth's Chris, Lawry's, but for my money, the very best is the Capitol Grille on St. Clair up by Northwestern University. I try to get there every time I'm in Chicago and I've never been disappointed.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add a few things, you definitely want to eat at Carmine’s (Italian and MUCH better than Italian Village) and go to Tavern on Rush next to each other on Rush Street. For Seafood, you can go to McCormick & Schmick’s (one off of Wacker and the other near Rush) and they have REALLY, REALLY good Mojitos.

Love Tavern on Rush!:D Nice big windows... perfect for people-watching as you sip on your martini...

Don't forget Rosebud (on Rush). Best Italian food I've ever eaten, and it's got ambiance, galore. The old brownstone building is very charming and the staff there is so nice. And it goes without saying that you'll have to check out *all* the steak houses, including Chicago's own, Gene and Georgetti's.

... And the Italian beef from Portillo's, and then there's the Chicago hot dogs...

RLB, you might as well plan on gaining a good ten pounds while you reside here.:ROFL:Never a shortage of good food in the Windy City...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
it's what I miss the most about my 8 years in Chicago: the food. the food. the food.

second most missed? Second City.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
RLB, you might as well plan on gaining a good ten pounds while you reside here.:ROFL:Never a shortage of good food in the Windy City...

I know what being trapped in the throes of a midwestern winter with access to good food can do to my weight, and it's not pretty.

And all this restaurant talk is making me hungry... and more excited. I've started a little Word document list with everyone's suggestions.

*makes note to check out fitness centers of housing options*

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
The other nice thing about Chicago (besides what everyone else has mentioned) are the suburbs! I like visiting Chicago, but I like my peace and quiet and all the noise/traffic day and night would be too much for me. (But then, I grew up in a small town). The trains will take you out of the city and into the suburbs so have fun exploring. :)

Take care -

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and if you ever get up to Andersonville (just get on N. Clark and keep going), try a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant called SVEA. It's the only place I've ever been that makes authentic Swedish thin pancakes.

ETA: You can also pick up home-made pickled herring at Wikstrom's just down the street. Dang! This is killing me!

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it depends on if you want the view of the lake, but personally, i'd chose either the ontario or hubbard spot. in fact, i bet that ontario apartment has a view to the lake as well. but really anything in this general area is going to be nice.

as for nightlife in that area, not much actually. you can go to rush or division street off the gold coast, but you'd probably wanna cab it especially when winter comes around.

at least there's plenty of food options all around there.

oh and dont live south of randolph. booring.

good luck!

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I miss Chicago so much! You are so lucky! I left in March after eight years and miss everything that's been mentioned here. I worked for seven years in River North and it is a great area. Lots of art galleries, restaurants & nightlife.

Not so good if you're a famous basketball player (Antoinne Walker was robbed in his home at gunpoint this summer) but that was a private home. Just keep your head up, same as Detroit, and you'll be fine.

yourcta.com will give you transit maps. You can use that while looking at locations to give you a better idea of el stops. There are brown line stops in River North at Chicago & Merchandise Mart.

metromix.com, mentioned previously, is a godsend.

Also check out chireader.com (Chicago Reader - free local paper).

River North is full of salsa clubs, and I recommend Buzz (318 W. Erie) on Wednesday nights.

Also, my FAVORITE restaurant: Cafe Iberico, for tapas. Cheaper than some of the other tapas places and wonderful food. On LaSalle between Chicago & Superior.

Good luck and say hi to Chicago for me!

Melanie

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Well after a long few weeks, we are finally moved in and settled, and we love Chicago! We wound up going with the apartment in the South Loop (it was the roomiest and newest), right on Grant Park. We're really enjoying the neighborhood and have been exploring non-stop. We're less than two blocks from the El and busses, so it works out great for going uptown.

Plus I was sold on our view (floor to ceiling windows in three rooms) the minute I walked in (and here's my fantastic writing area too):

IMG_3491.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg

Anyway, we've slowly begun eating our way through the city (and Metromix is a lifesaver). I'm trying to exercise (I've been running along the lake while it's nice out), but I don't think it's going to be enough to counteract all the delicious restaurants we've been trying. Thanks again for all your suggestions!