Damn it

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
At the end of something pushing a sixty-hour day, with the first barrage of tests looming in the horizon, I come home to find the creature that my make-shift family brought home (a Labrador) chewed up one (1) cherrywood irish whistle, and it's case, (1) custom made african blackwood Irish Flute, and ITS case.

The damage is well over the thousand dollar range.

Someone keep me from killing the miserable animal.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that far to Overland Park from here; I'll come pick up the dog :) I LOVE Labradors.

No help on the whistles...I have a tin Irish whistle...don't think it's worth much of anything.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
We ended up having to give two of our dogs away because of issues like this. My husband and I got tired of losing 50 dollar game controllers, chunks out of our furniture, not to mention the marking...

We LOVED Tara and Bender, but it was either give them away or kill them in a fit of rage.

Luckily, AKC Yorkies are easy to give away. ;) Now we just have Leia (1 yr old yorkie), Arden (4 month old boa), and Demon Fish (a parrot fish from the 7th circle of Hell, that I swear will outlive me). Much nicer. Less chewing, less anger.

Good luck with the lab. I say make him an outside dog or give him away...or lock your room? ;)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
:O

our lab hardly chewed, she was just "psychopup" as our neighbors called her from ages 1-5...

But our cocker spaniel suuuure does. The worst he's done is flipflops though...mostly.

Chewing and in-crate-whining is getting better though, because I've recently discovered how to manipulate the dog via really mean looks and intense angry dominant auras. He totally backs down. Every single time.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the end of something pushing a sixty-hour day, with the first barrage of tests looming in the horizon, I come home to find the creature that my make-shift family brought home (a Labrador) chewed up one (1) cherrywood irish whistle, and it's case, (1) custom made african blackwood Irish Flute, and ITS case.

The damage is well over the thousand dollar range.

Someone keep me from killing the miserable animal.
bad day huh?
Hope the Lab finds a good home....he deserves it.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Just keep this name formost in your thoughts: Michael Vick.

Get rid of the dog or put the flutes in a secure drawer. Don't become the local jerk.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Um, you know, dogs can be trained not to do stuff like that. Bad dog behaviour is the fault of the owner, not the critter.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'll second that... ever heard of dog obedience lessons? They usually have them at the local Petco and such. Dogs should not be chewing up your stuff, PERIOD. Particularly not a big smart dog like a lab. They require training, but they can be trained really well.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OTOH, you could learn to play the rawhide chew toy....

Seriously, good on you for looking for a way to defuse your frustration. I can only barely imagine how you might feel.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Welcome back bart. Now get your ass into chat.

That is all.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My parents had an Old English Sheepdog who was a terrible chewer. His favorite appeared to be drywall and he'd eat any protruding exterior corners. This is not good in a rental house.

He was poorly trained all his life; my family had been "cat people" until this dog made my mom feel safe and gave her a companion when my dad became seriously ill. The only person he obeyed, ever, was me because I wouldn't put up with his bad behavior but would reward good. If I'd lived there full time, it would have been good for the dog, who would drag my mom, literally, during walks, jump on guests, knock my ailing father to the floor, and so on.

It's incredibly frustrating when an animal is destructive, but I agree, it's not the animal's fault. You need to protect your stuff, first off. (And insure what's left, maybe?) Consider a trunk or footlocker, a file cabinet, or other dual-duty additions if you don't have a safe place to keep your instruments.

Whoever's dog this is needs to get serious about training and making sure the animal has enough to do, or give it to an owner who will.

Maryn, so sorry to hear about the loss

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Bad dog behaviour is the fault of the owner, not the critter.

Since the value of the dog does not come anywhere near the value of the flutes, I suspect I can claim ownership of it (the dog), and still be owed money.

And then it can get shipped straight off to a farm.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Since the value of the dog does not come anywhere near the value of the flutes, I suspect I can claim ownership of it (the dog), and still be owed money.

Aw, yer jest talking tough. I bet you love that doggie.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com

I loathe dogs.

I suspect the dog knows that. I'm thinkin' you and the dog might be much better off if you found it a home.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a training issue, not a dog problem. There's no shame in finding a different home for this puppy - some people just aren't meant to own dogs, just like some people aren't meant to own cats.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barty, this wasn't a dog you wanted, just one that was foisted on you. You have a full plate and don't want the dog. Finding the dog a good home would be beneficial for both you and the dog.

And I'm very sorry to hear about the instrument! That's a lot of money, not to mention the attachment we often have to our instruments. :(

BTW: for those with chewy dogs, RumpleTumbler is dead on. And for an extra treat, put the Kong and peanut butter in the freezer. It lasts a long time and makes a nice peanut butter popsicle for the doggy on a hot day. I live with two Labs and an Austrailian Shepherd. I know mouthy dogs.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
There's nothin' like the Kong for chewers!

And Bartholomew, if you don't think you will come to love the dog, it may be better off with someone else. Or if you can learn to accept, if not love, it, maybe you both can be okay in the house. Someone wanted the creature, so maybe it's a question of training and supervision of the dog *by the person(s) who wanted it.* Your beautiful possessions should not become its toys; it should have been watched by someone other than you. You must lay down the law here.

And thank you for not taking your frustration out on the dog. You're a good person to look for alternatives & solutions in this case. I am sorry about the beautiful instruments. Someone certainly owes you!

Katol

Yeh, right!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a training issue, not a dog problem. There's no shame in finding a different home for this puppy - some people just aren't meant to own dogs, just like some people aren't meant to own cats.

And some people aren't meant to "own" kids. Sorry, couldn't resist that. We're going to get a dog when my husband retires in 10 years - 'till then we're practising on everyone else's. It's going to be a good puopy or I'll kill it (nicely of course).

Cath