PDA

View Full Version : When you are sad...

CaroGirl
08-28-2007, 01:25 AM
What do you buy for yourself when you feel sad? For me, it's books and pyjamas. Today is my wedding anniversary (thank you) which my dog of a husband forgot. So, this afternoon I bought myself a brand new novel. If I don't feel happier tomorrow, I suspect I might have to get myself a new set of PJs. You?

Danger Jane
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't buy stuff when I'm sad. But new albums and also candy are nice. Sorry your husband forgot...

The Scip
08-28-2007, 01:30 AM
I usually write when I'm sad

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I usually write when I'm sad

Same here. As far as things I buy...novels and video games. :)

I say you should forget something that's important to him...maybe like washing his clothes? ;)

Danger Jane
08-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I cry when I'm sad also

The Scip
08-28-2007, 01:39 AM
video games

I don't have to be sad to buy video games.

I cry when I'm sad also

I'm not really a person who cried to much. I suppose if I was, I would cry when I was sad though.

jennifer75
08-28-2007, 01:41 AM
What book did you buy?

PS.....kick the dog in the nads.

maestrowork
08-28-2007, 01:41 AM
I don't buy anything when I'm sad. I hate shopping, so to go shopping would make me even sadder.

If I must buy something, probably would be DVDs... probably a happy movie so I can laugh and make myself feel a bit better.

jennifer75
08-28-2007, 01:42 AM
What do you buy for yourself when you feel sad? For me, it's books and pyjamas. Today is my wedding anniversary (thank you) which my dog of a husband forgot. So, this afternoon I bought myself a brand new novel. If I don't feel happier tomorrow, I suspect I might have to get myself a new set of PJs. You?

OH and I usually shop when I've had it too. The last time I shopped and didnt care about the repercussions, I bought a new bra. I do that when I really deserve a treat. Cause you know, they cost like a hundred bucks at VS. :)

Or a book or two or three. :)

Melisande
08-28-2007, 01:43 AM
Sorry your husband forgot...
I don't buy anything when I am sad. I usually pick up the phone and call someone, or clean the house. I can't write when I'm sad.

Danger Jane
I'm not really a person who cried to much. I suppose if I was, I would cry when I was sad though.

well I just cry all the time then....lol

scarletpeaches
Buy a new husband.

Kate Thornton
08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, what book?

And we got married on March 15th so neither of us would forget the Ides of March.
Preventive solution - and it's worked for 29 years.

PS - I am so sorry he forgot. Does he even know how much this hurt you?

William Haskins
08-28-2007, 01:45 AM
What do you buy for yourself when you feel sad?

dog food, hydrogen-peroxide, pork chops beyond the expiration dates, irregular bibles, wigs, posters of john waters.

Kate Thornton
08-28-2007, 01:46 AM
dog food, hydrogen-peroxide, pork chops beyond the expiration dates, irregular bibles, wigs, posters of john waters.
Do you live in my trailer park?

sunna
08-28-2007, 01:50 AM
I also write when I'm sad. Misery makes for great prose, I've found. My husband was on a business trip for our anniversary last week, and I got about 5K written that day, surprisingly none of it purple. Or I buy a book, or a DVD, something I can get lost in for a while, and curl up on the couch. I don't usually cry, as that just gives me a headache and pisses me off.

The kicking thing also works. Nothing like spreading the pain to lessen it. :)

Danger Jane
08-28-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm sad, I should really get off AW and write...

The Scip
08-28-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm sad, I should really get off AW and write...

It works.

Esopha
08-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Gooey chocolate-covered caramel.

And then I eat it.

CaroGirl
08-28-2007, 02:02 AM
I bought Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I wasn't quite sad enough to buy a hard cover. Besides, he just got home from work bearing a necklace and a reservation at a fancy restaurant. His dog house just moved one foot closer to the house.

The Scip
08-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Buy a new husband.

Us males get treated so well here at AW.

sunna
08-28-2007, 02:06 AM
I bought Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I wasn't quite sad enough to buy a hard cover. Besides, he just got home from work bearing a necklace and a reservation at a fancy restaurant. His dog house just moved one foot closer to the house.

That's better. But don't settle. Hold out for a foot rub and a task of some unspecified nature, to be performed later in the evening.

Enjoy dinner!

JoNightshade
08-28-2007, 02:09 AM
And we got married on March 15th so neither of us would forget the Ides of March.
Preventive solution - and it's worked for 29 years.

Ha, that's funny. We got married on March 11, which everyone THINKS is the Ides of March. After the invitations went out I had to field several months of "BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH" by saying, "It's the FIFTEENTH!"

About the anniversary, sorry he forgot, but why didn't you remind him? It seems like you would have discussed plans in advance. My husband doesn't even know what MONTH this is. He never remembers his parents' birthdays. He only remembers my birthday because it's two days before Christmas. ;)

But I guess we're not ones for celebrating days. I don't know why, it's just never been that important to either of us. A couple of years ago we did nothing for Valentine's day. I think he got me some flowers. I told him, I guess I don't feel compelled to do something on Valentine's day because I feel so loved every day. And yes, you are now free to go off and puke. :)

ETA: I guess what I'm getting at is, I don't understand why we, as women, have to look at every "special day" as a test of our man's love depending on how well he performs. If he loves you, he loves you, and what's the day got to do with that?

MidnightMuse
08-28-2007, 02:10 AM
PS.....kick the dog in the nads.

The dog didn't forget your anniversary ! Kick your husband, leave the dog out of it.

Me, I don't buy things when I'm sad - that's how bills pile up :)

JoNightshade
08-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Oh yes, and as for what I buy... hm. I usually get myself a Starbuck's mocha, which requires a mortgage these days.

jennifer75
08-28-2007, 02:15 AM

How exactly did you remind him of the date?

The necklace is a nice gesture.

The_Grand_Duchess
08-28-2007, 02:16 AM
I cry and think on revenge. Well that's what I've been doing lately. It helps.

CaroGirl
08-28-2007, 02:31 AM
How exactly did you remind him of the date?

The necklace is a nice gesture.
He realized it yesterday, when someone else mentioned their anniversary (which is, incidently, on the same date). So he only forgot up until yesterday. Perhaps, technically, that's not forgetting?

The funny thing is, a month ago we talked about our anniversary. He usually forgets or remembers at the last minute, so I'm never surprised, just always disappointed. I know. Always disappointed. I'm such an idiot sometimes. He's otherwise pretty great. He hates buying gifts for other people and is terrible about remembering dates other than his own birthday.

Ah well. I bought a book anyway.

Also, he has arranged for the children to spend the night at his parents' house.

Don't wait up, you crazy AW kids!

Shadow_Ferret
08-28-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm never sad.

Siddow
08-28-2007, 07:09 AM
1. I buy vodka when I'm sad.

2. On our fourth anniversary, we BOTH forgot, until we got the mail, and there was a Happy Anniversary card in there from my grandma.

WriterGirl2007
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM

Oh! I am so sorry that happened! :(

When I'm sad, it depends... Usually I'll get into a good scifi show and watch it as a form of escapism. Or last time I was sad, I watched a season of Closer because it was quite captivating!

benbradley
08-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Buy a new husband.
That's way too extreme. He may still have some good qualities.

Tell him you're going out for a night with the girls (not really a lie, see the Giving "The Girls" a boost thread), and rent a motel room and hire a gigolo.

JJ Cooper
08-28-2007, 08:53 AM
He realized it yesterday, when someone else mentioned their anniversary (which is, incidently, on the same date). So he only forgot up until yesterday. Perhaps, technically, that's not forgetting?

The funny thing is, a month ago we talked about our anniversary. He usually forgets or remembers at the last minute, so I'm never surprised, just always disappointed. I know. Always disappointed. I'm such an idiot sometimes. He's otherwise pretty great. He hates buying gifts for other people and is terrible about remembering dates other than his own birthday.

Ah well. I bought a book anyway.

Also, he has arranged for the children to spend the night at his parents' house.

Don't wait up, you crazy AW kids!

So technically he didn't forget. And the highlighted bit sounds like a normal man to me.:)

A few years ago my wife totally forgot our anniversary. I was so happy I bought the usual last minute gift. I am still getting away with stuff because of that day. Always positives, I say.

JJ

Kudra
08-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't buy anything when I'm sad. I hate shopping, so to go shopping would make me even sadder.

That's me, too.

I like putting on loud music and dancing. Or sitting quietly and reading. Or crawling under the covers and pretending the world doesn't exist.

ATP
08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
ETA: I guess what I'm getting at is, I don't understand why we, as women, have to look at every "special day" as a test of our man's love depending on how well he performs. If he loves you, he loves you, and what's the day got to do with that?

I believe this a comment from an enlightened woman.

JLCwrites
08-28-2007, 10:07 AM
I can't buy anything, or write anything when I am sad.

Mostly I am too busy to do anything about sad feelings, and they usually go away after a few minutes. (Probably because of the busy thing)

If hubby does something thoughtless, I get angry and tell him he is being a doofus.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I hate shopping and the mall. I would rather box my way through my frustration, work out and go outside for a walk while listening to music. It works for me.

ErylRavenwell
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
As I see it although sadness is bad enough, happiness is worse. The higher you get your mood up, the harder the fall.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
As I see it although sadness is bad enough, happiness is worse. The higher you get your mood up, the harder the fall.Sucks to be you? *meant in the nicest possible way* ;)

ErylRavenwell
08-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Sucks to be you? *meant in the nicest possible way* ;)

Bad enough to be me, but it could have been worse: I could have been someone else. :D

Let's not confuse happiness with pleasure.

EriRae
08-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Glad he remembered at the last minute :)

To go along w/ JoNightshade, my husband and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day. My choice. I caught my ex-boyfriend hiding a boquet of flowers under his desk on Feb. 13, and thought they were for me...asked him (since this was now after midnight) if he was going to give me the flowers? "Um...no," he said. I read the card while he was in the bathroom...they weren't for me. They were for the girl he'd hooked up w/ while we were "on a break" a few months before. Ouch.

Flowers mean nothing to me (and real ones die too fast). Candy makes me fat. Dinner at a restaurant makes me really uncomfortable b/c I have serious people-phobia. Doing nothing is so much better than REMINDING me of the jerk I once had.

One of these days, I'm going to be sad enough to write THAT novel, about the jerk. Most days, I'm happy. I'm thankful for what I have.

Susie
08-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Definitely chocolate. Works everytime. Hope none of you are sad for too long.

aadams73
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
To go along w/ JoNightshade, my husband and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day. My choice.

Ditto. My husband shows me he loves me every day. We don't need to be told when to show it, especially by businesses who are trying--duh--to make money.

"You're a BAD husband/wife if you don't by your spouse this expensive item!"

I hate that.

*Ahem* Yes, when I'm sad I buy books and a bag of candy.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Ditto. My husband shows me he loves me every day. We don't need to be told when to show it, especially by businesses who are trying--duh--to make money.

I hate that.

*Ahem* Yes, when I'm sad I buy books and a bag of candy.But...but...I LOVE those little red, shiny heart shaped boxes filled with chocolate. It's blasphemy I tell you, not to get that at least once a year. ;)

aadams73
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
But...but...I LOVE those little red, shiny heart shaped boxes filled with chocolate. It's blasphemy I tell you, not to get that at least once a year. ;)

You can buy them the next day half off--and get twice as many! :D

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
You can buy them the next day half off--and get twice as many! :DSHUSH! Don't be telling the menfolks that! Sheesh...*stomps off...* um...wait..aadams...which way do I go to stomp off in a snit? ;)

aadams73
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
SHUSH! Don't be telling the menfolks that! Sheesh...*stomps off...* um...wait..aadams...which way do I go to stomp off in a snit? ;)

Um...left I think. ;)

Cassiopeia
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Um...left I think. ;)Whew...thanks...didn't want to get lost...k..let's go then ;)

tjwriter
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM

I hate this too. With a friggin' bloody passion. I like practical gifts, so for my husband to spend all his money buying jewelry I'll never wear is stupid.

We do tend to celebrate the important days, but usually it's really low key. Like, for instance, my parent's have volunteered to keep Baby P for our anniversary in December, so I'm looking into maybe doing a weekend getaway thing.

BTW, we married on the day we started dating, six years later. Less dates for him to remember.

DamaNegra
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I buy one or two novels when I'm sad. My mood is immediately boosted. Of course, I get sad about twice or three times a week... so at the rate I'm going I'll either end up bankrupt or with the world's largest personal library.

maestrowork
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Perhaps he never forgot it in the first place, and he just wanted to surprise you? I do that all the time -- pretending I don't remember important dates and then spring on the surprise. And I have an advice for all the ladies -- do not drop hints and act desperate. I hate it when they do that, as if we men are all idiots. That really doesn't bode well with me -- "Have I ever forgotten? No. So why would you think I've forgotten this year?" I mean, come on, I am trying very hard not to let you know I have something planned for the special occasion. Can't you just wait a bit longer? I once planned a whole extravagant event but by the time it happened the mood had soured already because she kept fussing over why I could ever forget. That relationship didn't last long.

CaroGirl
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses! We went out for dinner and a movie (and, yes, I got lucky ;)). Dinner was great and the movie was the highly romantic The Bourne Ultimatum. Husband loved it.

Just for the record, I don't care about expensive gifts. I grew up with parents who had a ton of money but didn't give a shit about me. I just want someone to give a shit about me. That's all.

Hope everyone has a fantabulous day and no one is sad. I give you permission to buy a book anyway, though.

stormie
08-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Chocolate. Dark, dark chocolate.

Kate Thornton
08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
MMMmmmm! Caro, I'd buy *your* book! (and some chocolate)
Although I don't go shopping when I'm sad - I just go lie down and sleep.

Soccer Mom
08-28-2007, 08:45 PM
When I'm sad I log onto Amazon, with predictible results. A little brown box will be coming my way shortly.

Glad it worked out for you Caro. Soccer Dad is horrible on dates. I don't wait for him to remember a special one. I just start reminding him a week in advance.

zahra
08-29-2007, 01:26 AM
If I'm sad, nothing I buy can cheer me up. Plus, I don't like to associate nice things with sadness.

CaroGirl
08-29-2007, 01:30 AM
MMMmmmm! Caro, I'd buy *your* book! (and some chocolate)
Kate, if you could buy my book, I would have several fewer reasons to be sad!

DragonHeart
08-29-2007, 04:09 AM
When I'm sad I just mope around or sleep, I don't really do anything. I hate shopping also so that's about the last thing I'd want to do.

However, when I am feeling a little down I do like to browse Amazon and just get lost searching through all the books. In fact, I'm doing that very thing today after receiving some bad news about my car.

~DragonHeart~

TrainofThought
08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
What do you buy for yourself when you feel sad? For me, it's books and pyjamas. Today is my wedding anniversary (thank you) which my dog of a husband forgot. So, this afternoon I bought myself a brand new novel. If I don't feel happier tomorrow, I suspect I might have to get myself a new set of PJs. You?I donít buy things when Iím sad. I want to stay away from people, not be around them.

Sorry your husband forgot your anniversary.

scarletpeaches
08-29-2007, 04:52 AM
Chocolate. Dark, dark chocolate.

A friend of mine raves about chocolate as dark and bitter as it comes, but unfortunately you don't get it in this country as dark as they like - perhaps you do in Greek Cyprus, which is where they're from.

I prefer milk chocolate, and perhaps a little white - but too much white chocolate is sickly.

maestrowork
08-29-2007, 05:19 AM
I prefer chocolate pants.

WriterGirl2007
08-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Plus, I don't like to associate nice things with sadness.

Now that is a very good point. I've had to give a bunch of stuff to Goodwill recently because the items were associated in my mind with certain sad events. But hey, at least I have the joy of knowing someone else will be enjoying my stuff without the associated negative emotions. :)

Gehanna
08-29-2007, 05:47 AM
When I am sad, I disassemble hardware in order to retrieve functional parts or I purchase new software. Considering that I was just out bid on some software, I'll have to find something to disassemble tonight.

Gehanna

kristie911
08-29-2007, 06:58 AM
I hate shopping but when I get down, I do have a tendency to hit a store or two.

My favorite purchase? Jeans. Always jeans. I have a dozen pair and would have a dozen more if I could afford it. I'm a whore for jeans. :)