• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Collaborative writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInstrumentMovie.com
I've found that collaborative/interactive writing exercises -- working with at least one other person on a single piece of writing -- forces me to get words down. Someone more structured than the "exquisite corpse," but simple enough to use as a good "throat-clearer" before getting down to my "real" writing.

I've tried a few collaboration exercises like this and some methods/structures work better than others. Interested to see if others have methods that work well for them...?

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I've never actually collaborated with anyone on a piece of writing, but I have tried a few times to make goals with writer friends. We promise to ask each other about progress and such through the week or month we are working on. The biggest problem I found with this is I was the only one sticking to my promise. I kept my friends going, but they didn't care to do the same for me. So I quit doing that. I couldn't ask about them constantly and keep myself on task by myself as well, lol.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine and I were doing the same thing for each other diet and fitness wise and she refuses to ask how I am doing, so I quit asking her too.

dropsofjup2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I love collabrative writing. It allows for multitasking all forms of creative communication such as singing and acting, while using all of the senses to learn, share, and inspire others. I always thought that I could inspire others far beyond what inspired me because, I believe I've pretty much heard it all. LOL Writing gives me a great sense of peace and I love it!

Last edited:

dropsofjup2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hi Nemo, I'm checking out WEbook.com. Thanks for your referral. I'm seriously interested in getting published and am willing to have a variety of resources for my freelance business.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've become very interested in the collaborative writing idea. After all, the history of lit itself is one big collaboration, or series of riffing on others' works. Anyway, there's a new wiki site that allows for some experimenting. Not quite like flashing or writing to a prompt. Just a different kind of writing game, I guess.

So far I've just done some editing, but I've got some ideas for a new character and ways to extend the start. I might decide to take on one character as my only POV (3rd, not 1st is my choice), and pretend I'm playing a text version of a MMOG or Second Life.

At the moment, the material is something between literary and sci fi. It could go just about anywhere. And being a wiki, it can branch in multiple directions.

http://wiki-fiction.wikidot.com/

This is not protected in any way, so it's not a place to post anything you want to publish. Nor does it pay, nor does it have official editors. Just post and/or edit what you see if you want to play editor and writer both. (No sign up required; you can post anonymously.)

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in colloborating
but than as an Indian, people here refuse
to take me seriously either because we are the
poor cousins of native writers or prejudice
padma

dropsofjup2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hello padnar,

What makes you think that people do not see you seriously or that it makes a difference if you are a poor cousin of native writers or prejudice? There is are many different kinds of people and a whole world out there waiting for you.

I see you are a board fanatic and that alone tells me that you are driven to be a good writer or am I wrong?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It works differently for different teams. In some cases, two people work together on the same piece of fiction. If you want to know how that works, you should check out Uncle Jim's thread in Novel Writing. I know at some point, he's posted how he and his wife write together to produce a book.

Another person to ask if you're interested in serious collaboration is CathyC, as she has a writing partner for all her novels as well.

As far as being the sole writer of a novel, but working with another person when stuck, I've done that a couple of times with my first novel. When I came to a place where I knew approximately what needed to go next, but I couldn't find the words, I gave the mess to my SO, and had him write the next sentence or two. Yes, I ended up with a food fight between my characters, but it got me unstuck and I finished the novel.

If you simply want to work with a group of people to hold yourself accountable, you can work with a writing group online or off. Here at the cooler, we've got numerous threads devoted to reporting in on a regular basis, and I find it helpful to be part of one of these (The Weekend Progress Report, over in the Humor forum). Of course, come Friday, I'm thinking, "Ouch! I've written nothing! What am I going to say?" At that point, I come up with a really creative excuse, or more likely, words on computer screen to report. Former and current members of WPR have gone from unpublished to published, so we must be doing something right!

Then there's the off-the-cuff unstructured sort of collaboration that folks are doing here and there in the Cooler. There are two people writing a novel, alternating chapter by chapter (check sigs to find out who they are ;) ), there are numerous threads in WEPG where consecutive posters work through a story, three or five words or a paragraph at a time. Play around, make friends, and find some other people who want to do the same thing, if that's your dream. (Zero, I think these last methods are more like a music jam than the others, though the results aren't always as cohesive.)

Reaction score
Quiet question about an embarrassing shortfall in my knowledge.

What is Flash Fiction?

I did cruise their forums and tried to find a definition, to see if it was something appropriate for me. I never found the definition and don't want to BLAZE out with my ignorance in a fresh thread where ridicule could pop up.

I may even have the name wrong,I am sure they call it FF, and it may be time restricted, both monthly and minutely, if that is a word?

Put me out of my embarrassment, please.

I am encouraged to ask here by the apparent good nature of the posters, thios is not evident in all the forums I have rad online so far. Just a little help, I assure you I am a fast learner, properly primed and pointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.