heads up

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Heard on the radio this morning that cockroaches can live up to one month without their heads.

So don't just decapitate them; dismember them. Give them a good healthy swat.

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder who aims to chop only their heads off as it is... interesting habit, that.

Squashing it is! *determined face*

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Heard on the radio this morning that cockroaches can live up to one month without their heads.
Probably the result of a year's research at a 'prestigious' university, funded by a government grant.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
what about if you suck the juices out of their bodies?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the result of a year's research at a 'prestigious' university, funded by a government grant.
Yeah. We wouldn't want to develop any of those simple animal models to investigate biological phenomena that can't be investigated on less tractable higher animals. And anyway, research on invertebrates hasn't led to any major developments that have improved the human condition, have they?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Uh

Insects like roaches are very different, neurologically, than higher animals; their cephalization--the degree to which neurons have grouped together in the anterior end [the head] is much less than the cephalization of higher animals.

A roach can live without its head because the neurons are somewhat evenly distributed throughout its body. A fish, a reptile, or a mammal cannot, because the majority of its neurons are concentrated in its head. We call it the "brain."

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
apparently if you squish the female roaches you still don't kill the eggs so more of the little blighters come knocking on your door!

Kevvers

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh

Insects like roaches are very different, neurologically, than higher animals; their cephalization--the degree to which neurons have grouped together in the anterior end [the head] is much less than the cephalization of higher animals.

A roach can live without its head because the neurons are somewhat evenly distributed throughout its body. A fish, a reptile, or a mammal cannot, because the majority of its neurons are concentrated in its head. We call it the "brain."
This is true, although it is a significant oversimplification and greatly understates the usefullness of invertebrates in neurobiological research (which I don't think you were contesting). Everything we know about action potentials (nerve impulses) comes from groundbreaking work on the squid (with Novel prizes as evidence). Same with learning and memory. The field of neuromodulation, which has advanced neuroscience by an incredible leap, has its roots in a little stomach ganglion of lobsters,as well as a number of other invertebrate preparations. The basic neurobiological rules for neural pattern generation--for control of rhythmic movements--have been laid down primarily from invertebrate preprarations, including cockroaches. And it goes on and on...

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
This is true, although it is a significant oversimplification and greatly understates the usefullness of invertebrates in neurobiological research (which I don't think you were contesting). Everything we know about action potentials (nerve impulses) comes from groundbreaking work on the squid (with Novel prizes as evidence). Same with learning and memory. The field of neuromodulation, which has advanced neuroscience by an incredible leap, has its roots in a little stomach ganglion of lobsters,as well as a number of other invertebrate preparations. The basic neurobiological rules for neural pattern generation--for control of rhythmic movements--have been laid down primarily from invertebrate preprarations, including cockroaches. And it goes on and on...

Yessir. I just doubt this particular study is going to lead to headless humans.

[not that there's a huge void in this world just waiting for headless humans to come along and fill it...except I guess low ceilings...]

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yessir. I just doubt this particular study is going to lead to headless humans.

[not that there's a huge void in this world just waiting for headless humans to come along and fill it...except I guess low ceilings...]
Speaking of headless humans, have you seen the movie Re-Animator? One of my all-time favorite B-level horror movies. It's a cult classic.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I don't think I've ever seen a B horror movie...

...don't kill me...

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Uh

Wow, you're smart.

I read roaches and just went ewwwwww.