Consumer Search

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this site in an unrelated thread and I wanted to get some feedback on this writing job. The site says they pay no less than $350 a report and often more. It's NY Times/About.com owned and it's a job requiring a task I do all the time anyway...researching obsessively items I want but can't afford, items I am considering buying, or things someone has bought for me. I'm going to apply. Can't hurt. Anyone have any experience with this site?

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
I was checking it out because it sounds interesting. They say you have to write a sample for them that would take their experts 12 hours, and that you should expect for it to take you twice as long. I don't know what it is with the NY Times Companies and expecting people to put in so much work with just the possibility of getting a job! I'm waiting on results from prep (my second one), and I'm still quite hopeful, but the idea of putting in another 24+ hours of work for no compensation isn't all that appealing.

Can you keep us posted on the process, etc.? I wonder if they're super picky.

Christy

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Hmmm... I didn't mean to sound so negative. The job itself actually looks like something I might enjoy. I can be obsessive about researching before I buy something. =}

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
A quote from their ad: "Our report structure is pretty rigid -- some writers really like working within this structure, but others really don't. It's hard to tell until you try it."

I guess if you're willing to put in the time to try it out, why not? But you also have to consider that they will probably assign products to you. They may not always be interesting.

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, moonslice, the sample article is about bottled water. If I can get past this I am sure I can do anything!

Morethanmommy,
Yes, they expect a lot of work for no promised thing. Here they say they will work with you, asking for possible rewrites as needed. That sounds more practical than 14-17 days of hard work on a maybe(not).

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
kiyasmom, with the environmental trend away from bottled water, have you considered water filters instead?
ok, i'll stop with the environmental stuff now... sorry.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
It is nice that they'll work with you... I'd definitely consider it if I didn't get the About site and had time to recover. I just find it interesting that they have such grueling hiring processes. =}

Bottled water? I guess they want to weed out people who aren't totally excited about the job!

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
moonslice, they assign the sample report. We have to use their articles and write within their template. I would NEVER write about bottled water on my own...not nearly as exciting as reviewing the reviews of the various operating systems...lol! Watch out, my nerdy side is rearing its ugly head!

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
MoreThanMommy, I guess that's the plan! Has to be, because...wow, I fell asleep on the project TWICE~

NBWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have experience with Consumer Search?
I found this thread from 2007 but nothing recent. I think I might apply.

Sweet Pickle

Groovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenpickell.com
Submitted today

Hello, I saw this thread a while ago while lurking and was excited to learn about ConsumerSearch as it appears to be right up my alley. Just wanted to finally jump on and say that I've submitted the required sample report so we'll see how it goes. I've already received a response saying it may take three weeks before I hear back. I'll post here to let everyone know how the process goes.

Sweet Pickle

Groovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenpickell.com
Well, it's officially been a bit over 4 weeks now since I submitted to Consumer Search (but if I don't count Thanksgiving week it would be 3 weeks). I'm wondering if I should send a followup e-mail now or give them another week or two? I don't want to be a pest so I don't want to be sending a followup too soon. I'd love to hear an opinion from someone who has experience with Consumer Search or their parent, About.com. Thanks!