PDA

View Full Version : How women can cope with Hormonal Teenage Boys and Grumpy Old (or Young) Men

aruna
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
There you go! Have fun!
I am waiting for those rp points, PH!

Reference (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1584560&postcount=79)

poetinahat
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I resent the implication here.

I want a listing for hormonal old men.

(now where's my cardigan? this tea isn't hot enough! you kids -- get off of my lawn!)

EriRae
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Great thread! Too bad I work w/ a bunch of women and my husband has the sweetest disposition in the world...guess he'd have to, to put up w/ me. I haven't been around any grumpy old men or hormonal boys in awhile. My male dog likes to bite me when I cut his toenails...does that count?

A. Hamilton
08-28-2007, 11:49 AM
HAHA! Wellll, if it's good for the Goose...,

When I moved into this house two years ago, my grumpy old neighbor man, Mr.O', stomped over to complain about the truck parked in front of his house while we were still moving in, and told us he wanted that spot left empty because he was selling his house and did not want any clutter in front of it. Thus began a year long 'coping' process. He was incessant. He complained about the broken sprinkler, he nosed his way into my garage and asked if we were going to be noisy, he complained again about the moving truck-five minutes after pulling back in-on and on.
After the umpteenth visit in three days, this time with him pushing his way in the house and complaining about our leaning mailbox-(the honeysuckle was tearing it down-but sheesh-we just moved in!) I admit, I caved and I told him off. I didn't realize until I slammed the door in his face that my kids were listening, (they applauded and whooped) - I felt bad, disrespectful, even tho he was out of line, so I took a plate of brownies over to him.
After that, he remained grouchy, but didn't step onto my porch again, and he generously paid for my front lawn to be groomed by his landscaper for three months straight.
I sent the kids over with cookies, brownies, whatever-often. I'd figured it out, he had a smart mouth but a sweet tooth.

DamaNegra
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
How women can cope with Hormonal Teenage Boys and Grumpy Old (or Young) Men

Beat them with a stick??

Bmwhtly
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I find this thread offensive!

EriRae
08-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I find this thread offensive!

*holds up Bmwhtly* -- Hey look, I found one :) WOOT! Now I'm happy!

Haggis
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I resent the implication here.

I want a listing for hormonal old men.

(now where's my cardigan? this tea isn't hot enough! you kids -- get off of my lawn!)

Yeah. And what about newts--grumpy old hormonal newts?

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
There you go! Have fun!
I am waiting for those rp points, PH!

Reference (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1584560&postcount=79)We feed them, give them complete control over the remote, bring them cool beverages on a hot day, nod as though everything they say and do is absolutely brilliant, let them believe they are the masters of our domain and then, we meet our friends for ladies night out and giggle ourselves sick.

Unique
08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
fresh mushrooms in a big plate of spaghetti.

JJ Cooper
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
We feed them, give them complete control over the remote, bring them cool beverages on a hot day, nod as though everything they say and do is absolutely brilliant, let them believe they are the masters of our domain and then, we meet our friends for ladies night out and giggle ourselves sick.

Works for me.

JJ

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
What can we expect? As mothers, we praise their every bowel movement for years... how can they not demand accolades and attention for the rest of their lives? :D

aadams73
08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
There are two ways to deal with men: 1. Feed them. 2. Give them a jar of Vaseline and point them to the bathroom.

:roll:

rhymegirl
08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm...Yes. I am familiar with both species.

My son is currently a teenager. I don't know about the hormones bit, but he is grumpy. Call him to get up in the morning. "Yeah yeah, what?" Call him again. "O------KAY!" Still won't get up. Call him again. "ALL-RIGHT!" Then some obscenities under the breath.

As for grumpy old men, you mean like my husband? Oh man, yes he can be grumpy. They need to make Midol for men to deal with those mood swings.

JJ Cooper
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
There are two ways to deal with men: 1. Feed them. 2. Give them a jar of Vaseline and point them to the bathroom.

:roll:

:)

JJ

aruna
08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
When I moved into this house two years ago, my grumpy old neighbor man, Mr.O', stomped over to complain about the truck parked in front of his house while we were still moving in, and told us he wanted that spot left empty because he was selling his house and did not want any clutter in front of it. .

He sounds just like a neighbor we had for two years! And this was during my son's worst teenage years, so you can imagine. Most of all he complained the music was too loud. I lived in a constant state of tension - the cookie thing never occurred to me (I'm not a cookie kind of lady)! I just tried to be always nice and polite,smiling and greeting and keeping his temper down and son's window closed.
Then the day we moved out my son parked the car in front of his garage for about half an hour (ready to move it if he had needed to drive in or out of the garage.) Grumpy old neighbor had a tantrum.
And my son just had a tantrum back. He told him to - oh hell I can't say it. I just can't. help me. It begins with F.....

Two years of trying to be nice down the drain!

What can we expect? As mothers, we praise their every bowel movement for years... how can they not demand accolades and attention for the rest of their lives? :D

true enough...

As for grumpy old men, you mean like my husband? Oh man, yes he can be grumpy. They need to make Midol for men to deal with those mood swings.

I'm not telling tales on mine, but let;s just say he's High Maintenance. Very High Maintenance.

maestrowork
08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I look forward to the day I become a grumpy (dirty) old man.

Haggis
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Do you mean that when you told me yesterday, "Good boy! You make big poop," you didn't really mean it? :e2cry:

NeuroFizz
08-28-2007, 04:12 PM
It's a no-brainer, how a woman can take the grump out of a man. No-brainer, indeed, since it focuses below the equator.

rhymegirl
08-28-2007, 04:15 PM
It's a no-brainer, how a woman can take the grump out of a man. No-brainer, indeed, since it focuses below the equator.

Yeah, but then they go right back to being grumpy.

Bmwhtly
08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh wait, I have to wait until I'm old before I can be grumpy?

That's not fair!

NeuroFizz
08-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but then they go right back to being grumpy.
I go to sleep.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but then they go right back to being grumpy.In the hopes we will resort to such measures again. :)

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Oh wait, I have to wait until I'm old before I can be grumpy?

That's not fair!Life's not fair, cupcake. :D

rhymegirl
08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
In the hopes we will resort to such measures again. :)

Oh, so that's what it is--a fiendish plot. Perennial grouch.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh, so that's what it is--a fiendish plot. Perennial grouch.Yep, that is why while they are getting ready for a repeat performance we lift the visa/mastercard out of their wallets. Life has to have some balance you know. :D

I am kidding! sheesh.

NeuroFizz
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh, so that's what it is--a fiendish plot. Perennial grouch.
Fiendish plot? One can teach a chicken to peck a toy piano every time a light goes on if a morsel of food drops down in response... You flatter us when you place this type of behavior above that of the chicken.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Fiendish plot? One can teach a chicken to peck a toy piano every time a light goes on if a morsel of food drops down in response... You flatter us when you place this type of behavior above that of the chicken.Just remember, you said it, not us. :)

NeuroFizz
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Just remember, you said it, not us.
We just adhere to the practice of behavioral parsimony... All ye women should try it sometime. Ockham's Razor isn't for shaving legs and armpits.

Parsimony Lost

The days turn dark
as a moonless night
her extinguished spark
she-to-whom-we-beg
uses Ockham’s Razor
to shave her leg.

Even if guarded well
the swirling drain
backs up to a swell
any form of parsimony
forever trapped within
the hair-knot of matrimony

aadams73
08-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Fiendish plot? One can teach a chicken to peck a toy piano every time a light goes on if a morsel of food drops down in response... You flatter us when you place this type of behavior above that of the chicken.

There's a joke in here somewhere... Something about men, chicken, and peckers.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I love it when you do that. You rock Neuro. :)

waylander
08-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Beer, sex and pizza works just fine

aruna
08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
This thread is soooo disappointing.:(

NeuroFizz
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry, Sharon. If you want a high-brow existential discussion on human motivations and behavior, you shouldn't look for insight from the male of the species. Nor should the approach of a female to the male be overly complex or overwrought. Come to think of it, that may be crux of the problem of how females react to males, or at least to the problem you're seeing in the thread.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Do you mean that when you told me yesterday, "Good boy! You make big poop," you didn't really mean it? :e2cry:

How big can newt poop be, anyway?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Ol' Boy says, "Show up nekkid. Bring beer. Men will be happy."

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Guns and hostility.

davids
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Ol' Boy says, "Show up nekkid. Bring beer. Men will be happy."

As long as you wear them there scarlet knickers sound about right to me-see I am easy-tricked ya did not me? nekkid does not allow the ripping of said knickers ever gently yet marginally lustily over yer hayd! Most a us Harley boys gotta do some knicker rippin to feel just 'bout raht!

Azrael don't forget the guns and the hosiery-er hostility-gotta have some macho prizms of calculated agropophonic musings my dear!

Salem
08-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I know this won't go over well amongst most people in this thread, but I've yet to meet a man that was difficult to deal with. A lot of women, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass.

davids
08-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I know this won't go over well amongst most people in this thread, but I've yet to meet a man that was difficult to deal with. A lot of women, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass.

That is it-I declare my undying love for Salem!

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 07:48 PM

Oh there are difficult men out there. Luckily, they're about as hard to find as a simple woman.

Salem
08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
All I'm saying is I have personally yet to meet a man that was difficult. I'm sure there must be some out there if you are all telling me so, I just haven't come across any.

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 07:58 PM
All I'm saying is I have personally yet to meet a man that was difficult. I'm sure there must be some out there if you are all telling me so, I just haven't come across any.

All the men in my novels are ridiculously difficult...at least that's what the female MC thinks. In her opinion they're a touchy bunch of emotional rejects, but she's in love with two of them, and the other is her great(x7) grandson...so she's gotta deal with their emotional baggage as best she can.

Elincoln
08-28-2007, 08:04 PM

It's usually fixed with a tranquilizer dart and duct tape.

hehehe

aruna
08-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Sorry, Sharon. If you want a high-brow existential discussion on human motivations and behavior, you shouldn't look for insight from the male of the species. Nor should the approach of a female to the male be overly complex or overwrought. Come to think of it, that may be crux of the problem of how females react to males, or at least to the problem you're seeing in the thread.

My son eventually grew out of it; he's now a fine young man. Husband - well, I guess he can't help it now that he's ill but a lifetime of grumbling prior to this doesn't really help.

Well, I have a few anecdotes.
A boyfriend I once had: I was about 30 at the time. He a few years older, American, PhD student, in Psychology of all things, at Harvard. We all lived in a big house in Cambridge, Mass; I didn't have a room, I slept in a cupola at the top of the house.

This guy had the tendency to turn into a raging madman at the drop of a hat. Twice I was the receiver of his rage, for things that would not have bothered me if they'd been done to me: once I put something (a thing we both wanted) into his room, as a surprise. Once I moved some equipment (boxes and stuff) of his in the basement to make a working space for myself (I'd been given permission by the owner of the house to make room for myself).
On both occasions this guy flew into a such a rage, he almost foamed at the mouth. He YELLED at me as if I had personally destroyed all his possessions and left him homeless; stuff about "invading his space" and all that.
Well, look, I was sorry if he felt that way but a few quiet words were all that were needed!

I'm sorry, but giving a guy like that sex and a beer to calm them down just doesn't work with me!

Oh yes, and once he invited me to go sailing with him. A few days later he un-invited me, because his sailing club was whites-only.

I know lots of difficult men and easy women. (easy -not in THAT sense!)

Dawno
08-29-2007, 07:10 AM

Tonight I'm trying beer. I'll let you know how that works out.

Danger Jane
08-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Boys are yucky but oh so cute

how long until there's a "how can anyone cope with stupid teenage girls" thread?? (I'm looking at you, SP)

ErylRavenwell
08-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Well, I have a few anecdotes.
A boyfriend I once had: I was about 30 at the time. He a few years older, American, PhD student, in Psychology of all things, at Harvard. We all lived in a big house in Cambridge, Mass; I didn't have a room, I slept in a cupola at the top of the house.

This guy had the tendency to turn into a raging madman at the drop of a hat. Twice I was the receiver of his rage, for things that would not have bothered me if they'd been done to me: once I put something (a thing we both wanted) into his room, as a surprise. Once I moved some equipment (boxes and stuff) of his in the basement to make a working space for myself (I'd been given permission by the owner of the house to make room for myself).
On both occasions this guy flew into a such a rage, he almost foamed at the mouth. He YELLED at me as if I had personally destroyed all his possessions and left him homeless; stuff about "invading his space" and all that.
Well, look, I was sorry if he felt that way but a few quiet words were all that were needed!

What a horse's ass, this guy. Why did you put up with this kind of abuse?

aruna
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
What a horse's ass, this guy. Why did you put up with this kind of abuse?

See thread title! Lots of women try to cope with abuse by being "nice" and "loving" to difficult men. Usually doesn't work. I used to think that "being nice" would solve all problems, and one of the great things about turning 50 is that I'm no longer afraid not to be nice when niceness is not warranted or deserved! Oh yes, I speak my mind a lot more now. I used to be what they call these days, I think, a "surrendered woman". Note to all women: IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Danger Jane
08-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Hmm, one of my friends could use that advice...knocked into her head with a hammer...

Except on the orders of her freakish boyfriend who lives 3000 miles away from her she blocked me out of her life by all means possible, and I'm not about to drive to New Hampshire to have a nice heart to heart, not when...it doesn't work. Oh well.

ErylRavenwell
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
See thread title! Lots of women try to cope with abuse by being "nice" and "loving". Usually doesn't work. I used to think that "being nice" would solve all problems, and one of the great things about turning 50 is that I'm no longer afraid not to be nice when niceness is not warranted or deserved! Oh yes,m I speak my mind a lot more now. I used to be what they call these days, I think, a "surrendered woman". Note to all women: IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Doffed my hat to you. That's the spirit I prefer in a woman. I have absolutely no respect for a woman perpetually trapped in a maso-sadistic relationship...only pity perhaps. A hell of their own making.

A. Hamilton
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
It's not often I'll stereotype (I try not to-really!) but the most difficult men in my life have been the 'strong silent' types. Moody guys, too sensitive. They don't rant often, instead, they seethe. There was one that I swear suffered from something quite similar to PMS. The only way to deal with him when he was like that was to be in different buildings.

aruna
08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Doffed my hat to you. That's the spirit I prefer in a woman. I have absolutely no respect for a woman perpetually trapped in a maso-sadistic relationship...only pity perhaps. A hell of their own making.

I can't say I was ever a masochist, nor am I drawn to sadists, and most of the men I've known have been far more nice than nasty. But I did have the attitude that it was always me who had to be understanding, sweet and gentle, no matter what he did.
I've been married twice, and both of those men are EXTREMELY difficult; and yet in almost diametrically opposite ways!

My first husband was a professional musician, and he was just crazy-difficult; he was high-energy, talked non-stop and couldn't stay in one place or with one thing for an instant. He was very funny and entertaining and upbeat, but really, no woman could keep up with him. It was as if he constantly gave off electric sparks.

My second husband is just the opposite; think Eeyore.

aruna
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
PS - re my last comment - please remember that Eeyore in spite of all his gloom and doom was extremely lovable.

One of my husband's most lovable attributes is that he really does love me and even if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room he would not even look up - he thinks I am the most beautiful thing alive. If not for that I would have been over the hills and far away long ago; I can only take so much gloom and doom!

My first husband however was constantly flirting (even in my presence) and looking at other women and making me know that so-and-so was FAR more beautiful etc etc. I can only take so much disloyalty... we are still good friends, though.

rhymegirl
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
One of my husband's most lovable attributes is that he really does love me and even if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room he would not even look up - he thinks I am the most beautiful thing alive.

See, this I don't understand. My husband would definitely look up if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room and I would have no problem with that. I think that is a perfectly normal response. He's a man and he has appreciation for a beautiful woman. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't love me. And if a woman is secure with herself, she does not feel threatened by a man looking.

aruna
08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
See, this I don't understand. My husband would definitely look up if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room and I would have no problem with that. I think that is a perfectly normal response. He's a man and he has appreciation for a beautiful woman. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't love me. And if a woman is secure with herself, she does not feel threatened by a man looking.

I wouldn't mind either; I don't set much store on physical attraction or being physically attractive to any man... I am secure in that I know I am valuable for myself, in myself, and not for my body, and I much prefer it that way. I am not envious of other, more beautiful women. Looks just aren't that important to me. I lost interest in sex and sexiness long ago.

But that really is the way he is. We watch movies together and he always found the most beautiful actresses unattractive. At least, that's what he says. And her really doesn't turn his head for women, so it's not just empty words.

aruna
08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
PS and my first husband didn't just look - he acted as well. He had numerous affairs even in the first year of our marriage, and always told me. Immediately. I was secure enough in myself to know I didn't want this kind o fa marriage!

thethinker42
08-29-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah, but kicking someone who's already grumpy just doesn't seem very nice...

thethinker42
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM

You should meet my father-in-law, then.

Though in a way, I agree with you...in my experience, a woman who's a pain in the ass tends to be MORE of a pain than a MAN who's a PITA.

But there is no shortage of men who are difficult to deal with.

maestrowork
08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I am very difficult. Just so you know.

davids
08-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I am very difficult. Just so you know.

HAH!!!! I am much more difficlutz than what you are-I am also peevish-reluctant to talk about my genius-always petulant-never drunk-and always eggstremely rich which I enjoy cause what it allow me to lord over the lesser ones-heh heh!!!! Oh-I am defeyenately mean and nasty as well-just to let you know!!!!

Kate Thornton
08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Grumpy teenaged boys: icky-poo!

Hormonal old men: mmm! Bring 'em on!

davids
08-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Every able bodied and marginally if not totally grumpy old men on the bus-we are off to Kate's house!!!!

reigningcatsndogs
08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
HAH!!!! I am much more difficlutz than what you are-I am also peevish-reluctant to talk about my genius-always petulant-never drunk-and always eggstremely rich which I enjoy cause what it allow me to lord over the lesser ones-heh heh!!!! Oh-I am defeyenately mean and nasty as well-just to let you know!!!!

Yeah, yeah, but you are much easier to deal with -- just pick you up by your little antenna, snap some elastic bands around your claws and wave you over a pot of boiling water for a minute, and you'll fall back in line (Holy Sh*t how I wish I could have done that with my F-I-L!!)

reigningcatsndogs
08-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Morning, Salem!!!:) Sorry, I'm laughing as I read this, because if you had every had the (NOT) pleasure of meeting my F-I-L, you would understand why. I swear on all that is holy, people came to the funeral just to make sure he was gone, and they didn't make any bones about it! They don't come any more difficult that him, although I really hope you're right and that he is the exception to the rule.

davids
08-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah, yeah, but you are much easier to deal with -- just pick you up by your little antenna, snap some elastic bands around your claws and wave you over a pot of boiling water for a minute, and you'll fall back in line (Holy Sh*t how I wish I could have done that with my F-I-L!!)

You may tape my claws anytime sweetheart-but you might just be losing a pleasant scratch fer what ails ya!

Chumplet
08-29-2007, 11:56 PM

It's called Paxil. Just kidding, but not really. As far as coping, there's nothing like good ol' BNO (Bitches Night Out). My three friends and I manage to have an overnighter sans men/boys once or twice a year. Keeps us from killing them.

maestrowork
08-29-2007, 11:59 PM
It's called Paxil. Just kidding, but not really. As far as coping, there's nothing like good ol' BNO (Bitches Night Out). My three friends and I manage to have an overnighter sans men/boys once or twice a year. Keeps us from killing them.

The men have BNOs every week for similar reasons. ;) That and beer. Now you know why men like their beers so much.

Cassiopeia
08-30-2007, 04:20 AM
HAH!!!! I am much more difficlutz than what you are-I am also peevish-reluctant to talk about my genius-always petulant-never drunk-and always eggstremely rich which I enjoy cause what it allow me to lord over the lesser ones-heh heh!!!! Oh-I am defeyenately mean and nasty as well-just to let you know!!!!are you sure you don't drink? ;)

davids
08-30-2007, 04:32 AM
are you sure you don't drink? ;)

Why dear Cassiopeia what on earth would forge such an idea in your beautiful yet eloquently fertile mind?

Cassiopeia
08-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Why dear Cassiopeia what on earth would forge such an idea in your beautiful yet eloquently fertile mind?I dunno maybe-hic-you are always typing-hic-such outlandish-hic-hic-things-hic-and making us giggle. :D

aruna
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
An example: last night we were watching TV and there was a scene with one of Germany's very few black actresses, Dennenesh Zoude (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hintergittern-fanpage.de/assets/images/Dennenesch_Vita3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hintergittern-fanpage.de/html/dennenesch_zoude.html&h=396&w=281&sz=16&hl=en&start=2&sig2=ONLg_04rU7B-7wqlbY4TJQ&um=1&tbnid=akiQr2jj_MBtxM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=88&ei=R3HWRubOIIe0wAGqn7kY&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDennenesch%2BZoud%25C3%25A9%26ndsp%3D 20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGGL,GG GL:2006-36,GGGL:en%26sa%3DN). I think she;s gorgeous, and said so. Hubby said: She's a bit boring.

maestrowork
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
boring.

;)

Now give me Aishwarya Rai:

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2007/08/aishwarya-rai.jpg