PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

Southern_girl29
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Ok, I've got two ideas floating around in my head, and I can't decide which one to write first. So, I'm going to ask all of you to chime in.

The first one is the sequel to Psychic Straits. The first book and this second one will be able to stand alone. Anyway, my MC in those books is Gracie Strait, a 14-year-old psychic detective. In the second book, she travels to Florida to spend time with her father and to learn about his work with young psychics. While there, she starts to have visions of teenagers who have been kidnapped by a fundamentalist Christian, who soon targets the young psychics her father works with.

The second idea is about a 15-year-old girl (no name yet), who has kept her family life a secret. Her mother had an affair with a married man, got pregnant and had her. She hasn't had any contact with her father, until a few months before the story starts. She knows she has a half-sister three weeks younger than she is, but she's never met her. She's only seen a picture of her. Right before school starts back, she finds out her half-sister will be starting at her school. Her half-sister knows about her, but hates her. She's scared of everyone finding out. Also, she and her sister will be competing for the job of editor of the school paper. When they are appointed co-editors, they have to learn to get along with each other and disregard what their parents have told them.

I already have all the research done for the first one, and I've also completely outlined it. The second one popped into my head while I was making a long drive today. What would you go with first? I can't write them both at the same time. I've tried that before, and it didn't work.

Bufty
08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Let's see- one potato, two potato, three potato, four....five potato, six potato, seven potato, more. That one!

Southerngirl - Whatever answer you're looking for :Hug2:

JLCwrites
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
I like both of your story ideas, however, I think your second one is more intriguing to me. I am interesting in how things go with the half-sisters and how they overcome their obstacles. You've already drawn me into their lives with just a paragraph! :)
TL

OverTheHills&FarAway
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, I know what I would do, since I'm ALWAYS in this situation...

Work on both. The sequel is researched and outlined, right? Start writing!

At the same time, start thinking more about your new idea. Flesh it out. Daydream for weeks while doing laundry and walking the dog and vacuuming and washing dishes, write down notes here and there, all the while devoting your official "writing" time to the first draft of the sequel. Then, hopefully, when you get done with that, your new idea will be all ready to go.

I do this all the time, and, although I'm not exactly disciplined (read: I really need to finish something one of these days) I feel myself growing tremendously as a writer. And I actually feel I'm getting a lot done.

That's what I would do, anyway. Good luck figuring out what you would do :)

Harper K
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I agree with Turkey -- they both sound good, but if I was faced between picking up one or the other from the bookshelf, I'd go with number 2. All of the family dynamics that would come into a book like that are fascinating to me. In general, I tend to be into family dramas / coming-of-age stories / problem novels vs. paranormal stuff, though.

In the end, it all comes down to which one you feel the pull to write right now.

Southern_girl29
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I know I can't do both. I've tried it before. I write all day at work, and I only have enough mind left at night to write one. LOL. I'm leaning toward the second one, though, because it won't take me long at all to write the first one since my outline is so detailed.

JoNightshade
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I would go with the second idea. Wait on your sequel until you've sold the first one. A standalone is always best until then.

Ziljon
08-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I like the first one better. Seems more interesting to me, and way more exciting.

If you do go with the second one, I'd suggest a twist. How about neither sister knows she a half-sister and only after they become enemies/friends do they find out? Or maybe only the protagonist knows that she's half-sister to the other one, but wants to get to know her as a friend, without any baggage, first.

Just a though.

scarletpeaches
08-29-2007, 11:19 PM
I know I can't do both. I've tried it before. I write all day at work, and I only have enough mind left at night to write one. LOL. I'm leaning toward the second one, though, because it won't take me long at all to write the first one since my outline is so detailed.

There's your answer.

HJW
08-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Hey Southern Girl!

I liked the sound of the second one. I'm a big fan of following your instincts and you seem to leaning towards no. 2.

Also, if you have the PS sequel all outlined, then you'll be OK for when someone bites and asks if you can do a follow up.

bethany
08-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I vote for the second one...

VisionScript
08-30-2007, 12:03 AM
You might work on the outlined story first and put it aside after your ideas are exhausted, in order to work on the second one. Then, after a few months of serious work on the second novel, go back and make the first one complete (you'll have a fresh outlook and will be able to spot the flaws and the characters will have grown flesh by then).

moth
08-30-2007, 12:18 AM

There's your answer.
I agree. Go with your gut.

Plus I'm a bit biased -- the second one drew me in more than the first one. :)

All joking aside...ultimately it is up to you, but IMO it does sound like you answered your own question there. ... :)

Legionsynch
08-30-2007, 12:20 AM
I like the second one, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun. :)

Southern_girl29
08-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Ok, I'm going for the second one. I started it tonight. Let's see if I can pull it off. I'm writing in first person.

OverTheHills&FarAway
08-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Yay!

No pressure. It's not like all of us are waiting anxiously to read it. :)