PDA

View Full Version : D&D

JoNightshade
08-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Yes, I have officially been inducted into the ranks of those who play dungeons and dragons. As in, a game with pencil and paper and dice played by the nerdiest of nerds. I am the only girl in the group and as it turns out I am now the gargantuan fighter-dude who can bench press 250 pounds plus.

I always thought this game was lame but now that we're starting to play it's actually fun. Creating my character was fun too. And our dungeon master is great at storytelling with sound effects so that should also be awesome.

Oh man, I am a nerd.

TheIT
08-28-2007, 03:06 AM
I've been playing D & D for about 17 years now. Someone started a group at work, and yes, usually I'm the only female in the room, too.

For a writer, it's great experience for POV. As a player, a lot of time you hear what's happening to other characters, but you need to make sure your character only acts on what your character knows. It's also great story fodder. One of my main MCs in my fantasy WIP(s) is loosely based on my first D & D character.

Have fun storming the castle!

dclary
08-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Yep.

Sorry.

Nerd.

writerterri
08-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Dorky nerd.

JoNightshade
08-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Yep.

Sorry.

Nerd.

:cry:

Ah well. I think I've come to terms.

BTW, theIT... yes, I was just thinking about how awesome it was for character creation... :)

Danger Jane
08-28-2007, 03:14 AM
do you have a googolplex sided die?

The_Grand_Duchess
08-28-2007, 03:19 AM
I love D&D! I wish I could play it again :( I was awesome! I had a paladin. I was lawful good but I followed my own law.

I was the only girl besides the dungeon master's wife. Good times.

Esopha
08-28-2007, 03:23 AM
I've always wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons, but never got around to it. I am determined to play at least once before I die.

Monkey
08-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Another PC/DM here.

I've played since I was 16.

I play a lot of other RPG's, too, and now, I even write 'em.

So I guess I'm even nerdier than you.

Nyah.
;)

akiwiguy
08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
I've been playing D & D for about 17 years now. Someone started a group at work, and yes, usually I'm the only female in the room, too.

For a writer, it's great experience for POV. As a player, a lot of time you hear what's happening to other characters, but you need to make sure your character only acts on what your character knows. It's also great story fodder. One of my main MCs in my fantasy WIP(s) is loosely based on my first D & D character.

Have fun storming the castle!

Yes, not D&D, but I have roleplayed online, fantasy scenarios that would be similar, and it demands and develops really quick thinking at creating dialog, developing character etc on the fly. I mean doing it literally as fast as on eis tyoing. I agree that it is a really good exercise for writers, and a lot of ideas are spawned for stories.

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Wow, I haven't played D&D in forever. :) In high school we built a campaign around the world in my books. There were six in our group, but unfortunately I had to play three different characters... It got a little crazy. :D

In college I played with some friends for the first couple semesters, but it's been about 5 years now.

It's fun! Trust me!

Nicole_Gestalt
08-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Welcome ;)

Up until recently I was the only female in our group, but we've had another join us since then. I've been DM'ing the group for 2 years now and having a great time creating the stories for them all :)

in fact it was my doctor's who told me to play it - I even got a prescription for it! (and I'm not joking about that, it was apparently the best thing to help with all my skills at once and it has really helped in lots of ways)

lostintheweb
08-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Not only do me and my wife play D&D, but our childen play it also. Yep! Second generation nerds.

RyanZ
08-28-2007, 05:26 AM
Some of my best memories, and time spent with friends, happened over D&D sessions. I never laughed as hard or as long as I did while playing D&D.

Shadow_Ferret
08-28-2007, 06:11 AM
I played a few times many years ago, probably before many of you were born.

The only thing worthwhile to come out of it were a couple of enduring characters.

LloydBrown
08-28-2007, 06:20 AM
27 years here, and my group is 3 guys and 3 girls, including my wife. I've been pretty open about it--phooey on the reputation. Those "closet case" gamers are afraid of nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

For that matter, it was writing for D&D that got me writing. I sold my first submission, and I went nuts after that. Who else keeps 40-50,000 words on his editor's desk at any given time? Anyone?

Sage
08-28-2007, 06:21 AM
I have played a few D&D campaigns and a d20 Modern, but the d20 system is not my favorite. It can be fun, as long as the GM isn't taking it too seriously. The friend of mine who ran the d20 Mod played with us for the first time, & suddenly realized that, yes, this is supposed to be fun. Apparently, everyone he had gamed with before had taken it so seriously (maybe forgot to do the roleplaying between the battles, I guess).

I like the tristat system & thoroughly enjoyed the BESM games I've been in. I also really like the Buffy game (a d10 system) I'm running... perhaps a little too much these days. Supposedly, we're going to start a Serenity game after mine is over (in one gaming session!), but we'll see whether that happens. It's more likely now that my friend who was going to run it will be working normal 9-5 days.

ETA: Oh, & until recently, the games I've been in have had more female players than male.

sunna
08-28-2007, 06:22 AM
In high school we built a campaign around the world in my books. There were six in our group, but unfortunately I had to play three different characters... It got a little crazy. :D

Funny, we did the same thing with one of my short stories in HS. Everyone got a profile, and we were trying to figure out who everyone else was based on character quirks, and then off each other. (with waterguns, that is! -this worked perfectly fine until there was a real shooting my junior year.:cry:)

I haven't played D&D in forever, but I'll definitely agree that it's great for POV and plot. Be proud. This is the good kind of nerd.

LloydBrown
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I attended a writing seminar hosted by Michael Stackpole at GenCon. He observed that RPG players are strong in character development and DMs are usually better at plotting. I can't disagree.

As I've said many times, it was an awesome seminar.

My-Immortal
08-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I used to play D&D quite a bit when I was younger, but not recently. I enjoyed DMing a lot - creating the stories, the characters, the maps, the traps....and tweaking a few rules so that fun reigned supreme. I'm sure all the old books, magazines, game modules are obsolete by now....but maybe someday I'll dig it all out and teach my kids (when they're old enough to keep the dice out of their mouths! LOL)

Take care all -

AceTachyon
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
27 years here, and my group is 3 guys and 3 girls, including my wife.

You've got me beat by 3 years. :D

No recent gaming for me (sadly) as my group is scattered across Northern California. Some have kids so large blocks of time (the usual 10 hours of gameplay) are hard to come by.

But when the call comes from the gang for a day of D&D, Shadowrun, or the like, I'll be there.

Those were great days.

Opty
08-29-2007, 11:15 AM
"I got my twelve sided die and im ready to roll
with a wizard and my goblin crew,
my friends are comin over to my moms basement
bringin funyuns and the mountain dew,

I got a big broad sword made out of cardboard
and that stereo's a-pumpin zeppelin,
its that time of the night
we turn on the black light
let the dungeons and the dragons begin,

It's d&d!
fighting with the legends of yore.
It's d&d!
never kissed lady before (nope).

Now the lord of the rings, the dark crystal and things,
we use these as a reference tool,
and when we put on our cloaks and tell warlock jokes
We're the coolest kids in the school

No we're not
I know

Now tiche's a real bastard but a fair dungeon master,
he's got hit points and charisma to lend,
i rehearse in my room or what i call the dragons tomb
When I'm not, I'm with my girlfriend,

It's d&d!

...wait...

You've got a girlfriend?
Yeah.

Yeah?

...No.

It's d&d!
warriors that terrify.
It's d&d!
virgins 'til the day we...

1,2,3,4!

...Die!"

Stephen Lynch's, "D&D" from Superhero.

badducky
08-29-2007, 11:29 AM
The only reason it's nerdy is because the severe lack of women.

Women who game aren't nerdy. They are, in fact, supremely hot. They are the reason straight men go to Renaissance Fair in costumes. They are the reason A-Kon is so awesome. Female gamers are the sun, the moon, and the stars in the daydreams of rational men everywhere.

Also, watch out for sorcerors. They like to try that 25+ charisma on anything with boobs. Still, some rolls require a natural 20, no matter what the modifiers say!

EriRae
08-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Nobody ever thought I was hot for playing RPG's...where were those guys? Why wasn't I gaming w/ those guys?

Wait...wait...D&D. My husband DM'd and we would play, just the two of us. Is that even considered a game? But he thought I was hot, at least...

Fricken Vampire the Requiem spoiled gaming for me FOREVER. SUCKED ASS. Our group was a bunch of weaklings (2 other girls, 3 guys and a male GM). Nobody in our group wanted to fight, so my chick was the strongest...and they complained when I wasn't able to fight off three badass vamps on my own. Haters. So I quit...hope they're getting whooped by those three vamps.

badducky
08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
In PnP, I always preferred straight-up fighters.

The math for the bards and sorcerors was just... no... No.

oswann
08-29-2007, 03:25 PM
I was invited once to play and promptly kicked out because I wanted to called myself Roger. Apparently the nerds who were playing said I had to have some name like Viktorix or Zemberdawn or some such bollocks. I refused and was bounced. Sad.

Os.

dclary
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Preposterous. My first character was a dwarf thief named Mark the Mighty. (anyone who ever played original or 2nd Edition D&D knows how ridiculous the concept of a dwarven thief is to begin with)

Anyway, his entire job was to sneak up on stuff and see just how bad it was going to kill us. If he survived the initial attack, everyone else would run up to save him. Called alternatively "Baggins Burglary Method" or "CON vs DEX Thieving"

The_Grand_Duchess
08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Preposterous. My first character was a dwarf thief named Mark the Mighty. (anyone who ever played original or 2nd Edition D&D knows how ridiculous the concept of a dwarven thief is to begin with)

Anyway, his entire job was to sneak up on stuff and see just how bad it was going to kill us. If he survived the initial attack, everyone else would run up to save him. Called alternatively "Baggins Burglary Method" or "CON vs DEX Thieving"

You know, we had a situation like that in my game too. The diffrence was we didn't plan it, the dude was just an idiot.

David Erlewine
08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
D&D nearly ended my father's life about 20 years ago.

I knew he and my brother were "playing" in the basement (after my brother had worn my father down to the point that he agreed to play one game).

When they were down there "too long", I went down to check in. My brother asked if I wanted to join in, and I said no. I asked my dad his character name and he calmly uttered, "Arnold Saul Salinsky". I immediately laughed, realizing the acronym.

My brother squinted at me, realized what the acronym was, and yelled at my father, who was sprinting up the stairs, laughing like a little kid.

One of my fondest memories.

SherryTex
08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Kevin the strong, a natural rolled 18. Took names, took em down.
and Kashta --when D&D started branching out, a preestablished ninja and thief. She rocked. Actually, she did a lot of hiding in the shadows and jumping out at people, until we came to a glass castle, no shadows. That was...unfortunate.

plaidearthworm
08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I played a few times back in high school, even wrote a poem about the tragic death of a character. But I was the only girl (back in the day, a sweet young thing) in the group of textbook nerds, so they put up with it pretty well. Years later, I discovered the Lovecraft RPG 'Lurking Horror' (or something to that effect) and had a blast! That was such a fun game, although I never looked at those giant floor polishers the same way again.

dclary
08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
You know, we had a situation like that in my game too. The diffrence was we didn't plan it, the dude was just an idiot.

I may be entirely glamorizing the actual events. There's little evidence in my history to indicate I'm not also an idiot.

Sheryl Nantus
08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
first character I played was a female dwarf.

in a party made up of mostly dwarves.

first time I ran around a corner solo, the DM yelled at the other dwarves - "You've got to go with her! She's so rare that you must protect her!"

it was fun.

:D

now I mostly play NWN with a sweet halfling rogue called Whisper...

MattW
08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I played briefly as a pre-teen. Odd that my brother and I both developed a fairly strong middle-eastern flavor of characters at the age of 7 and 8.

Some weak attempts to resurrect gaming as a teen led to more disappointment, even though I found a common interest with some friends I never expected. We got mauled by a random encounter with goblins on the way to the dungeon. Never played again.

jhtatroe
08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I play D&D. I'm on a quest to prove to all the people I know who don't play that it really is fun. I picked up the new book, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress at GenCon (I think it officially releases next month) and it's a great chick-lit-ish take on women playing D&D.

JoNightshade
08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
The only reason it's nerdy is because the severe lack of women.

Women who game aren't nerdy. They are, in fact, supremely hot. They are the reason straight men go to Renaissance Fair in costumes. They are the reason A-Kon is so awesome. Female gamers are the sun, the moon, and the stars in the daydreams of rational men everywhere.

Oh, I am made quite aware of this every time I walk into our local comic store. (Same thing applies to girls who dig comics.) Honestly it's dangerous to go in there without my husband-- I could drown in drool.

Uncarved
08-29-2007, 11:52 PM

*Meow*

....gives badducky +20 Stamina as a treat....

dclary
08-30-2007, 12:10 AM
*Meow*

....gives badducky +20 Stamina as a treat....

Which is what *every* d&d geek needs, especially re: women...

TheIT
08-30-2007, 12:14 AM
For the D & D fans out there, be sure to check out www.nodwick.com (http://www.nodwick.com) , the Nodwick comic by Aaron Williams.

We have lots of different character names in my DND group. One of my favorite exchanges ever:

Player 1 to Player 2: "Did you hear what <player 3> is naming his magic user? Howard. What sort of a name is Howard for a wizard?"
Player 2: "Oh, I don't know. Doesn't sound so bad to me."
Player 1: "Really? Why, what's your magic user's name?"
Player 2: "Fred."

robeiae
08-30-2007, 12:14 AM
I played Chainmail.

JoNightshade
08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Question: Does anyone know if there's a website or something where you can plug in your character's stats, weapons, etc. and it will generate a picture of the character? I was thinking that would be kinda cool and I'm sure someone else has thought of doing it...

ajkjd01
08-30-2007, 12:21 AM
*Guilty!

Yes, I too am a major dork.

Not just D&D, but d20 Star Wars, and much of the White Wolf World of Darkness. I'd actually written a Silver Fang Philodox who was the lost relative of the Romanovs....awesome.

I can't disagree with those who have commented on being a DM and learning how to build a story and keep it within rules. Character creation is what those games are about!

Uncarved
08-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Which is what *every* d&d geek needs, especially re: women...

Precisely;)

jennifer75
08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes, I have officially been inducted into the ranks of those who play dungeons and dragons. As in, a game with pencil and paper and dice played by the nerdiest of nerds. I am the only girl in the group and as it turns out I am now the gargantuan fighter-dude who can bench press 250 pounds plus.

I always thought this game was lame but now that we're starting to play it's actually fun. Creating my character was fun too. And our dungeon master is great at storytelling with sound effects so that should also be awesome.

Oh man, I am a nerd.

D&D is like a bad STD...you just can't get rid of it.

LloydBrown
08-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Question: Does anyone know if there's a website or something where you can plug in your character's stats, weapons, etc. and it will generate a picture of the character? I was thinking that would be kinda cool and I'm sure someone else has thought of doing it...

Wizards of the Coast just announced a 4th Edition of D&D a couple of days before this thread started. One of the features they're going to offer is extensive online support, including the ability to create an "avatar" for online visualization. Basically, they're doing an onscreen version of the vinyl battlemat, and you can make your character WYSIWIG.

It should be running by the time the new edition hits in May '08.

EriRae
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Wizards of the Coast just announced a 4th Edition of D&D a couple of days before this thread started. One of the features they're going to offer is extensive online support, including the ability to create an "avatar" for online visualization. Basically, they're doing an onscreen version of the vinyl battlemat, and you can make your character WYSIWIG.

It should be running by the time the new edition hits in May '08.

*groan* MORE BOOKS? They're going to make us buy MORE BOOKS? We have two or three different editions already, with all the monster manuals, compendiums, different classes, etc. I like the online idea...as long as we don't have to pay monthly for it (WoW).

I loved the D20 Star Wars game. Except for the dark-side points. I had nothing to do w/ the force, but I still managed to get a couple dark-side points. Stunning a guy to death will do that to ya.

jhtatroe
08-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I like the online idea...as long as we don't have to pay monthly for it (WoW).

Prepare to be disappointed, then.

MattW
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
For the D & D fans out there, be sure to check out www.nodwick.com (http://www.nodwick.com) , the Nodwick comic by Aaron Williams.

There's lots of good gaming comics out there, but I love The Order of the Stick.

LloydBrown
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
They're not going to MAKE you buy more books, but here's my prediction--the new books will be good enough that you'll want to buy them.

The online support will have both free and subscription sections. None of it will be necessary for play.

I plan to subscribe ASAP.

Backward Masking
08-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I've dabbled in roleplaying a little. The game is HackMaster (a D&D parody/D&D 2nd Ed). Had a nearsighted dwarf with insecurity issues, not nearly as cool as the monk with Tourette's syndrome, but whatever. Good times they were.

Mjollnir13
08-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I played D&D for many years and have many great memories. I remember when my brother got the basic set for Xmas of 78. He would DM and a few of his freinds and I would campaign. It is one the reasons I am so into fantasy.

I just bought the rp game Paranoia. I am reading up on it now, hope to get my wife and some of the family together over the weekend to try it out...sounds fun. I also just rebought the basic D&D set my brother had.

RP games are a good way to spend a great time with friends/family. Like somebody else said, some of the funniest things I have ever experienced were playing rp games. One time that stands out...

We were playing a RP game about being mobsters, I think it was called Mobster. Anyway, one of my friends was going to throw a molotov cocktail through the window of an enemies speakeasy. He went to smash the window then throw the bomb, but he couldn't break the window. He tried like 10 times but couldn't do it. A guy(npc) came walking down the street so my friend asked him to help break the window, the guy agreed. So my friend and the npc were trying to break the window but neither could. Finally the guy left. Then, another guy came walking down the street so my friend asked him to help. The guy said okay but actually was a hitman for the speakeasy's boss. During an attempt to break the window, the npc pulled out a gun and shot my friend. We never laughed so hard.