PDA

View Full Version : Questions about genre and marketing

Isadoredog
08-28-2007, 03:50 AM
I need help, please!

I have written about 15 one page (550 - 700 words) humorous essays about my day-to-day experiences. I intend to write enough to complete a book of some size.

Would those essays be considered in the memoir genre? And, are their publishers willing to buy those without dealing through an agent?

If not, are there agents willing to represent before a memoir is completed based on their zeal for the samples?

Thank you!

(I posted this in nonfiction writing too)

johnrobison
08-28-2007, 03:30 PM
A collection of funny essays is just that, some funny essays. It's not a memoir. In a memoir, each chapter builds upon the previous one toward some kind of powerful conclusion.

While some small publishers buy work directly from authors, the bigger houses all prefer agented submissions.

Isadoredog
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you.

jerrywaxler
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I need help, please!

I have written about 15 one page (550 - 700 words) humorous essays about my day-to-day experiences. I intend to write enough to complete a book of some size.

There are a couple of decent memoirs on my shelf that are a collection of essays, Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott and Leap Days by Katherine Lanpher. If they can do it, I guess it can be done.

Jerry

Shwebb
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Something you can do that might make your work more desirable to an agent is to get your essays accepted in some markets that publish that type of writing. You'd already be demonstrating the marketability of your work. Many writers have gotten started doing just that with their essays.